WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lightweight Camp Shoe/Sandal

Heretofore I have been using off-the-shelf pool shoes. I don't like them because they feel to snug on my feet and they are surprisingly heavy. What do you all wear for camp shoes/sandals? I saw a couple of pair of minimalist sandals which looked good and were around 8 oz, but they wanted like $55 - $75 for a pair of them. Seems like a ton of money for what you are getting. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by zig-zag man; 09-28-2017 at 20:36.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've heard good things about crocs. Not sure about the weight on them, but I have a pair I plan on bringing with me for camp shoes.

knock off crocs from WM ($10 ish). No strap - just slip on. I tie them to the outside of my pack with a bit of cord through the "vents". Nice to have, very nice for the drive home and stops along the way, instead of whatever I hiked in.

I have croc sandals, I like them a bit better as they are adjustable. I could hike in them if needed and they won't come off during a crossing.

Leonidas

https://www.usadawgs.com/collections...ite-shoes-bkbk

8.4 oz for the mens 12-13, or I might have the 10-11. I'm not at home or I would look.

$9.99
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    knock off crocs from WM ($10 ish). No strap - just slip on. I tie them to the outside of my pack with a bit of cord through the "vents". Nice to have, very nice for the drive home and stops along the way, instead of whatever I hiked in.
    These are good for camp and easy crossings, so probably most of the AT. You probably want the strap ones if you go through fast moving water

I have littered the ocean and a stream with a single sandal/crock on two occasions after they flew off

I have found these to be light and they stay on well with the over the top Velcro strap.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhe...ductextensions

Crocs go on sale occasionally through their eBay store. I got a pair for $19.79 shipped. Mine weigh 12.4 oz. (351 grams) in size 9. I'm not sure if I'll take them on the AT with me, but I've got that option now.

Crocs.jpg

I found a couple of things surprising when they arrived. One was the aggressive texturing on the sole; there are lots of little bumps that your feet press against, which are uncomfortable barefoot but OK with camp socks (ragg wool for sleeping). The other was just how cushiony they are, which is quite nice. The straps (if the shoes fit) do an excellent job to keep the Crocs from sliding off: it's pretty much impossible to step out of them without first pushing down on each strap.

Saw some people wearing bedrock sandals on the PCT and thought they would be perfect. Just googled them and found out they were $76. https://bedrocksandals.com/products/classic

Nylon mesh reef walkers with a solid non slip sole. They are found cheaply in the isands like Hawaii for $10 and sometimes less. I see them at pharmacies, wally worlds, etc. I have a pr in xl that weigh a tad over 5 ozs for the pr. Good for coastal hikes but certainly AT capable.

I've seen a few hikers use soft ligher wt ballet shoes and something similar as hospita sock slippers that have had some silicone, Shoo Goo, or Mcnett's Seam Grip lightly smeared to the bottom.

Another camp shoe that I could use is the silny WP over bootie that came with a pr of Goose foot down socks.this is what I could use in winter.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Crocs are pretty heavy... compared to the numerous options available for about 8oz or less.

Crock knock-offs can often be found in places like WalMart. They are usually made with a thinner and inferior material than Crocs, but that's why they will be lighter.

Rather than just sandals, I want something to protect my toes... like these shoes. They weight around that 8oz mark.

Thanks for this post, I just ordered these (actually just got a message and they are out for delivery). So thanks. These look great. I don't really like clogs or flip flops, so nice design for me anyway. I'm not thru hiking but need something for travel that is light weight and multipurpose-- water shoe for kayaking or water crossing for hiking, camp shoe for car camping, slipper for motels, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post

8.4 oz for the mens 12-13, or I might have the 10-11. I'm not at home or I would look.

$9.99

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post

$9.99
    $8 right now

These are my choice.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mesh-Show...&wl13=&veh=sem

Unfortunately I can't fid the mens XL size anywhere and even for a smallish foot it's hard to get the L size on over socks. Sprint Aquatics used to have the XL but they long since sold out and said they wouldn't be getting any more. I looked all over the Chinese sites like aliexpress but can't find them. eBay actually has these a little cheaper and they say Large but I can't verify that they are mens large.

Also, in really cold weather I wear down booties in camp and rubber band these on the bottom for some protection (really good bands that won't snap in the cold).

BTW the Dawgs came in the mail yesterday. They are pretty nice, vey light, and don't fit that great. I'm going to exchange. I have very small feet-- wear a women's 8D, the 7-8 were too small just to give you an idea maybe. OTOH they have a size guide which doesn't appear to strictly speaking go by shoe size.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    eBay actually has these a little cheaper and they say Large but I can't verify that they are mens large.
    I just bought a pair of these and they are mens large. Brand name Jantzen. Only a fraction of an inch shorter than my old Sprint Aqua XLs. More significantly the upper elastic is looser and they fit over socks reasonably well. I can't authoritatively tell because my remaining pairs of the originals are so old and worn but these Jantzens may have a very tiny bit less effective traction and they may weigh an infintesably bit more. On balance these are a great option for street shoe mens size 10 and less folks.

We sell a lot of these to hikers:
    http://www.theunderwearguys.com/neop...ers-p-218.html

3 oz for the women's size 8 I believe.
    Free shipping right now for Christmas season.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Default Lightweight Camp Shoe/Sandal

I swear by the Dollar General brand crocs, they are significantly lighter than the real deal, go on sale for $3 (usually $6), and they only have holes on the top over your toes, not around the sides where sticks/water/debris could enter. But, those Xero sandals have caught my eye for my next hike, I'm just waiting for those suckers to go on sale next year.

comfortable, collapsible, toe protection, less than 4 0z each
    http://a.co/hkm0xQq

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++