WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking at Deep Gap (GA)

Any problems with leaving a car for a few days at Deep Gap (mm85.4)? Planning on doing a few days with my daughter at the end of September and would like to end my hike there. Thanks.

There is parking but I remember it being quite a remote area. Very nice hiking. Don't take the new car.

It's pretty remote but I've never heard of issues there. I know some consider it much safer than say Winding Stair. I've left my vehicle there overnight with no issues and several other cars were parked there as well.

As an alternative, though, you can always park at the backcountry kiosk. It would be a 3.5mi hike from Deep Gap down Kinsey Creek Trail to the kiosk at Standing Indian Campground. It's a little quicker to get to by road but as far as proximity to people it might be safe.

We just left car there for 1 night, no problem just 2 weeks ago. I think it is like 8 miles in from the pavement. I would try to check on conditions before you go given the clean-up. Also, I didn't realize it but the ATC is recommending bear canisters in this area. I know that the carter gap shelter had recent activity there.

You better check with the area Forest Service office on the condition of the road after the remnants of Irma went through this week. It may be closed.

It is a 10 mile long gravel road. Call Ron Brown and check its condition he drives it weekly. I would pick Deep Gap for parking over WSG 10 out of 10 times. The odds of someone going to effort of knowing where deep gap is, and driving all the way back there vs the thousands of cars driving past WSG is very low. I have parked at deep gap for a total of 6 nights and no problems. room for 6-10 cars I would say. Camping at the parking, also camping south bound on the AT pretty soon after starting to walk.

Deep Gap Road condition
    IMG_0097.JPG
    Looking back at deep gap from hiking southbound
    IMG_0100.JPG
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Good parking up there, I have never had an issue. It's in North Carolina by the way

Thanks. Looks like the road is open, but the trail seems to be a little rough. Should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally_Hiker View Post
    Thanks. Looks like the road is open, but the trail seems to be a little rough. Should be fun.
    Trail isn't too bad south of there. I got to Deep Gap parked the car and night hiked to plumb orchard shelter on Thanksgiving day 2 years ago. The trail from Dicks Creek to Unicoi Gap is considered the most difficult in GA if im not mistaken, but I was able to knock it out in a day.

You should be pretty safe parking at Deep Gap
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Trail isn't too bad south of there. I got to Deep Gap parked the car and night hiked to plumb orchard shelter on Thanksgiving day 2 years ago. The trail from Dicks Creek to Unicoi Gap is considered the most difficult in GA if im not mistaken, but I was able to knock it out in a day.
    You should be pretty safe parking at Deep Gap
    Watching thru-hiker Greeter's video of his hike through there a few days ago, Dick's Creek Gap to Deep Gap looked to be pretty beat-up by Irma.

++ New Posts ++