WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Mags is a short, bald, eye-Talian looking guy who used to post around here a lot more.

On a curious side note, his web page stats went up AFTER he left the podcast. Thru-hiker centric is a small niche that he has less and less concern with.

Most people call him "pmags" now even though he never introduced himself that way. He introduces himself as Paul because Mags (or, more specifically, Paul Mags) is an old nickname that friend's use and he feels silly introducing himself that way to people he does not know.

He does not give two sh**ts if people know him or not as evidenced by his lack of selfies compared to bloggers with similar stats. He does like that fact his crap is read however even if people do not know his name.

And he's been using that stove quite a bit since he posted his first impressions:
    https://pmags.com/alcohol-stove-alte...rnet-brs-3000t
    Last edited by Mags; 09-17-2017 at 17:14.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

well nice to "meet you" Mags. I look forward to reading through your site. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Mags is a short, bald, eye-Talian looking guy who used to post around here a lot more.

On a curious side note, his web page stats went up AFTER he left the podcast. Thru-hiker centric is a small niche that he has less and less concern with.

Most people call him "pmags" now even though he never introduced himself that way. He introduces himself as Paul because Mags (or, more specifically, Paul Mags) is an old nickname that friend's use and he feels silly introducing himself that way to people he does not know.

He does not give two sh**ts if people know him or not as evidenced by his lack of selfies compared to bloggers with similar stats. He does like that fact his crap is read however even if people do not know his name.

And he's been using that stove quite a bit since he posted his first impressions:
    https://pmags.com/alcohol-stove-alte...rnet-brs-3000t
    When I started this post I did not know of the thread that you had started. I have read your thread and quite enjoyed it. Hope my post helps others find inexspensive ways to fine tune their kits and get out and enjoy nature.
    i feel honored that ya even posted on my thread, thanks for all the info.

Journal Entries

There was a comment about this stove using aluminum vs brass (or brass insert into aluminum). Well really IDK but it seems really nitpicky in the context wear and or thermal stress of weekend warriors. I have used this stove and it is it a bit rough and unrefined, but that does not speak to it's reliability, though one's person's view is it works great. It is also manufactured in a country world known for high quality manufacturing ability (iPhone - Hello, is this thing on).

What is does challenge is the 'buy American slogan' Which only is supported by 1: those who sell goods and want you to believe you should pay them more, 2: people who don't know any better and are brainwashed to think this is good, 3: fools who believe this and carry it out, paying far more for things of lesser quality they the seller does buying their stuff oversees.

Made a quick boil vid however having trouble getting it on the site.

Anyone got some tips on how to upload; I do not have a link to the video. Is a link that the ONLY way to get a video on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    There was a comment about this stove using aluminum vs brass (or brass insert into aluminum). Well really IDK but it seems really nitpicky in the context wear and or thermal stress of weekend warriors. . .
    Pretty much all the down sides of the BRS 3000T stove are "nitpicky", that doesn't mean they are not important issues for some people and not for others. Heck, the advantages are petty nitpicky also. What's $15 and 1 oz savings in the grand scheme of $2000 and 13 lbs in gear? As for aluminum threads, given the price of the stove, it could be considered pretty much a disposable tool either way, but, thread damage and tread corrosion on aluminum is potentially significant even for "weekend warriors" as corrosion comes with time, often in storage, more than it does from use. I would argue it is something to be aware of and to therefore make a point of lubricating to protect from corrosion and thread damage. It also can help justify, in some peoples' minds, why another company's stoves may cost a bit more and may (or may not) be worth the price to them. I suspect, that over time and use, a Pocket Rocket stove is likely to last more than twice as long as my BRS 3000T. But then, a pocket rocket also weighs twice as much.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    But then, a pocket rocket also weighs twice as much.
    And cost 4 times as much. (7 times as much if you really look for the deals.)

And cost 4 times as much. (7 times as much if you really look for the deals.)
    Pocket Rocket retail is $45 pretty much everywhere. Are you suggesting that you can find a brand new BRS 3000T for $6.50 delivered?

Actually, there is a real difference in height of heat above the knob compared to other canister stoves. Take a look if you care. BUT, I also agree with you, at least for me, it's a non-issue and I don't really care. Obviously, Philip Werner did care.

Actually, I think it is the other way around. I think the BRS 3000T is an Olicamp Ion knock-off. Not that it's important to this thread topic.
    Olicamp is a marketing brand, not a manufacturer.
    The Olicamp stoves are made by Fire Maple.
    The BRS3000T is close to the Fire Maple FMS 300T.

There was a comment about this stove using aluminum vs brass (or brass insert into aluminum). Well really IDK but it seems really nitpicky in the context wear and or thermal stress of weekend warriors. I have used this stove and it is it a bit rough and unrefined, but that does not speak to it's reliability, though one's person's view is it works great. It is also manufactured in a country world known for high quality manufacturing ability (iPhone - Hello, is this thing on).

What is does challenge is the 'buy American slogan' Which only is supported by 1: those who sell goods and want you to believe you should pay them more, 2: people who don't know any better and are brainwashed to think this is good, 3: fools who believe this and carry it out, paying far more for things of lesser quality they the seller does buying their stuff oversees.
    Once upon a time, not too long ago, I earned a decent living designing heavy equipment. Much of this equipment was built on the premises where I worked. We were a close group and produced quality equipment on or ahead of schedule and our clients were pleased with our work. Repeat customers made the company grow.
    I own 3 backpacks, 3 sleeping bags, 2 tents and several small bits of gear made in the USA. Paying it back as it were.
    I reckon that makes me dumb as a post. I can live with that.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Olicamp is a marketing brand, not a manufacturer.
    The Olicamp stoves are made by Fire Maple.
    The BRS3000T is close to the Fire Maple FMS 300T.
    Thanks.

Interestingly, the Fire Maple FMS 300T is a 45g, $40 stove.

As to Starchild's suggestion that China is "a country world known for high quality manufacturing ability (iPhone - Hello, is this thing on). "
    I would suggest they can be. They also produce a large quantity of really crappy knock-offs and rip-offs, often violating other peoples' patents and trademarks that are not enforced in China.

Journal Entries

Pocket Rocket retail is $45 pretty much everywhere. Are you suggesting that you can find a brand new BRS 3000T for $6.50 delivered?
    Basically yes $6.58 including shipping to the US : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ultr...174fbcc3&tpp=1

Journal Entries

Basically yes $6.58 including shipping to the US : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ultr...174fbcc3&tpp=1
    Sorry that was a different stove

Sorry that was a different stove
    Lowest price I could find on the BRS3000 was about $13. I got mine for $14 with amazon prime free 2 day shipping.

The intention of my post was to just let people know that these little stoves really do work, however there are limitations... just as most all UL gear goes. Items that work for some will not work for everyone. For heating water on my solo 3 season trips I believe this will be my new "go to" burner.

nsherry61 you are absolutely correct in that "in the big picture" most all the pros and cons of this stove are negligible. Add an ounce or two along with a bit of cash and you can have a bomber stove that will last a lifetime; as far as the BRS3000 will that ounce saved REALLY make or break a trip? I am guessing it will not.

I saw an opportunity to shave some weight for a marginal amount of money and wanted to see if it would work for me, and I think it will and it dropped a little over 2 whole ounces,lol.
    (after you have trimmed off tags, cut down strings & straps, gone cuben/ti/aluminum/plastic, shaved all your body hair, etc; 2 ounces "SEEMS" like a lot in the savings department)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post

nsherry61 you are absolutely correct in that "in the big picture" most all the pros and cons of this stove are negligible. Add an ounce or two along with a bit of cash and you can have a bomber stove that will last a lifetime; as far as the BRS3000 will that ounce saved REALLY make or break a trip? I am guessing it will not.

(after you have trimmed off tags, cut down strings & straps, gone cuben/ti/aluminum/plastic, shaved all your body hair, etc; 2 ounces "SEEMS" like a lot in the savings department)
    Of course one item doesn't matter ever. But when it's part of your philosophy it all adds up. If you could trim 1 oz off of every item in your pack,.... You shave a couple of pounds. and that does matter.

The fact that this is a very cheap way to the save that oz on the stove it is what's highly unusual

MuddyWaters, yes,yes,yes!!! Exactly what I was trying to get across to fellow UL'rs. Thank you.

. . . I saw an opportunity to shave some weight for a marginal amount of money and wanted to see if it would work for me, and I think it will . . .
    Me too.

I love my little cheep-ass BRS 3000T! I've even got mine rigged up with a heat sink and a windscreen for 4 season use, and yes, it works well for me. I'd show off a picture of my stove in use in the Adirondack High Peak region in the middle of last winter, but the windscreen on it is still top secret, so that will have to wait a bit.

It seems like I've been talking down the BRS 3000T stove in this thread, but NO, I completely agree with it's great benefits. I just think it is very short sighted not to acknowledge the potential shortfalls of even our favorite gear, especially when we are suggesting that others may find our gear choices useful as well while still others, with different priorities and skills and anxieties will run afoul of what we think is great for us. Critical thinking and transparent gear reviews are so much more fun than just jumping on whatever bandwagon is passing at any given time.

nsherry61, again... yes, yes,yes!!! Thank you for your opinions, insight and experience ; now I just gotta wait and see if you are gonna post up a shot of this "heat sink/wind break" for this little dynamo stove.

. . . now I just gotta wait and see if you are gonna post up a shot of this "heat sink/wind break" for this little dynamo stove.
    The heat sink is just a copper strip held onto the 110g canister with a Livestrong-like silicone band bracelet that transfers heat from the flame down to the canister like shown in this video I found on youtube.
    I gotta finish my patent application crap before I can release the windscreen images. Hopefully I'll the share the plans for people that want to take the 20 minutes to make one themselves and earn a little money from people that would rather pay $10 for one already made.

I have seen people use a brass piece as a heat sink but knowing you are getting/applying for a patent for your wind screen makes me extra curious! Can't wait to see it when you are done, I LOVE DIY.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++