WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GSMNP: Mt Guyot

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default GSMNP: Mt Guyot

For some time, I've been interested in a trip up to the top of Mt. Guyot... and I think now is the time to start getting a bit more serious about it.

So I've got two questions:
    1. Who can provide any suggestions beyond the few web pages I can find Googling the subject?
    2. Who would be interested in going?

While I know skilled hikers have made a day trip of it, I'm thinking the best way to try this as a 1st trip off-trail is to hike to Tricorner Shelter on a Saturday, and summit Guyot on Sunday morning. If I have time, I'll head out of the woods and home the same day. But just in case the day is short, I'll have a reservation for a campsite between Guyot and my car and return home Monday.

Anyone who can provide any advice, please post here.
    Anyone interested in going to... PM me and I'll see if a weekend can be found that a few of us could get together to do this.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

For those that don't know about Mt Guyot:
    Second highest moutain in GSMNP
    Located in one of the most remote sections of the park
    Highest mountain east of the Mississippi that doesn't have a path to the summit.
    There is a geological Survey marker at the summit.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Experienced off trail hikers have managed the entire trip as a day hike.
    http://www.peakbagger.com/climber/as...spx?aid=239221

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Plan info:
    Tricorner Knob shelter is about 10 miles from any trailhead. It's about the same distance to the shelter if you try to approach from the Cosby area in TN or the Balsam Mountain area in NC. There are additional campsites between either areas and the Tricorner Knob shelter.
    Even alone, it should be nearly impossible to get lost as the AT is pretty much on three sides of the mountain.
    But there are lots of reports of many downed trees in the area. You can see large areas of downed trees in Google Earth, and after the storms this week, there might be more.
    But that why I think it would be good for a set of beginners to head off trail for this summit. I imagine there's going to be some climbing over tree trunks and branches. Lots of potential for someone to slip and fall and get hurt. So while it's not likely someone would get hurt, but the combination of being off trail and in a remote section of the park does make it sound like it's not a bad idea the venture to the summit with a buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    For those that don't know about Mt Guyot:
    Second highest moutain in GSMNP
    Located in one of the most remote sections of the park
    Highest mountain east of the Mississippi that doesn't have a path to the summit.
    There is a geological Survey marker at the summit.
    Looks like an interesting bushwhack to the top, and not very long. The issue seems to be with beetle-kill fir trees forming deadfalls, even at the peak. Plus, apparently even on a good day, there is no view from the summit, only a cairn and the Survey marker. However, it seems to be one of the least-visited 6000 footers east of the Mississippi, even the Cherokee wanted nothing to do with it.

Here's a link to what is likely the shortest out and back to the peak. I found the fact that there is extensive wreckage of the 1984 F4 Phantom crash accessible during the hike to be of interest, and is the one thing(other than bagging it to add to the "list") that piques my desire!!

Depending on timing, I could be in on this!

http://www.peakbagger.com/climber/as...spx?aid=239221

I was typing the same link as you were posting it!

Aint insomnia grand?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Depending on timing, I could be in on this!
    Send me a PM on dates that might be open for you.

As previously stated, I'm looking to simply have those interested get themselves a permit for Tricorner Knob shelter on a Saturday night. We meet there and summit Sunday morning.
    Looking at the back country permit website, it pretty much looks like the earliest could be October 14th.
    There's currently only one spot available for this weekend, 2 spots for Sep 30, with Sep 23 & Oct 7th already booked full.

In concern for those that might not want to publicly announce a time period they will be away from home, I'm planning to keep discussions about a date offline (beyond obvious "no go" dates listed above).
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-11-2017 at 09:37.

ooh sounds like fun. have you thought about the Ramsey Cascades approach?
    http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...ter-and-beyond

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I found the fact that there is extensive wreckage of the 1984 F4 Phantom crash accessible during the hike to be of interest
    For others that might be interested, the wreckage isn't in the area of Mt. Guyot's peak. It's in the area near the Snake Den Ridge/AT trail intersection.

I wouldn't call the wreckage "extensive". But I do seem to recall it was easy to spot, both near the top of Snake Den Ridge Trail and more on the AT.

Anyone coming from Balsam Mountain would have to go a bit out of the way to see the wreckage. It's a little less than 4 miles (one way) from the Tricorner Knob Shelter to the Snake Den Ridge trail.

And on the subject of distance, it's about 1 to 1.5 miles from Tricorner Knob Shelter to the general area I'd expect to head off trail towards the summit and about 1/4 to 1/3 mile to the summit. So if you come from the Balsam Mountain area and want to leave the woods on summit day, you can expect to have to be able to hike about 14 miles total that Sunday.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

BTW: Anyone with knowledge on this subject, I'd love to hear any suggestions on directions getting to the summit.

For years, I've looked at the region in Google Earth. It looks like swaths of downed trees can be avoided if you approach the summit from due north.

The Brown Book makes mention of a "man-way" from due west where the AT crosses the ridge that leads to the summit. But when I walked by that section of trail a few years ago trying to keep an eye open for the start of the man-way, I couldn't find it. And if you did, google earth looks like that path puts you crossing the worst of the visible downed trees.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    ooh sounds like fun. have you thought about the Ramsey Cascades approach?
    http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...ter-and-beyond
    The idea here is to make this a hike for "beginner" off-trail hikers.
    The off-trial segment of a hike to Guyot is around 1/2 mile (combined both ways).
    The off-trail segment of a hike up Ramsey Cascade to the AT is closer to 3 miles.

yeah, it was more tongue-in-cheek than serious. but, it looks like their final push to the summit from the AT was a relatively open stroll. that stretch of the AT is a happy place for me.

Images

The Brown Book makes mention of a "man-way" from due west where the AT crosses the ridge that leads to the summit. But when I walked by that section of trail a few years ago trying to keep an eye open for the start of the man-way, I couldn't find it.

while i have never been able to find it-----i wouldnt classify it as a "manway"...............

i would just say (from what people told me and i have read) a very very faint path....

sometimes there is flagging ribbon in that area..........sometimes not........

and some flagging ribbon once you get off AT (i believe)...

and i think Patman has been up there about a month or so ago------i will send him a PM but i think he is out in the Tetons or somewhere fancy doing some hiking....

If I remember correctly, I think there are several blogs on the GoSmokies site on this subject. You might search there for information and get some firsthand information from some of the members who have gone here.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bmelee View Post
    If I remember correctly, I think there are several blogs on the GoSmokies site on this subject. You might search there for information and get some firsthand information from some of the members who have gone here.
    Yea, when I've gone looking for info in the past, bits of information could be gathered from both GoSmokies and Peakbagger.

Images

Forty years ago I made an overnight hike to Tricorner via Snake Den trail. One the way back I went to what I thought was the summit of Mt. Guyot. Even then there was a lot of downed trees. The high point was not very distinct and there was no view. I don't recall a marker but I could have missed it or forgotten.
    The wreckage of the F4 is said to be scattered over 20 acres. In 2015 I worked one week with the Rocky Top trail crew and spent a week around Inadu Knob and Old Black but didn't get back to Guyot. Many pieces of plane are still around. We had to be careful not to pitch a tent on the shards of metal.

Images

I don't recall a marker but I could have missed it or forgotten.

i believe theres a small pile of rocks up there now....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    I don't recall a marker but I could have missed it or forgotten.
    When I've read other reports from GoSmokies and PeakBagger, seems like the marker is difficult to find... perhaps not located on the very apex of the summit.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Weather is looking pretty good this coming weeking (10/21/2017)... anyone got an interest in Guyot right now?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Weather is looking pretty good this coming weeking (10/21/2017)... anyone got an interest in Guyot right now?
    Did you go? Or is it still in the bucket list?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++