WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Need trekking pole recommendation

Hello folks. I need some suggestions for trekking poles. I've got arthritis in my hands and I've found the straps make my hands go numb. I've bought two pair so far, Black Diamond Trail Shock Pro and Leki Corklite DSS. I dislike the edge on the top of the B/Ds, the rounded top of the Lekis are much more comfortable when palming on a descent. But the straps on the B/Ds are padded and it takes much longer for my hands to go numb with the padded straps than with the "skin" straps on the Lekis. I've been in contact with Leki customer service and while they do have padded straps I could put on the Corklite they advise against it because it's a very tight fit and makes it difficult to adjust.

The Leki THERMOLITE XL VERTICAL looks interesting but I can't tell if the straps are padded or if they would make any difference and I hate to keep buying poles sight unseen.

Any advice?
    Horse flies suck.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The straps on the Black Diamond poles I had were replaceable. I suspect the Leki poles would too. If you still own both sets, could you simply move the BD straps to the Leki poles?

Have you checked out Cascade Mountain Tech's Carbon Fiber Poles. They're cheap, light, and have a somewhat padded strap.
    I bought a pair because they were really cheap so I thought I'd give them a try.
    They are a little flimsier than comparable poles, but at a third of the price they definitely do the job.
    Also, they sell parts if something breaks. I broke the middle section of one of the poles. I ordered that specific part and it was at my house in a week. And shipping on parts is FREE!!!
    Check them out. Well worth the price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$18.00 at Walmart. Start there. Figure out if you even need or want them.
    Then go up the ladder.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The straps on the Black Diamond poles I had were replaceable. I suspect the Leki poles would too. If you still own both sets, could you simply move the BD straps to the Leki poles?
    I haven't been able to budge the pin holding the straps in to the B/D poles. I might be able to buy replacement straps but I suspect it would be the same issue that Leki warned me about with their padded straps, that they would be too tight to be easily adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzo909 View Post
    Have you checked out Cascade Mountain Tech's Carbon Fiber Poles. They're cheap, light, and have a somewhat padded strap.
    I bought a pair because they were really cheap so I thought I'd give them a try.
    They are a little flimsier than comparable poles, but at a third of the price they definitely do the job.
    Also, they sell parts if something breaks. I broke the middle section of one of the poles. I ordered that specific part and it was at my house in a week. And shipping on parts is FREE!!!
    Check them out. Well worth the price point.

That's a nice price but the top is the same shape as the B/D poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    $18.00 at Walmart. Start there. Figure out if you even need or want them.
    Then go up the ladder.
    Wayne
    I looked at those poles before buying the Lekis but the straps weren't padded on the ones they had in stock.
    Horse flies suck.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Cates View Post
    I haven't been able to budge the pin holding the straps in to the B/D poles.
    Have you read the instructions that come with the B/D? The pin has to be rotated to be loosened such that the straps can be removed.
    Here's a YouTube video that shows how the Z-Poles work.

Images

Different handles, different straps, different pins.
    Horse flies suck.

Can you show us a photo of how your hands and straps are arranged? There are a couple different ways to do it. Perhaps you are causing the straps to put undue pressure on your hands?
    Just a thought.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Maybe you can ad padding to the existing straps?

The Costco poles (Cascade Design) work for me. Cheap, too. $20 last time I looked. They were a steal at $30.

Images

Can you show us a photo of how your hands and straps are arranged? There are a couple different ways to do it. Perhaps you are causing the straps to put undue pressure on your hands?
    Just a thought.
    Wayne
    I'm doing it exactly as shown in this video. Except for the driving forward part on flat ground, I end up going too fast that way and I'm out there to enjoy the hike, not speed through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Maybe you can ad padding to the existing straps?
    That's an option I'm considering, I just have concerns about durability of anything I could add. I've also thought about wearing padded gloves but I've been hiking in Florida in the summer so I'm not in much of a hurry to try that option.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    The Costco poles (Cascade Design) work for me. Cheap, too. $20 last time I looked. They were a steal at $30.
    These are the same ones suggested above. The straps may be good but the top shape has the same problem as the B/D poles I already have, and they have padded straps too. I'm looking for poles with the rounded top like the Lekis have and padded straps.

Another option I'm considering is having custom retaining pins made for my Lekis. Thicker pins is the reason Leki gives for not using padded straps on my existing poles, and I have several friends with lathes that could turn down a set out of stainless steel. But as with adding padding to the straps myself, I have concerns about durability on a thru hike. My goal with this thread is to find a set of poles I can purchase so that, if I damage or lose one on the trail, I can order replacement poles and carry on.

Basically I'm looking for this:
    trekking pole handle.jpg

According to Leki customer service this is no longer available with the padded straps.
    Horse flies suck.

If your current strap hold isn't working, try something different?
    Have you looked at Komperdell (also sold under REI and LL BEAN brands). Both of my Komperdell sets are comfortable for me. Simple and lightly padded straps. Right or wrong, I don't follow the video.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Images

If your current strap hold isn't working, try something different?
    Have you looked at Komperdell (also sold under REI and LL BEAN brands). Both of my Komperdell sets are comfortable for me. Simple and lightly padded straps. Right or wrong, I don't follow the video.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

So this is what my grip looks like except I'm not gripping that tightly (image from Above and Beyond How to on trekking poles.). If needed I'll photograph my hand later today but this is what it looks like.

The Komperdells have the edge around the top like the B/D has.
    Last edited by Chris_Cates; 09-22-2017 at 13:18. Reason: Punctuation correction.
    Horse flies suck.

And what is the problem with that way of wrapping the strap around the back of your hand? I forgot.
    Everyone is different. If the straps bother you in that position, try something different.
    Case in point: Tuna in foil + Knorr Side + Ziploc Freezer bag. I can't choke that mess down. By the same token, numerous folks say they detest the meals I eat.
    To each his own.
    Wayne

Images

And what is the problem with that way of wrapping the strap around the back of your hand? I forgot.
    Everyone is different. If the straps bother you in that position, try something different.
    Case in point: Tuna in foil + Knorr Side + Ziploc Freezer bag. I can't choke that mess down. By the same token, numerous folks say they detest the meals I eat.
    To each his own.
    Wayne

The problem is in the strap interacting with my arthritis and my hands going numb. Padding on the strap helps so I'm looking for trekking poles that have padded straps but also have the more comfortable rounded top for palming on descents.
    Horse flies suck.

What happens if you don't use the straps?
    Wayne

This?
    http://www.komperdell.com/en/poles/t...id=176_2402_10
    Or that. The Carbon Vario 4 grip has a rounded top and the edge is radiused.
    http://www.komperdell.com/en/poles/t...id=194_2313_10
    How about a proper hiking staff. No grip. No strap. Just a bamboo stick. I have one of those too. No hand fatigue.
    Wayne

http://pacerpole.com/

have you seen those

Images

What happens if you don't use the straps?
    Wayne

I almost never use them without the straps simply because the arthritis has reduced my hand strength. I can't imagine having to hold them for hours at a time, as it is now I'm mostly just using my fingers to control them and any force I put on them is through the straps.

This?
    http://www.komperdell.com/en/poles/t...id=176_2402_10
    Or that. The Carbon Vario 4 grip has a rounded top and the edge is radiused.
    http://www.komperdell.com/en/poles/t...id=194_2313_10
    How about a proper hiking staff. No grip. No strap. Just a bamboo stick. I have one of those too. No hand fatigue.
    Wayne

That first one is interesting looking, I may order a pair and see how they feel. I'll need to look at my tent and see how they'll work with it though, I've got a zpacks duplex and the poles are what holds it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    http://pacerpole.com/

have you seen those
    I have looked at them but the whole arthritis/hand strength issue falls into that again.
    Horse flies suck.

Images

Nope, not going to work with the tent. Looks like a good solution otherwise.
    Horse flies suck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++