WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Arc'teryx Atom LT Insulated Hoodie vs. Puffy

I am going back and forth between the two jackets. I have always had a puffy but I have read so many good things about the Arcteryx Atom hoodie. With the hoodie I can hike with but I am unsure of the warmth while not hiking. With a puffy it is not as fun to hike with but I know the warmth will be there at the end of the day. I can only buy one. I plan on hiking Georgia in April and CT during the summer. What are your thoughts?

yeah, it's a tough call. for me the answer is always a down puffy --lighter or heavier depending on the temps-- always kept in the pack, protected from the elements, until I get to camp. if it's a situation where it's going to be cold enough while hiking to need more than my base layer, then i'll add a smartwool sweater into the mix (rain shell over top if that's not enough).

Atom LT is better since it can keep you warm even if it's soaking wet. On the other hand, it can be too warm for you while you wear it hiking tho. Unlike Outdoor Research Cathode Hoody, Atom LT has full insulation for arms which makes it not very breathable.

++ New Posts ++