WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I assumed you were talking about white gas (naphtha).

Now that I know how to use canisters in seriously cold weather I doubt I will ever again use my XGK or Whisperlite.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Recently on the Grafton Loop Trail I used the semi-MYOG setup (linked in my post above) using the Sterno Inferno pot and Starlyte XL-3 burner. Hard to measure fuel consumption in the field, but suffice to say it was close to the 13ml per 2 cups I was getting in my tests at home.

Attachment 40354Attachment 40355
    Bob, I was able to get an Inferno Kit together for Kevin that includes the Starlyte XL3 burner. Teach him the specifics when the 2 of you hit the trails on you upcoming trip. It will be another week or so before I can continue testing my kit with the conical windscreen and xl3.

Real world speed record for alcohol stove is 4 min. with 1/2 ounce denatured using 2 cup capacity aluminum pot with 5.5" diameter bottom.

I assumed you were talking about white gas (naphtha).

Now that I know how to use canisters in seriously cold weather I doubt I will ever again use my XGK or Whisperlite.
    I'll be fiddling with a heat sink on the Pocket Rocket and JetBoil SOL if frigid weather is in my future. It's really hard to abandon the 123 or Himalayan MFS. Old habits dying hard and all that.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow, that's a purdy pot! I've got to check that out...
    Recently on the Grafton Loop Trail I used the semi-MYOG setup (linked in my post above) using the Sterno Inferno pot and Starlyte XL-3 burner. Hard to measure fuel consumption in the field, but suffice to say it was close to the 13ml per 2 cups I was getting in my tests at home.

Attachment 40354Attachment 40355
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    How many bazillion times must this old and tired discussion be repeated?

snip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

were you forced to read or post? cut the op some slack he clearly is new and not everybody is forum savvy and a keyboard warrior like yourself. why not just mock his post count while you are at it

The blog Adventures In Stoving might be of some help. A search on "alcohol" produced this link: https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot...arch?q=alcohol

You might contact the blogger for his thoughts if you can't find the appropriate info in any existing post.

Quote Originally Posted by feltproductive View Post
    Great idea nsherry61.

Ok so with that in mind (and given that I'm from the UK) I'd say what's the best boil time from 20ml fuel to heat 500ml water indoor (from room temp to boiling).

Out of interest - if you're not fussed by speed - what's your ideal alcohol stove?
    Has it already been made? Or is it the white whale of the AT?!
    I've been working on optimizing my system for many years and stopped when I got it to do everything I want. My objective was near optimal efficiency of boiling 2 cups of room temp water with no more than 15 ml fuel. Power should be greater than typical alcohol systems, in the range of 4 minutes. But equal consideration is practical field use. For example I fill my stove with more fuel than necessary and snuff it out when done and recover excess fuel. Without this feature you have to let excess fuel burn off so your actual field field fuel use would be much greater than the test conditions. Also the stove must be easy to use. Mine requires no priming. Pour in fuel, light, it comes to full speed in a few seconds, and burns at a constant speed until just a few seconds before the fuel burns out. It also has few parts. The pot stand is also the windscreen. It functions well in real conditions (wind, cold), although I test in optimal conditions for consistency of results. None of my previous systems met these objectives. Now I use a DIY eCHS stove with a Olicamp XTS pot and an Aluminum flashing pot stand/windscreen.

Journal Entries

Thumbs up

My stove weighs 0.1 oz
    No priming, no waiting , fill light snuff recover
    As simple as it gets
    Support 0.22 oz
    Windscreen 0.35 oz
    Boils 2 cups on 0.4fl oz= .32 oz wt

Optimal time is 7.5 min to minimize fuel with my 1.05 oz pot./lid.

1.83 oz combo.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-22-2017 at 00:20.

Thanks D2maine!
    I am familiar with this 'search' you guys speak of, but if any of you have used it, you'll see there's a LOT of info online. Forums are a place for discussion - hence me opening an account and starting to talk to you guys!

So another question - has anyone tried integrating the stove & windscreen into one single unit? Would there be any benefit of doing this? Seems to me you might be able to make a lighter 'kit' by doing this, but I haven't seen an example anywhere.

I think the main benefit would be the fact that it could be compact, taking up less pack-space, but I do think there's potential for weight savings too.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    My stove weighs 0.1 oz
    No priming, no waiting , fill light snuff recover
    As simple as it gets
    Support 0.22 oz
    Windscreen 0.35 oz
    Boils 2 cups on 0.4fl oz= .32 oz wt

Optimal time is 7.5 min to minimize fuel with my 1.05 oz pot./lid.

1.83 oz combo.
    Very impressive! What are the components? Is it a Foster can setup?
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-22-2017 at 06:00.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Bob, I was able to get an Inferno Kit together for Kevin that includes the Starlyte XL3 burner. Teach him the specifics when the 2 of you hit the trails on you upcoming trip. It will be another week or so before I can continue testing my kit with the conical windscreen and xl3.

Real world speed record for alcohol stove is 4 min. with 1/2 ounce denatured using 2 cup capacity aluminum pot with 5.5" diameter bottom.
    Thanks much, Dan — I'm very interested to see Kevin's new kit, especially your pot support/windscreen.

That's a very quick time on the world record, but I'll happily trade the 4 minutes for a 13% improvement in fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by feltproductive View Post
    Thanks D2maine!
    I am familiar with this 'search' you guys speak of, but if any of you have used it, you'll see there's a LOT of info online. Forums are a place for discussion - hence me opening an account and starting to talk to you guys!

So another question - has anyone tried integrating the stove & windscreen into one single unit? Would there be any benefit of doing this? Seems to me you might be able to make a lighter 'kit' by doing this, but I haven't seen an example anywhere.

I think the main benefit would be the fact that it could be compact, taking up less pack-space, but I do think there's potential for weight savings too.
    I'm not the curmudgeon Y'all think I am.
    Distilled Search:
    Zelph Stoves. Starlyt 3 stove.
    Caldera Cone.
    The real art in alcohol stoves is in the DIY tinkering. Think outside the canister.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I kinda botched the Starlyte stove.
    http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-xl3.php
    Wayne

While we're at it, some observations about the XL3 —

Weight with plastic cap is 25g. Heavy for an alcohol stove, but its wick/reservoir holds 90ml of fuel which means you could potentially do a 2-night (or 3-night, maybe, depending on fuel needs, stove skills) trip with only the fuel in the stove, thereby eliminating a separate fuel container. I have found that there is some vaporization and loss of fuel even with the cap on, roughly 2-3g per day. Less if you put it in a Ziploc sandwich bag, and less still if you use mylar (potato chip bag) which is less vapor permeable.

No spill is a hyooge advantage.

Even if you want to put in only enough fuel for one meal there is really no need for the little measuring cup because you can make a guesstimate and pour in a little extra, then blow it out and put the cap on in short order because this stove cools off very quickly.

The copper wick on top makes lighting it easier. I've been using paper book matches that I just strike and toss onto the top of the stove. This is handy for lighting with the pot support/windscreen in place... harder to do with a Bic. I haven't yet tried a ferro rod so that's on the to-do list.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-22-2017 at 07:59.

Images

While we're at it, some observations about the XL3 —

Weight with plastic cap is 25g. Heavy for an alcohol stove, but its wick/reservoir holds 90ml of fuel which means you could potentially do a 2-night (or 3-night, maybe, depending on fuel needs, stove skills) trip with only the fuel in the stove, thereby eliminating a separate fuel container. I have found that there is some vaporization and loss of fuel even with the cap on, roughly 2-3g per day. Less if you put it in a Ziploc sandwich bag, and less still if you use mylar (potato chip bag) which is less vapor permeable.

No spill is a hyooge advantage.

Even if you want to put in only enough fuel for one meal there is really no need for the little measuring cup because you can make a guesstimate and pour in a little extra, then blow it out and put the cap on in short order because this stove cools off very quickly.
    The copper wick on top makes lighting it easier. I've been using paper book matches that I just strike and toss onto the top of the stove. This is handy for lighting with the pot support/windscreen in place... harder to do with a Bic. I haven't yet tried a ferro rod so that's on the to-do list.
    I sent Kevin a silicone snuffer disc that reduces vaporization while in the cooling mode. It covers the fill hole.

The Inferno kit is working out quite nicely, eager to do more testing.

DSCF3669.JPGDSCF3574.JPGDSCF3646.JPGDSCF3668.JPG

Journal Entries

Unhappy

Very impressive! What are the components? Is it a Foster can setup?
    Zelph used to make flat bottom foster cans
    He put a flat steel can bottom on a foster can, and ridges in sides to stiffen
    Its a reasonably durable little pot. Mine just goes it top corner of pack where aa spot is made for it, wirhout dmage
    Eventually you get rust in crevice. Not important, its for boiling water.

The good thing about the steel bottom.....it can be used with cannister stove too. Great with brs3000

He no make them no more
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-22-2017 at 09:11.

Images

My son John, still makes the wide mouth version, same as what Gossamer Gear sells in a kit form.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZELPHS-WIDE-...YAAOSwax5YoQOR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++