WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Anyone hike with Stacey Kozel (Ironwill) on AT

There is a story of a paralyzed hiker that reportedly just finished the PCT this year after thru hiking the AT in 2016. Did anyone hike with her on the AT? If so where and for how long?

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/woman-...rail/463512156

enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

Malto,
    The folks on the 2017 PCT Hiker FB page are having quite a conversation about this. Most of the posters cannot understand why they never saw or passed her on the trail. I'm no Internet detective, but this looks like another case of someone desiring attention making false claims. Sad really.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Journal Entries

Do you expect mainstream media to use hiking terms with the understanding long distance hikers use? Or even care?

Their goal is sensationalism. Cause its all about revenue.

Websters has no official definition of thru hiking, im guessing. People even use it wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Malto,
    The folks on the 2017 PCT Hiker FB page are having quite a conversation about this. Most of the posters cannot understand why they never saw or passed her on the trail. I'm no Internet detective, but this looks like another case of someone desiring attention making false claims. Sad really.
    Ask 10 people who saw the movie, and 9/10 will tell you that Strayed hiked the PCT.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Malto,
    I saw that and was very disappointed that what appeared to be a very inspiration story is suspect at the very best case. I was just curious if the same was also true on the AT as well.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

At her pace....is it technically possible? Wasnt it 10 mpd or such

I've been following that thread as well. There's a lot of good detective work being done. Stacey has closed ranks and shut everything down. Not only did she stage her finish pic before her claimed date, but reverse image searches revealed she snagged pics from other blogs.

And let's not forget the story that she repelled down a cliff to render CPR to another hiker with a punctured lung and then assisted that person back up to safety....all while in her leg braces.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I've been following that thread as well. There's a lot of good detective work being done. Stacey has closed ranks and shut everything down. Not only did she stage her finish pic before her claimed date, but reverse image searches revealed she snagged pics from other blogs.

And let's not forget the story that she repelled down a cliff to render CPR to another hiker with a punctured lung and then assisted that person back up to safety....all while in her leg braces.

Im inspired.
    She crawled to summit of katahdin at one am, with no one around.

At & pct back to back
    W/o losing noticeable wt on either. But i guess when battery powered legs do walking for you....but wait , they dont. They make it HARDER.

Pretty much a miracle

Especially given. Snow. Conditions this yr. I met hikers that bailed to hike other trails.

Sure dont add up. More i think...more it seems like total sham...all of it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-21-2017 at 22:00.

Images

interesting article about her submitting Katihden. Over four days it took her on one attempt. She finally climbed in 26 hours but of course it was night and so she didn't take a pic.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...il-exoskeleton

Journal Entries

Im sure she will hike cdt next yr...

I saw her in GA last year at the beginning of our thru hikes but didn't hike with her.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DRRouner View Post
    interesting article about her submitting Katihden. Over four days it took her on one attempt. She finally climbed in 26 hours but of course it was night and so she didn't take a pic.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...il-exoskeleton
    Summit Katahdin damn auto correct.

Anybody that has climb Katahdin knows that it is patrolled and watched very religiously by the Rangers. Since they warned her before she climb, they would have known that she was camping up there for three nights and she would have been ticketed. Also, If she had that much trouble with Katahdin, how did she make it thru the whites and western Maine? On the PCT, she said she finished on the 5th of September but then when confronted with several inconsistencies she changed it to the end of August. I

Someone posted a series of news images of Stacey at Baxter State Park which were all dated at the end of August yet she claimed she summered in November.

She has already changed her PCT finish date after it was revealed the monument in her photo did not match what it looked like at that time (the smaller monument was broken by her first stated finish date).

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    At her pace....is it technically possible? Wasnt it 10 mpd or such
    Yes. BITD folks thruhiked at paces similar to that.

Quote Originally Posted by DRRouner View Post
    Summit Katahdin damn auto correct.

Anybody that has climb Katahdin knows that it is patrolled and watched very religiously by the Rangers. Since they warned her before she climb, they would have known that she was camping up there for three nights and she would have been ticketed. Also, If she had that much trouble with Katahdin, how did she make it thru the whites and western Maine? On the PCT, she said she finished on the 5th of September but then when confronted with several inconsistencies she changed it to the end of August. I

I don't believe she finished the AT but according to the espn article she tried to climb Big K, wasn't able to finish, left and continued to hike in Vermont and then came back to Katahdin to finish Oct 10 (may have been oct 11 or 12 - can't remember).. read the espn article carefully.

Looks like her first attempt in oct 2015 before her thru was a fail, the 60 hour attempt during her thru also failed, and she tried again a few days later and also failed. The last final attempt would have been in Oct where she finished in the dark alone

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++