WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Winding Stair Gap to NOC

Not sure if this is the place to post but am planning a three day from Winding Stair Gap to the NOC in a couple of weeks. Any advice or observations about that section?

Have fun. Good section.

Journal Entries

Before fires it was one of the best. Not sure since.
    I took several AT virgins on it . Balds, lookout towers, the jump, end at restaurant, what more could you want in section?

Plan to end at NOC in morning, and eat breakfast and drink coffee by river is quite nice on cool morning. Last shelter is .9 mile before it, 20 min stroll. . Bacon....mmm.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-12-2017 at 18:20.

Nice views from Siler Bald (0.5 mile side trail), and the fire towers at Wayah and Wesser Balds. The roof got burned off the Wayah Bald tower although I understand from talking to a ranger a month ago that it is going to be replaced. The Wesser Bald fire tower has amazing views in all directions.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    Nice views from Siler Bald (0.5 mile side trail), and the fire towers at Wayah and Wesser Balds. The roof got burned off the Wayah Bald tower although I understand from talking to a ranger a month ago that it is going to be replaced. The Wesser Bald fire tower has amazing views in all directions.
    I watched the sun rise from that tower; concur.

Just did that section last weekend. Don't worry about the burn. The undergrowth is in full-on restoration mode. Maybe I'll have my video of that section edited before you go. I found it tough. I probably wasn't in my best pack-shape. It's been a wet Summer down here and I haven't hiked quite as much. Lots of climbs but as others noted some outstanding views. Hit me up if you want details while they're fresh on my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Just did that section last weekend. Don't worry about the burn. The undergrowth is in full-on restoration mode. Maybe I'll have my video of that section edited before you go. I found it tough. I probably wasn't in my best pack-shape. It's been a wet Summer down here and I haven't hiked quite as much. Lots of climbs but as others noted some outstanding views. Hit me up if you want details while they're fresh on my mind.
    For me, the downhill was worse. Lots of long fairly steep slopes down. I remember my toes jamming in my shoes a lot.

Journal Entries

I finished the section, the first day from Winding Stair Gap to Wayah Bald was pretty brutal, lots of climbs and it was warmer than I like to hike in. But the views were indeed awesome. We got a thunder boomer that night at Wayah Shelter but it was all sound and fury without any rain. I ran into the trail maintenance guys at Wayah Bald and they had just finished staining Wayah shelter. They also appear to have dug a few new tent spots into the hill. I ran into two south bound through hikers, wondering snail and foghat. They were both finishing up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by slammer View Post
    I finished the section, the first day from Winding Stair Gap to Wayah Bald was pretty brutal, lots of climbs and it was warmer than I like to hike in. But the views were indeed awesome. We got a thunder boomer that night at Wayah Shelter but it was all sound and fury without any rain. I ran into the trail maintenance guys at Wayah Bald and they had just finished staining Wayah shelter. They also appear to have dug a few new tent spots into the hill. I ran into two south bound through hikers, wondering snail and foghat. They were both finishing up soon.
    Good to hear about the tent spots. Level ground was hard to come by there and at Wesser. Though Wesser was the "Wesser" of two evils.

What kind of impact did Irma have an impact on this section?

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    What kind of impact did Irma have an impact on this section?
    We're planning WSG to Stecoah Gap 10/6-9. Will give a report then. Hope its not not too bad.

Did it in two days Oct 6-7, camping at Licklog Gap.

Only one semi-significant blowdown, I think it was between Licklog and Burningtown Gap, but don't quote me on that.

No water between Wesser shelter and the NOC, but today's rain from Hurricane Nate may improve that. I ran out about three miles out...

Area is recovering very well from the fires last year. The most evident damage is at Wayah Bald and on the ridge north of Wesser Bald where it got really hot and killed the mountain laurel on the summit and crests.

The climb down from Wesser Bald to the NOC is pretty strenuous.

Can I park at NOC and take shuttle to Winding Stair Gap, what would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by lagunatuna View Post
    Can I park at NOC and take shuttle to Winding Stair Gap, what would you suggest?
    Call Nantahala Outdoor Center (828)488-2175 .

Was water available? I am thinking about this section in early October?

++ New Posts ++