WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Loops out of Damascus

Does anyone have any good loop recommendations in and out of Damascus?

I can see in awols guide there seem to be alot of trails coming in and out of that section of the AT. I would love to be able to do a loop involving the Grayson highlands and Mount Rogers. Something in the 70-80 mile range would be ideal.

Local knowledge is the best

Thanks yall

You can connect to the Iron Mountain trial a little south of the Hurricane Mountain shelter using the Virginia Horse trail. The Iron Mountain trail connects to either the AT or the Creeper trail outside of Damascus. The Creeper trail is easier. The Iron Mountain trial is the old AT and has a couple of historic shelters along it. Unfortunately, these sites are often trashed by the horse riders, who for some reason like to leave their beer cans instead of riding them out. Their on horses, so what's with that?

It takes about 5 days to get to Hurricane MT shelter and 3 days to get back to Damascus. There is no resupply along here, so that makes a lot of food to carry. You will need a map of the area, as there are some twists and turns on the Iron MT trail which you need to keep track of and without a map you can get confused and wander off the wrong way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I only have 6 days, possibly 7 if I ask nicely..

Any idea what the total mileage would be using the Iron Mnt/Creeper/AT ?

Looks like about 60 miles, the exact length depends on your route back, there are a few options as to how to go. Which is why you want a map. The National Geographic Mount Rogers High Country map #318 covers the area. You can probably do the loop in 5 or 6 full days without too much trouble.

I think the 5+3 days I quoted was actually all the way to Marion, VA and back. Stopping before Hurricane shelter takes a good day or two off the loop.

just walk north out of damascus on the iron mountain trail for about 20 miles, it's yellow blazed and well marked, then head south on the AT where the trails intersect. easy

Get the National Geographic Trails Illustrated #318. That will be almost all that you need to know. I do the IMT/AT loop from Damascus or Bear Tree Campground once every few years and never get tired of it. And this just reminds me that I am due

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    just walk north out of damascus on the iron mountain trail for about 20 miles, it's yellow blazed and well marked, then head south on the AT where the trails intersect. easy

Seems simple enough. Slo-goen made it sound like the iron mnt trail is hard to follow. You make it sound like I just turn when I see the trail intersection. '

Any idea what the total mileage would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    Get the National Geographic Trails Illustrated #318. That will be almost all that you need to know. I do the IMT/AT loop from Damascus or Bear Tree Campground once every few years and never get tired of it. And this just reminds me that I am due

Any inside info that would be helpful??

Is the iron mnt trail the best option for a longer loop? I see so many other trails intersecting in that area...

I count something like 15 trail junctions along the Iron Mt segment and at times your on a gravel road. Trust me, you really want a map. I don't often say that.

Like I said, the Iron Mt side is about 20 miles and the AT side is about 40 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Any inside info that would be helpful??
    Is the iron mnt trail the best option for a longer loop? I see so many other trails intersecting in that area...
    A lot of those trails you see are horse trails or roads and you really don't want to be on those for long except where you have to. The IM/AT loop is the most straight forward with shelters along the way. You could mix it up with side trails for short cuts or adding miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I count something like 15 trail junctions along the Iron Mt segment and at times your on a gravel road. Trust me, you really want a map. I don't often say that.

Like I said, the Iron Mt side is about 20 miles and the AT side is about 40 miles.

Great. I appreciate your info and advise!

from my understanding the Iron mnt trail is a horse trail as well, correct?

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I think I'd take the IMT out of Damascus to Cherry Tree Shelter (night 2). Then take the fire road down to VA 603, roadwalk "north" to where the AT crosses VA 603 (Fox Creek, trailhead on right). Pickup the AT SOBO here all the way back to Damascus. If running short on time, opt for the VA Creeper Trail that you can pick up at the Hassinger Bridge. Also goes all the way to Damascus but is easier. There are a few places to camp along it too, plus a restaurant at the small village of Taylors Valley.

If you are really short on time, once you descend from the Cherry Tree Shelter area to VA 603, pick up the Mt. Rogers Trail for about four miles and connect to the AT near Deep Gap. Then the AT and optionally the VCT into Damascus.

You really should have a good trail map of the area or much of this won't make sense.

I agree with others, you dont want to be on the horse trails more than you have to be. However, maybe you need some more description why? Picture softball to football sized rocks occupying the entire trail, in a lumpy manner, along with horse crap, and the occasional beer cans. Some might even be considered creeks if there were recent rains. Trust us when we say to choose other trails unless necessary.

from my understanding the Iron mnt trail is a horse trail as well, correct?
    Some of it is, but not all. I only saw noticeable horse traffic on the north end, about 1.5 miles which ends at the AT junction. That was pretty chewed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I think I'd take the IMT out of Damascus to Cherry Tree Shelter (night 2). Then take the fire road down to VA 603, roadwalk "north" to where the AT crosses VA 603 (Fox Creek, trailhead on right). Pickup the AT SOBO here all the way back to Damascus. If running short on time, opt for the VA Creeper Trail that you can pick up at the Hassinger Bridge. Also goes all the way to Damascus but is easier. There are a few places to camp along it too, plus a restaurant at the small village of Taylors Valley.

If you are really short on time, once you descend from the Cherry Tree Shelter area to VA 603, pick up the Mt. Rogers Trail for about four miles and connect to the AT near Deep Gap. Then the AT and optionally the VCT into Damascus.

You really should have a good trail map of the area or much of this won't make sense.

Why would you take the fire road and then road walk?

Is the IRT blazed or marked?

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    I agree with others, you dont want to be on the horse trails more than you have to be. However, maybe you need some more description why? Picture softball to football sized rocks occupying the entire trail, in a lumpy manner, along with horse crap, and the occasional beer cans. Some might even be considered creeks if there were recent rains. Trust us when we say to choose other trails unless necessary.
    So what are you suggesting??

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Some of it is, but not all. I only saw noticeable horse traffic on the north end, about 1.5 miles which ends at the AT junction. That was pretty chewed up.

1.5 isnt bad. I thought the whole thing was open to horses and bikers which made me want to think about a shuttle. Everything a google search is turning up about the IRT is catered to bikers. Am I going to have bikers trying to whizz past me on single track?

Any one have any idea how much it would cost to get dropped off 80 mi or so up trail??

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

You can take the IMT to the AT directly, then catch it SOBO and cross at Fox Creek. Just takes longer. You seemed to have a time constraint so I was considering that.

it is well marked with yellow blazes and signs. do what i suggest and you'll be fine. everyone else is complicating things

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++