WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hyperlite 2400 or 3400 Windrider

Anyone own either pack and have a good number of miles with it? My main question is if you had 1 liter water bottles in the mesh side pockets, can you actually reach them pretty easily while walking or do you need to take your pack off to get them?

Thanks

Most common pack I've seen on the AT this year. Must be something right with it.

Images

I have 500+ miles on my 3400. I don't have any problems reaching 1 liter bottles in the side mesh pockets with pack still on.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

About 4,000 miles with a 3400, I can reach the pockets easily and they are huge. On the PCT I easily fit five liters in the side pockets, a 1.5 and 1 liter Smartwater in each side.

I have the 2400 Southwest. Very similar to the Windrider. I got it in 2012, so maybe the pockets are bigger now, but I can only get one bottle in each pocket, and I can't reach them.
    However, I bought a tube from Amazon which has a screw on cap. So I actually have two tubes -- one from the internal bladder and one from the 1 or 1.5l bottle in the side pocket -- to drink from.

You might be interested in the Homemade Wanderlust youtube, #26, 27 or 28. She's hiking the PCT with an HMG 3400. At this point, she's up around Donner, and she's got two problems with her pack -- a tear in the back pocket, and a busted buckle in the "Y" strap. She contacts HMG, and ... well, I'll let you take it from there with the video, if interested...

Leonidas

To add to the above, I thought it interesting that HMG told her that the pack wasn't designed to last a thru hike.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    To add to the above, I thought it interesting that HMG told her that the pack wasn't designed to last a thru hike.
    Yes..and I bet , if the owners of HMG see that video, they won't be happy!
    In a couple of the videos, Dixie is showing where the pack is bruising a couple places on her back. It reminds me of the Cheryl Strayad movie, Wild. She had the same thing. Not sure what pack Cheryl had, but don't think it was an HMG...

She also said others weren't having issues with the same pack. She indicated that her heavy bear canister was part of the problem. Furthermore she stated that many other hikers take small canisters in order to be in compliance, but pack their food in bags

Overstuffing a backpack will cause it to fail at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I have the 2400 Southwest. Very similar to the Windrider. I got it in 2012, so maybe the pockets are bigger now, but I can only get one bottle in each pocket, and I can't reach them.
    However, I bought a tube from Amazon which has a screw on cap. So I actually have two tubes -- one from the internal bladder and one from the 1 or 1.5l bottle in the side pocket -- to drink from.

You might be interested in the Homemade Wanderlust youtube, #26, 27 or 28. She's hiking the PCT with an HMG 3400. At this point, she's up around Donner, and she's got two problems with her pack -- a tear in the back pocket, and a busted buckle in the "Y" strap. She contacts HMG, and ... well, I'll let you take it from there with the video, if interested...
    Running for the popcorn now.
    I hope it's good.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I have the 2400 Southwest. Very similar to the Windrider. I got it in 2012, so maybe the pockets are bigger now, but I can only get one bottle in each pocket, and I can't reach them. .
    Correction -- got it in 2014, not 2012...

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Anyone own either pack and have a good number of miles with it? My main question is if you had 1 liter water bottles in the mesh side pockets, can you actually reach them pretty easily while walking or do you need to take your pack off to get them?

Thanks
    I have HMG 2400 & 3400 Windrider and I cannot easily reach mine water bottles.

But I'm old and it might be a flexibility issue.

I use this product to make life easier and still use the smart water bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001G..._1505573856489

I'm sorry. I'm spending $300, + or - , on a pack and have to spend $35 more to jury rig a bottle so I can drink out of a water bottle.
    I'm not pointing fingers at HMG. The industry is at fault.
    Nor am I thrilled with the cost cutting roll top closure.
    Just my personal opinion.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I'm sorry. I'm spending $300, + or - , on a pack and have to spend $35 more to jury rig a bottle so I can drink out of a water bottle.
    I'm not pointing fingers at HMG. The industry is at fault.
    Nor am I thrilled with the cost cutting roll top closure.
    Just my personal opinion.
    Wayne

Lol.

Hike On.

I got the pack and it's pretty easy for me to get the 28oz water bottles in and out of the side mesh pockets. I'm 5 feet 8.5 inches tall.

++ New Posts ++