WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Culpeper VA Amtrak to Front Royal....transport suggestion

Gonna be in Culpeper VA via Amtrak early next month and got myself a good block of free time.
    First any suggestions how you would to get to Front Royal from Culpeper my train comes in around 6:30 pm would you stay overnight in Culpeper or would you try and get to and stay closer to Front Royal that night.
    Also direction...I was planning to head south however now I am considering North to Harpers Ferry since Amtrak is close by. Would you go North or south if given the choice?

Thanks in advance for any replies

South through SNP is much nicer. I would take the train to HF. Now if you want to start in Front Royal it's 41 miles from Culpepper and I would call a shuttle operator listed on the ATC web page. Easiest way to start this trip is to shuttle or Uber from Cullpepper to Thornton Gap and start hiking North or South.

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    Gonna be in Culpeper VA via Amtrak early next month and got myself a good block of free time.
    First any suggestions how you would to get to Front Royal from Culpeper my train comes in around 6:30 pm would you stay overnight in Culpeper or would you try and get to and stay closer to Front Royal that night.
    Also direction...I was planning to head south however now I am considering North to Harpers Ferry since Amtrak is close by. Would you go North or south if given the choice?

Thanks in advance for any replies
    You might stay in Culpeper overnight, Uber/Lyft into the SNP at Big Meadows? Byrds Nest 3 is a great view, and Marys Rock is a good climb. Northbound, there's not much in the way of views. If you can go south instead, there's Spy Rock, the Priest, Three Ridges ... shuttle drivers can pull you out wherever you like and roll you into the DC area for transport connections. Amtrak is also available in Charlottesville.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Thanks folks....Sounds like south affords the best hike.

++ New Posts ++