WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bennington or Manchester Camping/Lodging

So I had NO idea how popular this area was in early October, but I should have guessed. Duh me. I was able to score a spot at Sutton's Place on Jeff's recommendation for the end of my hike, but there is NO lodging available in either Bennington or Manchester for the day before I start (Green Mountain Hostel is already closed). Has anyone had this problem? I'm wondering if there are spots outside of either of these towns where I could pitch my tent. Suggestions/recommendations?

Worst case, I'll have to stay in Albany when I fly in and wait an extra day to start or something.

Hello Wuff: the one thing to remember about that time of year you are discussing: the fall colors-and Vermont hotels/motels book up well in advance of the fall colors each year and are expensive. So you might just need to hike and camp each night!
    Last edited by double d; 09-21-2017 at 07:39.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Woodford State Park US RT9 103 tent sites, $18.00 to $29.00 Looks like it's not far from the LT either.
    Use google to find a dozen more.

What maybe a bigger issue is the north end of the trail where the only option is a couple of B+B's. As noted, this is prime leaf pepping season and Vermont cashes in big time. Weekend rates are a real eye popper.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You guys are so right on those weekend rates. Whew. Not sure why I thought I'd be the only genius thinking the colors would be about right that week. Sutton's Place had decent rates and I was able to secure a spot there for after my section hike (doing a slow leisurely trip from Bennington to Manchester). So I will take Slo's advice and camp when I get into the Bennington area. Thanks!

Images

Bennington has a great hiker friendly motel...Catamount Motel. (802) 442-5977 Call owner Pete, sometimes he is able to provide shuttles to/from trailhead. Every hiker who has stayed there raves about how friendly they are.

Cell service at the Bennington trailhead is zero, nada. Call in advance.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Bennington has a great hiker friendly motel...Catamount Motel. (802) 442-5977 Call owner Pete, sometimes he is able to provide shuttles to/from trailhead. Every hiker who has stayed there raves about how friendly they are.
    Thank you for the tip, Jeff! Was able to get the LAST room at Catamount and Pete gave me a hiker rate. Should be all set for the hike now.

++ New Posts ++