WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Once I find employment I'll be looking for some hiking opportunities down here in Arizona. Would like to hike the Grand Canyon.
    Even though I've been going to the GC for literally decades, and almost every year at least once, my wife and I just "discovered" backpacking the Grand Canyon in the winter, specifically January. Tons of loop opportunities, and even though the South Rim is crowded even in the winter, once you drop below the rim on any trail but the main corridor trails (Bright Angel and Kaibab) you will feel like you own the place. And it turns out permits for the BP campgrounds are fairly easy to get (in the winter, at least).

The deep-in-canyon temps in January are quite mild for mid-winter, in the 8 or so nights I've spent in the canyon in January, I doubt if I had below mid-20's, and a lot of nights above freezing for the lows. We're talking at or fairly near the river.

Anyway, we're heading there again this next January, going to try the Escalante trail-loop, I forget the connecting trails. Last year we did Tanner to Tonto over to Boucher and up over three days. Also last year I did the good old Bright Angel down to the river at Phantom Ranch, stayed in the BA campground, nearly OWNED it (though Phantom was booked, as always) and used that camp as a base camp for some stellar day hikes.

So get there soon!

And as Wayne sez: a lifetime of opportunities within maybe 100-150 mile radius of the Four Corners area (SW CO, SE Utah, etc). We just got back from a stellar 4-day trip in Canyonlands, a backpackers heaven, though it is also a national park, somewhat crowded and of course regulated. We got zone permits which allows you to get away from everyone. Next stop I think is the Dark Canyon area. Soon. Remote and rugged and we won't see a soul, pretty much guaranteed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Canyons of the Ancients has attracted my interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

https://www.blm.gov/programs/nationa...f-the-ancients
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Wondering why will never see the southern part again?
    My favorite place [region] on Earth is the South Absaroka Wall of the Bridger-Teton and Shoshone National Forests. Most folks are too scared of grizzlies and wolves to venture into the greatest wilderness of the 48 states. When I look at the remotest summits of the 48 states on a moderate dayhike I am exhilirated to put it mildly. While the Wind Rivers are fabulous and the arguable Backpacking Mecca of the planet they simply never will compare [for me] to the places I love in the Absaroka that I generally only share with the wilderness residents of this greatest mammalian habitat of the Temperate Zone.

We've all got to hike our own hike. I'm older and fatter and the Absaroka, Gros Ventre, and Colorado's Sangre de Cristo are also easier on me than the long distances and relief required to get into the heart of the Winds. In the Absaroka I have greatness just minutes from my undesignated trailheads. I also like horses, and as such don't have much of a desire to horse pack in the Winds as they really are too rugged for horses how many you might see.

Aiko & Barret On Austin Crest.jpgAbsaroka Austin View To Sublette and Gros Ventre Range Danish Dames August 16 2011.jpgAbsaroka From CM CONTRAST 2.jpgAbsaroka Ranch June 2009.jpgAbsaroka Upper Jade August 2013.jpgAbsaroka Tetons From Breccia Divide.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Absarokanaut View Post
    My favorite place [region] on Earth is the South Absaroka Wall of the Bridger-Teton and Shoshone National Forests. Most folks are too scared of grizzlies and wolves to venture into the greatest wilderness of the 48 states. When I look at the remotest summits of the 48 states on a moderate dayhike I am exhilirated to put it mildly. While the Wind Rivers are fabulous and the arguable Backpacking Mecca of the planet they simply never will compare [for me] to the places I love in the Absaroka that I generally only share with the wilderness residents of this greatest mammalian habitat of the Temperate Zone.

We've all got to hike our own hike. I'm older and fatter and the Absaroka, Gros Ventre, and Colorado's Sangre de Cristo are also easier on me than the long distances and relief required to get into the heart of the Winds. In the Absaroka I have greatness just minutes from my undesignated trailheads. I also like horses, and as such don't have much of a desire to horse pack in the Winds as they really are too rugged for horses how many you might see.

Aiko & Barret On Austin Crest.jpgAbsaroka Austin View To Sublette and Gros Ventre Range Danish Dames August 16 2011.jpgAbsaroka From CM CONTRAST 2.jpgAbsaroka Ranch June 2009.jpgAbsaroka Upper Jade August 2013.jpgAbsaroka Tetons From Breccia Divide.jpg
    Looks pretty amazing. Will definitely have to check that out on another trip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++