Default 2017 Finish Headcount?

Anyone got a sense of the completion % for 2017? I'm curious how the now affected folks attempting a thru. Only a couple of weeks left, so if you haven't cleared Cascade Locks...

Journal Entries

and to think I was gonna post the population of finland...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-15-2017 at 20:23.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

It got me too. Actually, I was quite thrilled to know that a thru-hiker from Finland is on the trail--or so I imagined. I have a neighbor who is from Finland. He lives there but has a business in the US, so he regularly comes to this country. I was looking forward for a few seconds to the next time he visited so that I could tell him about the Finish backpacker.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Journal Entries

In the picture below, the goal is to guess the nationality of the people.

house.png

The first guy on left....hes Russian
    The guy in the middle....Himalayan
    THe guy on right...Finnish

Images

You will need to define what finish is this year. With the amount of flipping, skipping alternates and fires, I don't think anyone "finished" this year. As for continuous footprint border to border, very few. I suspect this will be one of the lowest "finish" percents in history. There is one hiker that will finish tomorrow that I know went border to border. But even with him he had at least two fire detours to walk.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    and to think I was gonna post the population of finland...
    It is actually a group of hikers from
    Finland that appear to have been separated along the way. Hopefully they are all
    accounted for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course no one keeps track of people that finish the trail, but I know of more than a few that completed the PCT nobo this year.
    I wasn't able to complete due to external issues in life, but I did walk around 2000miles of the trail. It was one of the best things I've ever done! and hope to go back for more next year!

Finish, not Finnish...cheeky...

In past years, there were some unofficial headcounts (especially from the northern Trail Angels). Mostly interested in % of folks who (1) Thru Hiked and (2) Flopped & finished (basically spend 5 months somewhere on the trail).

Just idle curiosity - There's been a huge surge of hikers in the past couple of years; wondering if that will die down once word gets out the it's not so easy.

Dixie's (Homemade Wanderlust) last youtube showed her crossing into Washington. She's still going. I bet she'll make it.

++ New Posts ++