WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Garlic
    Images

I sometimes crossed range land (usually on the Wolf route) where I hiked toward a landmark or a fence corner. Once a fire closure put me on a confusing system of unmapped logging roads, and it was easier to hike off trail up to treeline to get back on the Divide.

The CDT offers options to purposely travel off trail. On an exceptional day above treeline, you may choose to take a high ridge route rather than the mapped route down in the valley below.

Sometimes the trail is so faint or (snow-covered) where it enters the trees, some orienteering is helpful.

All the XC travel I remember was with good views and it was easy to stay oriented on the map as long as you paid attention. It was seldom necessary to take a bearing, but once or twice it was a good skill to have.

Fair enough. I understand. Thanks.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

There should be a "breadcrumb" data base somewhere in the Backpacker Magazine archives with GPS coordinates for the CDT. Not the sort of thing to depend on, for sure, but reassuring all the same to be able to pull your unit out and find out where you are and where you should be.
    I was part of a team a few years back that did a Gila National Forest (New Mexico) section for that project. This was back at the tail end of a multi year drought, but I would be more concerned with water supply than getting lost. One of the guys had cached water along our expected route, that really saved the trip. I still have a picture of a tank (an earth dam) with the remains of a dead cow in it. That was the only water for quite a distance.
    Hopefully drought conditions are over.

breadcrumb data base courtesy of caltopo

CalTopo is a vastly under appreciated resource.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    This an excellent book and you really can teach yourself navigation with it.
    x 3 on the Map and Compass book. It's a classic.

AO

Default And...........

..........I've generally found it easier to remain located on a map in the Northern Rockies than in the Blue Ridge/Smokies. Most often the forest vegetation is thinner to nonexistent, making it easier to see the topography around you. And that topography is at a far grander scale, so you remain in or on this feature, that feature, or the other for a longer time.

The above being completely old-school field geologist's and 1970s backpacker's experiences.

AO

Agreed. It's very comforting to come over a rise and see the trail that you're following stretch out in the distance. Dipping. Weaving. Twisting. Turning. Yet always able to put it all together into the distance.
    I love the Rockies. Always have. Always will.
    Wayne

In prep for my 2010 CDT thru I refreshed my map and compass navigation by retaking the REI Advanced navigation class, which included 1/2 a day in the field, reread some in a Navigation handbook, became a member of an Orienteering Racing Team,(for one race) and solo thru hiked both the Sierra High Route and Hayduke Trails.

FWIW, most of those I currently observe on the CDT and PCT use their devices for GPS. I personally like to be able to use both paper maps and compass and GPS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++