WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Navigation Training

I'm extremely tentatively eye-ing a CDT thru hike within the next say 3-5 years. I live in the mid-atlantic, the world of blazed and defined trails. I can read a topo map, know the very basics of a compass, and typically my useage of those skills amounts to trying to identify adjacent peaks from whatever trail vista I'm at. I've not had the need or made the opportunity to attempt true cross-country navigation for any significant stretch. I did complete an AT thru hike in 2016 and have backpacked extensively in the mid-atlantic, but none of this requires appreciable navigation skills.

I was looking for training or courses on navigation that would get me on track to be able to handle something like the CDT. Googling "backcountry navigation course", you seem to get 4-hour workshops at REI, a number of bushcraft guys and marines pitching navigation as a component of an overall "survival" type training, and a handful of inactive orienteering clubs. I acknowledge that this is a skill one develops through experience but by the same token I feel you do need a qualified, systematic introduction to these techniques.

Any organizations or individuals that anyone can recommend that offers instruction suitable for where I'm trying to get?
    LT '15, AT '16

My local university offers map & compass and orienteering classes through their non-credit program.

I have signed up multiple times only to have them cancelled for lack of participation.

Everything I've learned has been from asking tons of questions of my hiking friends and from online sources.

https://randallsadventure.com/wp-con...ap-compass.pdf

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    My local university offers map & compass and orienteering classes through their non-credit program.

I have signed up multiple times only to have them cancelled for lack of participation.
    Would that be UTK? I'd be interested, never knew they offered orienteering. Will have to check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Would that be UTK? I'd be interested, never knew they offered orienteering. Will have to check it out...
    Yes, orienteering is 10/21 and 10/22.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 09-22-2017 at 17:59.

Everything I've learned has been from asking tons of questions of my hiking friends and from online sources.

https://randallsadventure.com/wp-con...ap-compass.pdf
    This is exactly the sort of content I'd be after, except in a hands-on setting. I guess I'm skeptical that REI can cover near this quality in their usual timeframes. I suspect those sorts of short courses are just "here's what contour lines are".
    LT '15, AT '16

Journal Entries

Yes, orienteering is 10/21 and 10/22.
    Found it. Fits my schedule. I think I'm gonna sign up for the Sunday session.

Not sure what you're trying to find... something like a 2-3 day course where you're outside with map, compass and an instructor? Some of the bushcraft folks and marines are actually pretty good at this stuff.

Plenty of books on the topic if you're really interested in learning it. I've taught myself many things using books alone. Lots of online sources as well, but in the long run I prefer books because it's easy to go back a re-read something when needed.

Even though there's not a lot of off-trail travel here in the East, you can always take map and compass and learn to orient the map, correcting for declination, and identify peaks, lakes etc by taking bearings when you're at a high-elevation vista. I did just such an exercise with my nephew on West Mountain in Bear Mtn State Park in NY and he thought it was the coolest thing ever — and for a generation that grew up with smartphones and apps for everything, it is cool to see such a simple system in use.

Images

My personal favorite book on this subject is Kjellström's "Be Expert with Map and Compass: The Complete Orienteering Handbook". If you follow through and practice the skills as prescribed, it can be an excellent guide for self education.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Found it. Fits my schedule. I think I'm gonna sign up for the Sunday session.
    Great, hope it goes through. If not, maybe we can team up for the next class.

Quote Originally Posted by DrL View Post
    My personal favorite book on this subject is Kjellström's "Be Expert with Map and Compass: The Complete Orienteering Handbook". If you follow through and practice the skills as prescribed, it can be an excellent guide for self education.
    This an excellent book and you really can teach yourself navigation with it.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

I live in your next of the woods in Hershey and I believe you can practice right here in Pa. take a trail like the AT or MST and gets maps, watch and compass. Even with the blazes, you can start to get pacing and learn to establish location using compass. It is definitely easier out west with the longer sight lines but you can certainly practice here.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    . . . take a trail like the AT or MST and gets maps, watch and compass. Even with the blazes, you can start to get pacing and learn to establish location using compass. . .you can certainly practice here.
    For what it's worth Geocaching with a compass is great practice for many of the basic aspects of orienteering, and it's fun as well. Years ago I found my first 100 geocaches with a compass before an overly generous friend loaned me and the later bought me a gps as a gift.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I'd get a map, a compass and start practicing. It's not difficult once you learn the terminology. After all Tom Hanks navigated back to earth with only a sexton.

Before our first CDT hike, we took a land nav class through one of the trail maintenance/hiking clubs (PATC). It had one day of class work and then several field sessions. I'm glad I did it, for the confidence it gave if nothing else.

Most of the navigation we did on the CDT was very simple. "We're hiking north-west and we're supposed to be hiking north-east - did we take a wrong turn?" Or, "this isn't the right trail, but it's heading in the right direction, should we continue or not?" Or we would miss a turn and need to decide whether to backtrack or if we could get to our destination by an alternate route. We paid such close attention to the maps and guidebook we rarely needed to truly orient ourselves. We knew where we were. The problem was out of date maps that didn't show new roads or trails. (Our first hike was pre-Ley.) Being able to read a map was essential, but we also developed a 6th sense as to where the trail should be. Our biggest problems came when crossing burnt areas where the trail disappeared in the deadfall or when hiking in deep snow when the trail disappeared altogether and it turned out the trail zigged while we zagged. A little concentrated thought eventually got us right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    After all Tom Hanks navigated back to earth with only a sexton.
    Divine guidance?

sexton
    -noun

1. an official of a church charged with taking care of the edifice and its contents, ringing the bell, etc., and sometimes with burying the dead.

Maybe a sextant?

(Of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Divine guidance?
    My bad. Looks like you've graduated from hall monitor to crossing guard to president of your HOA, congrats

Garlic
    Images

Like Spirit Walker, I found CDT navigation as much a matter of paying attention as anything else. To that end, I set my digital watch to chime on the hour, and I would make a mark on my map with my pen at the best estimate of my location. So I had a set of points 2 to 3 miles apart and I never got more than an hour off trail.

I also made good use of range fences and corners which are often on section lines. Transmission lines show up on topo maps, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Cross country navigation was mentioned in the OP. Is that really necessary on the CDT now?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++