WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Does the FKT system on the Appalachian Trail need changing? - ActionHub

ActionHub

Does the FKT system on the Appalachian Trail need changing?
    ActionHub
    On July 19th, Dan Binde summited Mount Katahdin in Maine, the northernmost stop on the Appalachian Trail and claimed an FKT (fastest known time). Ten days after his summit he posted the following on a Fastest Known Time Pro Boards forum: “Yo what up ...

More...

Wow- just flat out ripping off Kate's article in Outside.

What the heck is action hub?
    https://www.outsideonline.com/223460...alachian-trail

Images

The ATC itself acknowledges completions on the honor system, I don't think they are concerned at all with how fast you do it or if you actually did it. So I know they as an organization would never get involved in verifying or improving speed record tracking. They've got much more important things to do than feed a runner's or hiker's ego. It's HYOH. Personally I find FKT to be a ridiculous way to enjoy the A.T. Seems you'd miss all the real beauty cause you're in such a hurry. Misses the point completely. If it's not about seeing how hard you can push your body (which is a little more respectable), then it's just about bragging rights to these people.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Images

OK WELL now that i read the article, i realize the ATC were not mentioned at all. Sorry about that. But my opinion on FKT on these long distance trails stands. To me this is not at all what these long trails should be about. And I always find it startling when I'm out and someone suddenly whizzes up behind and by me while I'm tryng to take a long slow walk in the woods. I almost feel as if I'm in their way slowing them down...
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

The ONLY reason I posted is to point out the plagiarism.
    This is a very basic hack job and repackaging of the article published in Outside magazine and written by Kathyrn Miles.

I've seen a few articles republished (Backpacker published Mouse's piece on knotts) but she was credited and I assume paid to get reprinted.

This is just flat out somebody stealing.

++ New Posts ++