WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Yes, me too! If I can find it, I'll post that pic of you and me.
    Let me know if you try out the Mountains to Sea Trail for your next trail project.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

1,710,000 steps and counting! FishBone's Avatar

Congrats, Rain Man!!!! Always enjoyed hiking with you on the AT. You've always got a bunk available at Casa FishBone up here in the "frozen tundra". Best Wishes!
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Congrats RainMan! I'm going to make one more push this Spring to try a thru, and if not, I will adopt your plan and just eat sections as I can. 2,000 is a great accomplishment no matter how its done. After '11 I got tickled when I was telling people I only made 300 miles. Those words don't fit together for most people.

Congrats, Rainman! Hope you find a new vacation/obsession/destination

A look at the weather in Harper's Ferry suggests that Rain Man is going to earn his trail name this long weekend. You might say, for him, it's the "appellation" trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy TN View Post
    Congrats RainMan! I'm going to make one more push this Spring to try a thru, and if not, I will adopt your plan and just eat sections as I can. 2,000 is a great accomplishment no matter how its done. After '11 I got tickled when I was telling people I only made 300 miles. Those words don't fit together for most people.
    The AT is truly a strange and wonderful place indeed. It is the only place in the entire world where people will say things like "I'm just going to Harper's Ferry" or "I'm just hiking to Davenport Gap" as if walking 200-1,000 miles is a common, everyday thing. "I'm just going to the store to get some milk and bread. I'll be right back."

Congrats on your 300th post and a grade A pun! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    A look at the weather in Harper's Ferry suggests that Rain Man is going to earn his trail name this long weekend. You might say, for him, it's the "appellation" trail.

Images

Congrats Rain Man! Is it done?

Journal Entries

Because I summitted Katahdin in '04 when I drove up to pick up my thru-hiker daughter, that was out as a finish point for me, so I had to select where I wanted to finish otherwise should I keep on and complete the trail. Harpers Ferry seemed a logical place for me, so I skipped the section from Bears Den to HF on purpose, for that purpose. Not that it's all that important where someone finishes, of course.
    Our 10-year hiking plan will finish in 2020. Like you, we've already done Katahdin. Still have a few weeklong sections to do here and there, and saving the Mahoosucs for the last big trip. But .... we started the AT for our 20th anniversary in November 2010. Mahoosucs aren't very doable for us in that month, so I've saved another special section closer to home, one that includes Beauty Spot. The leaves may be mostly off the trees by then, it may be brisk and cold, but that's okay. For us, where we finish and when we finish and how we finish will matter. I kinda think we may load up some food and do this final piece in a different style, slow walking, contemplating the long journey, building campfires, stretching the miles to fill the time.

So I guess today is The Day for you. Congratulations on your long journey. May you savor each s l o w f o o t s t e p.

Images

Congrats again Rain Man!
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Awesome job!!

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
    Chris
    [email protected]
    978-804-1131
    Shuttle services to/from Boston Logan or Manchester, NH airports to/from all points in MA, NH, VT, and ME.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    A premature congrats, lol.
    Ain't over til it's over...
    Is it over?

Images

:banana

It's over! Here's a photo from yesterday morning. Started Saturday mid-morning from Bear's Den Trail Center, hiked leisurely 8 miles to Blackburn and spent night there (my wife drove in). Planned to hike Sunday about 8 or 9 miles to a campsite, but trail was so easy I went about 11.5 miles to the edge of Harpers Ferry on the town side of the Hwy 340 bridge across the Shenandoah River. That left 4/10ths of a mile for Monday (Columbus Day) morning. My last day was also to be my shortest day ever on the AT. Spent night at Farmer Chef's & Mama Bear's home nearby. Teacher drove down from Rhode Island!

Monday morning we woke up to a drizzle of rain, but after a hearty breakfast at FC's & MB's, the rain stopped and we caravaned back to HF. Teacher and my pup "Boone" hiked with me and the others went to the ATC HQ to pave the way for my arrival, including a crepe paper "ribbon" for me to break.

The volunteer crew at the ATC had sparkling cider and champagne glasses for all to share. SWEET!

So, my photo is in the official 2017 book! As a 14-year section hiker, I've had many "ends" to hikes on the AT, but always there were others to come to complete the thing. Not this time. Surreal drive home yesterday.

Many, many thanks for all the congrats ... and especially for all the wonderful true "trail magic" of help, support, advice, and friends made along the years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rain Man; 10-10-2017 at 16:44.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

1. Ready to hit the trail at Bear's Den Trail Center, where I left off some years ago, on Saturday morning.

2. Sign at the north end of the infamous "Roller Coaster," though the three climbs north of Bear's Den were easy (especially after just finishing Maine last month). Also, I met Bobby Lowry on the trail, '79 thru-hiker, who laid out the Roller Coaster with Trail Boss.

3. Blackburn Trail Center, Saturday afternoon. Wife ("Stitch") and I (and our pup "Boone") ran out to a road-side BBQ place for dinner. YUMM.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Trail signs along the way on Sunday!

Images

1. What a nice sign!!! It says my last day to complete the AT will be 4/10ths of a mile!!! In nice weather!!!

2. Teacher hiked the last 4/10ths with me! She drove 8.5 hours to be there!

3. Me and my dear wife, Jenny aka "Stitch," and our pup "Boone."

Images

1. I'm not so sure Teacher wasn't happier than I was?! LOL

2. My official Polaroid for the 2017 section-hiker photo album.

3. Cheers!!! (Thank you, ATC volunteer staff!!!)

Congratulations Ran Man! Looking forward to hearing about your next endeavor.

Consultations! What's next for Mr. Myers?

Journal Entries
    Images

Outstanding!
    It's over! Here's a photo from yesterday morning. Started Saturday mid-morning from Bear's Den Trail Center, hiked leisurely 8 miles to Blackburn and spent night there (my wife drove in). Planned to hike Sunday about 8 or 9 miles to a campsite, but trail was so easy I went about 11.5 miles to the edge of Harpers Ferry on the town side of the Hwy 340 bridge across the Shenandoah River. That left 4/10ths of a mile for Monday (Columbus Day) morning. My last day was also to be my shortest day ever on the AT. Spent night at Farmer Chef's & Mama Bear's home nearby. Teacher drove down from Rhode Island!

Monday morning we woke up to a drizzle of rain, but after a hearty breakfast at FC's & MB's, the rain stopped and we caravaned back to HF. Teacher and my pup "Boone" hiked with me and the others went to the ATC HQ to pave the way for my arrival, including a crepe paper "ribbon" for me to break.

The volunteer crew at the ATC had sparkling cider and champagne glasses for all to share. SWEET!

So, my photo is in the official 2017 book! As a 14-year section hiker, I've had many "ends" to hikes on the AT, but always there were others to come to complete the thing. Not this time. Surreal drive home yesterday.

Many, many thanks for all the congrats ... and especially for all the wonderful true "trail magic" of help, support, advice, and friends made along the years.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++