WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 25g canister stove, first impressions

25 gram canister stove, the BRS 3000.
    Ok, this topic has been covered before but I just had to chime in.
    sub $20 sub 1 ounce stove... how did they do it?
    Man this thing is TINY!!! Don't let the size fool ya though it boils water within seconds of larger stoves.
    i have no personal experience of how long these will last, it is definitely more delicate than my Optimus crux, however the "google search" reviews are pretty positive.

In my job I work closely with 3 engineers and the opinion was unanimous that it would be impossible to make a stove like this in the US and sell it for such a low price; they even shook their heads in disbelief when I told em what I paid for it shipped to my door.

Here are some pics for size comparison, yea it's that tiny!
    IMG_2848.JPGIMG_2852.JPGIMG_2854.JPGIMG_2851.JPG

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    In my job I work closely with 3 engineers and the opinion was unanimous that it would be impossible to make a stove like this in the US and sell it for such a low price; they even shook their heads in disbelief when I told em what I paid for it shipped to my door.
    I paid $12 shipped for mine......from china......several yrs ago when first came out and they were reviewed an ok'd by BPL stove expert. Evaluating CO , etc since people use in semi-enclosed vestibules.

To be mfg in us woukd require UL certification most likely, adding layer of cost.
    Some people got theirs for $10 then

You wont. Find anyone in US willing to ship such a thing for less than several dollars. Even tough postage is .50 first class in small paded encelope, or less bulk rate. People in us try to eek every cent out of you on every chance.

Bulk postage is amazing sometimes. I got piece of high temp mineral wool insulation recently shipped to me for a project for $8.99 total free shipping. box was 2' wide, 4' long, 1.5" thick.

Some places wanted as much as 25 for the insulation and 15 more for shipping. If I took a box like that to ups it would be minimum of 20 just for me to ship it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-16-2017 at 15:18.

And it's very reliable, just be cautious of pot diameters.

Thanks Hosh for the feedback.
    I was just amazed at how small it is; the mfg simplified an already pretty simple design to cut production cost.
    I purchased a new pot just for this stove: evernewFDhttps://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...60-FD-2-5oz!!!

How does this Gee Whiz Semi-Pseudo No-Name gas stove compare to a Pocket Rocket or JetBoil SOL? I know. 25 grams. What else?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    How does this Gee Whiz Semi-Pseudo No-Name gas stove compare to a Pocket Rocket or JetBoil SOL? I know. 25 grams. What else?
    Wayne
    Smaller, lighter, fraction of price........fraction of price.....fraction of price

Its great for boiling water in small pots.
    My cannister setup with it, pot, stove, windscreen is 2.35 oz, excluding small cannister of course.

Been around since 2014, lots of reviews. Mags did one
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-16-2017 at 20:34.

Mags? who is that?

I also just recently bought one. I really don't like buying stuff from overseas, especially form China, but for that price and weight I had to give it a shot.
    Came in a couple weeks ago. I put it on a canister and lit it for a minute, but haven't used it.
    My impression.... pretty nice stove, especially for the price. One of the pot rest arms on mine is a bit looser than the others. Doesn't affect anything when it's rotated out against the stop for use, but otherwise it just flops around....when the others are a bit stiff. I haven't had a chance to look into tightening.....
    Otherwise, threads are good, valve action and function seems ok, flame looks good. Turns down to a low steady flame...

My optimus stove could boil water faster than any of the jet boil stoves and was lighter/cheaper too; I would say this may not be quite as fast as the Optimus but it is pretty impressive. I can do some test boils if ya wanna know; may be on Sunday as I'm celebrating my 17 anniversary with my Wife today

I gotta say that the Optimus didn't "sip" fuel. My friends jet boils def had a longer run time and are quite convenient. I understood why they are popular but just not my style.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne

Well let's see, it slices, it dices, it predicts when it's gonna rain, snow, tornadoes, & hurricanes, it speaks 5 languages, forecasts market crashes, is the perfect match maker and above all, doubles as a rain hat.

*** u want Jim, it's light as feather, runs like a hose and cost less than 2 canisters of fuel.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    Mags? who is that?

I also just recently bought one. I really don't like buying stuff from overseas, especially form China, but for that price and weight I had to give it a shot.
    Came in a couple weeks ago. I put it on a canister and lit it for a minute, but haven't used it.
    My impression.... pretty nice stove, especially for the price. One of the pot rest arms on mine is a bit looser than the others. Doesn't affect anything when it's rotated out against the stop for use, but otherwise it just flops around....when the others are a bit stiff. I haven't had a chance to look into tightening.....
    Otherwise, threads are good, valve action and function seems ok, flame looks good. Turns down to a low steady flame...
    "Mags? who is that?"

How fleeting fame. Should have stayed on the podcast. ��
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I have one of these that has seen lots of use and it is still running great. Definitely don't use pots larger than about 850ml and all is well.

Much better fuel economy if it is run at roughly 60% of max output. Speed is wasteful... lots of hot gases just blown out the sides... set it up out of the wind, take a couple extra minutes to boil and see significant fuel savings.

"Out of the wind" is the key comment to me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

well isn't that true for any stove when considering ways to save fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Smaller, lighter, fraction of price........fraction of price.....fraction of price . . .
    That sums it up pretty well. Since we are aware of the up side and I haven't seen much discussion of the down side, well:
    1) Smaller to the point where the heat source is so close to the control knob that some people don't care for it. Section hiker did an interesting review on the Olicamp version of this stove design.
    2) The burner design is more wind sensitive than a pocket rocket or a JetBoil.
    3) Although the BRS 3000T will boil water at about the same speed as the Pocket Rocket, it doesn't hold a candle the the speed of the newer JetBoil MiniMo, nor can you simmer over the BRS 3000T like you can very nicely with the MiniMo.
    4) The BRS 3000T heats up an exceptionally small spot on the bottom of the pot, so doing anything other than heating water is either impossible, or requires crazy amounts of care.
    5) From reading reviews, it appears that the quality control on the BRS 3000T is notably less consistent than the other stoves being talked about in this thread. Some people have had problems with pot supports collapsing when heating larger volumes of water with the the burner turned all the way up. Other people have not had the same disastrous pot support failures even with extensive use.
    6) Also, with long-term use there is concern about thread life, given the stove's aluminum body instead of a brass body or an aluminum body with a brass insert.

All that being said, I like and use my BRS 3000T. I just accept that the design and quality have limitations that I am willing to live with when I use it.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    That sums it up pretty well. Since we are aware of the up side and I haven't seen much discussion of the down side, well:
    1) Smaller to the point where the heat source is so close to the control knob that some people don't care for it. Section hiker did an interesting review on the Olicamp version of this stove design.
    2) The burner design is more wind sensitive than a pocket rocket or a JetBoil.
    3) Although the BRS 3000T will boil water at about the same speed as the Pocket Rocket, it doesn't hold a candle the the speed of the newer JetBoil MiniMo, nor can you simmer over the BRS 3000T like you can very nicely with the MiniMo.
    4) The BRS 3000T heats up an exceptionally small spot on the bottom of the pot, so doing anything other than heating water is either impossible, or requires crazy amounts of care.
    5) From reading reviews, it appears that the quality control on the BRS 3000T is notably less consistent than the other stoves being talked about in this thread. Some people have had problems with pot supports collapsing when heating larger volumes of water with the the burner turned all the way up. Other people have not had the same disastrous pot support failures even with extensive use.
    6) Also, with long-term use there is concern about thread life, given the stove's aluminum body instead of a brass body or an aluminum body with a brass insert.

All that being said, I like and use my BRS 3000T. I just accept that the design and quality have limitations that I am willing to live with when I use it.
    Mine simmers

Heat is a small flame spot, like 1.5", it doesnt have a big burner head. It wont heat a big pot effectively, obviously. Shouldnt be used on one.

I disagree with heat source close to knob a problem, no moreso than others imo. Ive not even taken notice of such an issue in 30 night of use or so

Theres actually brs3000 knockoff being sold too.....so ...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-17-2017 at 11:02.

. . . I disagree with heat source close to knob a problem, no moreso than others imo. Ive not even taken notice of such an issue in 30 night of use or so . . .
    Actually, there is a real difference in height of heat above the knob compared to other canister stoves. Take a look if you care. BUT, I also agree with you, at least for me, it's a non-issue and I don't really care. Obviously, Philip Werner did care.
    . . . Theres actually brs3000 knockoff being sold too.....so ...
    Actually, I think it is the other way around. I think the BRS 3000T is an Olicamp Ion knock-off. Not that it's important to this thread topic.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I purchased this stove because of the weight and the price; I had to see for myself if it would actually work for my solo backpacking trips.
    There are different stoves for different purposes and I believe this will fit the bill perfectly for what I purchased it for; just like my other UL gear like my lt4 poles, arc zip pack, and my myriad of different boots and tents, they all have an intended purpose .
    I will only use my everneFD760 pot on this to boil water or cook noodles and rice. The stove is definitely UL when it comes to canister stoves as I don't think there is a lighter one available. This stove will boil water as I need it too, a bit more care will be needed as it IS more fragile than mainstream brand stoves but all in all in my opinion it is a pretty great little piece of kit for the specific purpose. I'll give it a thumbs up����

Journal Entries

Just to give idea of what area it heats

IMG_20170917_151157278.jpg

Thanks MuddyWaters. Prettt small flame pattern, however it is just right from my new ti pot. Perhaps I'll do a little video clip of the stove and pot combo for others to see.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++