WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Leave No Trace, BE no trace

I've been planning on upgrading my tent for some time, likely to the duplex...just haven't landed on the color. Have discussed that here before.... Just didn't want camo for sure....
    but
    I have been thinking of this idea for a number of years now...and then watching a video on youtube by KennethKramm, he used a term that summed up my thoughts exactly
    Leave no trace, BE no trace
    now I have no leave no trace obsession...I actually think the term is over used and perhaps even misused very often...but I do believe in the general idea.
    The Be No Trace component is the twist.
    Kinda like most folks don't want their neighbor to paint his house neon purple, I think it makes sense to be considerate of others in the area while you are camping. Keep the loud noises down, loud music, or whatever taht may be disturbing to others...but also regarding teh visual landscape.
    I figure if I enjoyed the natural view hiking in, others passing through while I'm there should be able to also enjoy it without too much distraction of my "stuff" strewn about....
    so.....maybe a camo tent isn't such a bad idea...

Anyway, Just sharing a thought.....

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

I think the camo Duplex looks great ! .........and it is less intrusive.....

I have the camo duplex more for the fabric but I like the color too. The Dali Lama preaches living to prevent confrontation which means awareness of others.

Heck I want to be seen, especially by hunters who won't shoot in my direction after they see my red tent. Plus, a red tent looks fantastic in white snow.

This pic was taken on the Brush Mt trail in Citico wilderness during a 17 day trip where I saw no one for the whole trip except for Patman who I invited to join me. So who was around to get offended???

I sleep under a "coyote brown" tarp. Ir blends in very nicely. I have to be careful to not lose track of it when camped.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I've always tried to get a tent that is a color that will blend with the landscape. Aside from not wanting it to be an eyesore, if it blends nobody knows you're there. If nobody knows you're there, they won't steal your stuff and they won't bother you in any other way.

I bought bright neon gear when possible. Don't want to be shot by hunters. I'm also color blind, and need the bright visual clues to even find my campsite in the evening. I'm less likely to leave behind a bright yellow bandana or shirt that's drying on a branch. Don't want to trip over black guy lines in the dark, etc. My tent is a flat grey, but if it came in brighter colors I'd have gone for that choice. Camo gear for hiking just seems silly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I bought bright neon gear when possible. Don't want to be shot by hunters. I'm also color blind, and need the bright visual clues to even find my campsite in the evening. I'm less likely to leave behind a bright yellow bandana or shirt that's drying on a branch. Don't want to trip over black guy lines in the dark, etc. My tent is a flat grey, but if it came in brighter colors I'd have gone for that choice. Camo gear for hiking just seems silly to me.
    I agree. It's also weird that hunters wear full camo . . . . and then slap a bright orange vest over their chests. What's the point of the camo? Why not just wear blue jeans and a shirt?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I agree. It's also weird that hunters wear full camo . . . . and then slap a bright orange vest over their chests. What's the point of the camo? Why not just wear blue jeans and a shirt?
    When i was a kid, thats what people did.

Offshore production of everything in china made all this unnecessary stuff affordable.

Journal Entries

If I were designing tents meant to blend in with the surroundings, I'd make them the gray color of a rock, with mosses and lichens on the edges. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a tent that wasn't a tent. Kinda like this "shelter" below that turned out to be nothing more than a rock.

Full tent Stealth mode:

Don't step on me Ms. Moose mode:

She didn't step on me. It must work.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I avoided the blue Duplex partly for that reason...it was just too vivid. I think the spruce and olive colors are just fine for "Be No Trace". Sorry the picture isn't great. We also had the camo SoLong in the group but it wasn't up when I took this picture:

P1000296.JPG

A half-decent shot of all tents, spruce (left), olive (middle) and camo SoLong (right):

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    If I were designing tents meant to blend in with the surroundings, I'd make them the gray color of a rock, with mosses and lichens on the edges. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a tent that wasn't a tent. Kinda like this "shelter" below that turned out to be nothing more than a rock.
    Your pic reminds me of a tipi I lived in on a ridge in the NC mountains---

Yeah, I get the point about being seen by hunters....if you're hiking in the season when and where there are hunter likely to be....
    and also bright colors for rescue scenarios too....
    valid points for sure!
    I can also imagine benefit for folks being able to see your campsite so that they can avoid and give wide berth....

But let me see if I can paint a better picture....
    You're hiking on a trail late afternoon. You are out for the weekend to get away. Haven't seen another person except your hiking partner....maybe all day.
    You come across the most beautiful lake you can imagine.... a beautiful image with mountains as a backdrop. You feel like you have the whole place to yourself.
    A memory of a view you will cherish

Now you find a nice campsite over on the opposite shore.

Later...another hiker comes along that same trail....but his experience is far different. That surreal image is tainted by a littered campsite way over there on the opposite shore. That scene that you discovered isn't there for him. He was robbed of that same discovery you had earlier

I guess the way I'm looking at it, the bright colored tents and such rob others, in a way, from enjoying the place.....

Not to the same extreme, but not so unlike the time I took my family camping in a state park campground and the folks in the next site over had a bucket light hanging high in a tree with what had to be at least a 100 watt light bulb in it....maybe much more than that! Looked like a walmart parking lot. I think they had music blaring too....
    Wasn't any sittin around a small fire enjoying the stars, quiet conversation, and nocturnal sounds that evening!

Anyway, just a different twist to the leave no trace philosophy.... and I think a good thing to consider
    leave no trace for future visitors
    and be no trace for current visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I avoided the blue Duplex partly for that reason...it was just too vivid. I think the spruce and olive colors are just fine for "Be No Trace". Sorry the picture isn't great. We also had the camo SoLong in the group but it wasn't up when I took this picture:

P1000296.JPG

A half-decent shot of all tents, spruce (left), olive (middle) and camo SoLong (right):

Awesome... I have searched for a distance shot photo like that showing the different colors! That is hugely helpful!!!!
    Are the spruce and olive tents zpacks cuben?
    Do you know if the solong uses the same or similar fabric as the camo zpacks?

I don't know... I do wish they had a choice that was a bit more in the middle..... not quite as black as the camo, but not so white as the other choices. and yeah, bright blue, definitely not for me.....although I can understand why some folks would like it....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Your pic reminds me of a tipi I lived in on a ridge in the NC mountains---

Definitely blends in, and after a period of time, disintegrates, leaving little trace.
    I think you were born in the wrong century. The wilderness that once was no longer is. Sadly.

Judy has excellent photos of her tents online. The Camo Solong 6 is definitely camouflaged. It doesn't have any of the reflective trim that the other color scheme has.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Definitely blends in, and after a period of time, disintegrates, leaving little trace.
    I think you were born in the wrong century. The wilderness that once was no longer is. Sadly.
    You're right, my beloved North American continent and America the Beautiful has been obliterated by sprawl and development.

When I think of leave no trace, or using a bright tent in the woods, I ponder the near constant overhead jet traffic roaring across the skies in the Southeast where I backpack---and have to really wonder about Leaving No Trace. See vid if interested---

Camping under this air traffic is like sleeping under Interstate highways---bring earplugs, boys and girls. And in fact, THERE IS NO WILDERNESS in the Eastern United States.

I guess it depends on your style of hiking. I will be thruhiking with a camo tarp. But stealth camping is a priority of mine.

Hunting season here in New England. I carry my orange backpack and typically hang a blaze orange bandana on my camo shelter.

A blaze orange bandana, buff, or article of clothing is a good option to carry if you also want the ability of going stealthy.

I've never met anyone who was mad or had their experience ruined by being able to see a hi viz tent in the distance.

People who regularly camp illegally on the side of the trail aggravate me way more.

If that's your routine, you should probably get a camo tent.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

yes, that's right...by western standard for sure there isn't. This past summer we took an RV trip form FL to the Grand Canyon and back. I really enjoyed it out there in the desert, even more than I thought I would. I Have traveled a lot and have been in that area before, but this time I really go to spend time looking off at a distance through the windshield at all the places where I would love to hike to a drop my pack for a while. When we got back East, it struck me how much I missed resting my eyes off to infinity.... everything is blocked by trees

while it's true there is a ton over traffic overhead, much of that is very high overhead. As an aviation buff, I often turn my eyes skyward hoping to see aircraft, and there are plenty of CAVU (clear above visibility unlimited) days or nights.... you know those cloudless blue sky days..... when I look up and cannot spot even one aircraft in the sky horizon to horizon. Sometimes, when I can spot more than 5 at once if find it surprising. Also, there are still pretty vast areas of undeveloped land. I used to look down while flying quite often in the east and south east US, and wonder how it must have been 200 years ago or more.... Much true enough bisected by roads here and there, and farmland but there is still lots of undeveloped space. While I haven't flown in many years now, when I was an active private pilot and first started cross country flights, I was struck by how much rural land is chopped up with clearings, fields, and such....but even still how much large tracts of woodlands there still are. It's not like its building next to building from one city to the next.....like it sometimes seems to be when looking form a car window....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++