WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Cheap Spot

Default Cheap Spot

So in the past I fiddled around with an app, IFTTT which is an app that executes other apps based on certain conditions. I think it does more than that too but it's not the app I want to mention. I've also played around with NFC tags which are small bits of code written onto stickers and other ways (keychains) that you scan with your phone to perform smartphone functions. I have at best a basic understanding of how to write these. Then yesterday I happened on an app called Tasker which can perform smartphone functions similar to an NFC tag without the tag. I'm speaking as an Android user here, whether there are Iphone equivalents I can't say.

Tasker, IFTTT, an NFC tag, they can all check your phone's GPS location. IFTTT can write that to several locations. With Tasker, you could write your location and send it as text. I think its called a profile when you write a Tasker program. Even better though, your phone when it powers up sends whats called a "broadcast" that apps can listen for. It's how some apps sync, check for email, new texts. I'm nearly certain you could write a profile in Tasker that when you turn on your phone, it could check your location, write that and the date and time in a text and send it to whoever. You could also have the location written to a Google doc I'm pretty sure too, IFTTT has a recipe for that. I won't say all, but a lot of the functions of your phone can be triggered with Tasker and NFC tags. I have a tag that timestamps a calendar for instance when I swipe my phone.

Some other useful tasks are turning your wifi on or off, changing your brightness, turning on airplane mode, volume levels, etc. Conditions can be set for time of day, day of the week, date. Specific locations can be conditions, turn on your wifi when you get home for instance.

For you FKT fans, this could be a simple aid to verification, time, date, location.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Yep got Tasker to send a text date, time, and location after powering on. It's got a Location Speed action, I'll have to fiddle with that to see how accurate it is.

Tasker on Google Play $2.99.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Also available for iPhone from the App Store for $0.99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

++ New Posts ++