WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

The adage, "never give up." May well have served many thru-hikers years ago, but todays adventurers look at a thru-hike quite differently.
    Some background. I thru-hiked in 2001 after a 2000 abort because of a injury. For the last 15 years I have been a caretaker at the AMC cabin on Upper Goose Pond.
    During this time I have talked to 100s of Hikers staying at the cabin. At one time most of the hikers who had reached this point in their journey had a lot of will power and determination to complete their hike. In recent years I have witnessed a change in hikers willingness to indoor the hardship of a thru-hike and lacking the spirit of the words, "never give up."
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries

It's a great tale, but it probably belongs on what to say when you're not prepared to give a speech. HYOH, or HikeSomeoneelseshikeandpretendit'syours.

Default Inspiration for Thru-Hikers

Well, assuming Churchill DID say that - he left out some context. Maybe he assumed his audience - a graduating class, about to leave school and begin their life's work - could provide the context on their own. Maybe he gave them enough credit to be able to figure out that he was talking about never giving up -- ON THINGS THAT MATTER.
    The world doesn't care if you complete a thru hike. It's only significant in what it means to you. If you're doing this just for fun, like I would be, you can hike till it's no longer fun. If you're doing it for the challenge, and it's really important to you, then you may want to use those words as your mantra when it starts seeming like an impossible journey....
    Impossible journey - that reminds me of a story: It was told to me - not sure it's true.
    There was a folk band, 50s and 60s, Kingston Trio. Very successful. Then something happened to one of them - some medical thing with his throat or vocal chords, and he could no longer sing.
    Took to drinkin. Time went by, science progressed, and eventually they came up with an operation that could help him. But he was pretty far gone into despair, feeling sorry for himself and into the bottle by now. His friends tried to convince him to go for it, but he wouldn't have it.
    Finally one of them set him down and gave him a very powerful, emotional talking-to, how he might as well just go ahead and kill himself since that's what he was doing anyway...
    Whatever this friend said, it had an effect, and he stood up, got the courage to have this operation. Which worked. He was able to sing again.
    The group reunited. Their first song when they came back - The Impossible Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    The adage, "never give up." May well have served many thru-hikers years ago, but todays adventurers look at a thru-hike quite differently.
    Some background. I thru-hiked in 2001 after a 2000 abort because of a injury. For the last 15 years I have been a caretaker at the AMC cabin on Upper Goose Pond.
    During this time I have talked to 100s of Hikers staying at the cabin. At one time most of the hikers who had reached this point in their journey had a lot of will power and determination to complete their hike. In recent years I have witnessed a change in hikers willingness to indoor the hardship of a thru-hike and lacking the spirit of the words, "never give up."
    Attention spans are shorter than ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADO36gxVo0E Arnold Shwartzenegger commencement speech

Gain something from it before dismissing or making judgments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucv8O75erpg Will Smiths speeches.

I'll listen to these on trail and at times in town when I need to get back to why I'm LD backpacking or hiking or after a summit.

good stuff!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++