WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for the input Wayne, as has been the case too often since I've come here, my first ideas are nearly always not the best
    Your suggestion makes a lot of sense to me...the more I read and see the more having a versatile setup seems the best route, having a comforter would probably make coping with really large temperature ranges easy while maximizing comfort.

I'm doing my best to get into this while NOT preparing based on any fears but as my age I'm no longer considering myself invulnerable nor incapable of being caught out by fatigue induced mistakes. My day hikes have taught me the trail is wonderful place and in the grand scheme of things, pretty safe, but after running into copperheads, reading about the guy dying by falling into a ravine and having no experience humping 40lbs over PA rocky footing I'm really focusing on being able to get good rest to keep a clear head and good trail focus.

I hope I can help.
    My down vest goes with me everywhere. A down jacket seems to be more common. Either will work for colder nights. A quilt would be a worst case near winter hike. IMHO. Good luck!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

You've been a big help as has everyone here, including those say "good luck with that..." (sarcasm).

I really need to get this one hike under my belt so I can know if I really like prolonged hiking enough to justify dedicating the time, resources and money doing it right requires.
    My thought is, if I can enjoy it with what gear I have, things are just going to get better.

I'm actually more concerned over the planning aspect of this as I can imagine its not hard to misjudge how much ground one can make(as a noob) and end up either at a shelter(and perhaps not get good rest from all the snoring going on ) or failing to make it to a water source and spending a night with dry food, no rinse off etc. The more I get into the details of hiking the more I'm amazed at the ripple effect of every decision, for what appeared at first glance to be a simple proposition, is turning out to be anything but.

Today was a real milestone as did my first full pack(40lbs) hike in the dirt(the last 10 days I've done daily neighbor hikes @35lbs to acclimate to the weight) and after two 30 minute miles slogging up and down some seriously steep hills at a local park, my legs gave me the thumbs up.

You'll be amazed by how many preconceived misconceptions that you think are do or die turn out to be no big deal.
    Embrace the suck as someone said. It's all good.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Just want to clarify the poor phrasing above- the sarcastic "good luck with that"comments were helpful as they are actually clear as to what the poster really thinks unlike some polite "politically correct" comments.

Preconceived misconceptions sounds pretty dire to me, you sure their safe?

I think my biggest issue is just being prepared for whatever temps I run into as our last 4 camping trips this summer, all intended to escape the heat and humity of summertime Annapolis backfired on us leaving us ironically cold and using our camper for comfort more than desired.

If the Nemo doesn't work for you, here's a new product heading for a store near you,
    https://andrewskurka.com/2017/review...perless-mummy/
    Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++