WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    On my thru hike I always washed (really just rinsed) with filtered water....all of about a quarter cup of it. Not sure why this is such an issue. It's not like it is a ton more work to have that much more filtered water. My first thought reading this thread, and another that was posted here about a week ago, was that you were going to wash your pot in the water source. I know this isn't what you are asking because you know that would just be wrong. So, if you really want to use unfiltered water to wash with go right ahead. You will have to fill your dirty water bottle for washing or leave a bit in there when you filter....both of which seem like just as much, or more, work than just using that little bit of filtered water in your clean bottle and not worry about it.
    I think about this idea that you shouldn't wash dishes in the stream....
    And yeah, I get it....
    but at the same time folks are walking their old dirty stinky feet through that same stream.... or even stopping for a break and soak a while....
    I mean it's not like it's some pristine water there.....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I think about this idea that you shouldn't wash dishes in the stream....
    And yeah, I get it....
    but at the same time folks are walking their old dirty stinky feet through that same stream.... or even stopping for a break and soak a while....
    I mean it's not like it's some pristine water there.....
    For the most part, your boots and feet just have dirt (and perhaps some sweat) from the surrounding woods.

But the reasons to NOT wash your dishes in the stream are
    1. You don't want to get any soap in the stream (and I've known people who were ignorant enough to think that 'camp soap' was "stream safe" because it's biodegradeable).
    2. You don't want to get food in the stream

During my thru I found noodles sitting on the bottom the water source several times. Seriously, just use a bit of your filtered water. It takes so little. Are you thinking of big meals with multiple pots and dishes? You shouldn't be.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    During my thru I found noodles sitting on the bottom the water source several times. Seriously, just use a bit of your filtered water. It takes so little. Are you thinking of big meals with multiple pots and dishes? You shouldn't be.
    Came across the same thing at the water source of Ice Water Springs Shelter in GSMNP once... {Disgust}

I realize this is an old thread, but thought you might want to consider SOP on boats for centuries...

Wash in saltwater, rinse in clean freshwater.

Nothing's sanitary about the wash, it's the final rinse that matters.

Mike
    Eastover, SC
    Miles completed on the AT: 0 (Starting 5/24/2018)

I only eat out of a freezer bag so my pot never needs to be washed. I do get a little sloppy when filtering water and my clean bottle gets “dirty” occasionally but so far no problems.

When going solo which is 98% of the time I've never washed a cookpot or foldable Ti spork with filtered water. Never. Have been medically tested(stool) for pathogens 3X. Never an issue.

Images

My LNT method of pot cleaning: 1. Use spoon to clean and eat as much of dinner that sticks to side of pot as possible; 2) Pour about 3 oz of treated water into the pot; 3) Use bottom of spoon to loosen up remaining food residue; 4) Use finger (sanitized before cooking) to swirl water up to edges of side of pot to get any food residue there; 5) drink water with food bits from pot; 6) Boil water for evening tea in pot (sterilizing); Drink tea and put pot away.

This is particularly helpful when at a dry camp to which I've carried water or in desert areas where water is at a premium. Also, there are no bits of food thrown out with water if broadcast on the ground and less likelihood of attracting varmints.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

It helps to have options. Clean cookware without water. Use sand, a stick, leaves, moss, lichen, birch bark,...Scrape with utensils first. Swoosh the side of the pot with a clean finger. If using water use small amounts, and as Handlebar said, drink it. It's water. It's good for you. It has nutrients. Those are good for you. If eating something that sticks to a pot like mac n' cheese, cheese, etc, clean the pot right after eating.

Even if the unfiltered water had any "bugs" in it, allowing to air dry would kill them off.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I don't worry about untreated water for dishwashing. All that I'm washing is my pot and spork. I boit the spork in the pot the next time I cook. No problem, they've both just been sterilized.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Even if the unfiltered water had any "bugs" in it, allowing to air dry would kill them off.
    That may not be true in all instances, with all "bugs". Giardia cysts for example can survive up to 8 days on a dry, warm surface. They can survive for several weeks on dry, cool/cold surfaces. Fortunately heat does them in, so direct sun exposure on a hot day can kill them off in a few hours (presuming the pot surface reaches over 100 degrees), or boiling water will do them in and rid the surface of parasitical passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    That may not be true in all instances, with all "bugs". Giardia cysts for example can survive up to 8 days on a dry, warm surface. They can survive for several weeks on dry, cool/cold surfaces. Fortunately heat does them in, so direct sun exposure on a hot day can kill them off in a few hours (presuming the pot surface reaches over 100 degrees), or boiling water will do them in and rid the surface of parasitical passengers.
    Never too late to learn. After your post I've done a bit more research and the cysts are hardier than I was under the impression that they were. Thanks for the information.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyH View Post
    I'm with you.

Boiling kills almost everything. It takes some time, though.
    Not that much time. Bring it to a boil for a minute is the EPA's guideline.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

I use my titanium coffee cup as a scoop to fill my Sawyer bags sometimes. I heat it up over the stove to sterilize it. Takes a few seconds to heat an empty cup enough to kill germs, cysts, etc. (I hope! Lol)

I never wash my dishes with filtered water, and I would argue that it's silly to do so since any remaining contamination from washing dishes will be so small as to be a complete non-issue unless you have a suppressed immune system.

But then, I also frequently drink unfiltered water without ill side effects.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I always wash mine with unfiltered water because I know the next time I will be using it, I will be bringing water to a boil anyway. I wouldn't waste the sanitizer.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Like others, I don't worry about sterilizing my pots or other utensils after using them. I clean them, be sure there are no food particles remaining and then sterilize them just before using them again. As soon as I put a "sterilized" pot, cup, utensil, etc. back in my pack, on the lean-to shelf or wherever, it's not going to remain sterile. Best to do it just before I use the item so I know it's OK. Not to say this is the only way to go but I've been doing this for over 40 years now will no ill results. Of course, YMMV.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    My LNT method of pot cleaning: 1. Use spoon to clean and eat as much of dinner that sticks to side of pot as possible; 2) Pour about 3 oz of treated water into the pot; 3) Use bottom of spoon to loosen up remaining food residue; 4) Use finger (sanitized before cooking) to swirl water up to edges of side of pot to get any food residue there; 5) drink water with food bits from pot; 6) Boil water for evening tea in pot (sterilizing); Drink tea and put pot away.

This is particularly helpful when at a dry camp to which I've carried water or in desert areas where water is at a premium. Also, there are no bits of food thrown out with water if broadcast on the ground and less likelihood of attracting varmints.
    I do the same, up to point 5). Point 6) for me is a wipe down/sterilize using the splash of leftover fuel (Everclear) from my alcohol stove and bit of paper towel, which then goes into my odorproof garbage bag. Guess I'm more concerned about minimizing food odors (critters/bear) than bacteria, since as many have pointed out, the pot just gets heated later.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    ...If you are boiling water in the pot, it really doesn't matter if they are washed with unfiltered/untreated water. Boiling for most cooking purposes would kill off any tiny livestock that may linger in the pot.
    This...

I'm one of the few who washes dishes with hot water sans filtering or treatment. While eating dinner, I boil water in my second pot (yes, I'm also a 2-pot guy), use half of it for post-dinner hot chocolate and the rest for dish washing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++