WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water sources at Campsites 13 and 113, and Mollies Ridge shelter

Planning a hike in the Twentymile section of the park.

Was looking at Backcountry sites 13 and 113, and Mollies Ridge Shelter as places to camp.

Can anybody provide info on if water is available at these sites?

Thanks for your help.

Journal Entries

Should be no problems. Plenty of rain this year.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you are approaching BC13 from Long Hungary Ridge Tr, the best water source is Moore Spring. It is located about a 1/3 mile down an unlabeled trail that begins at the intersection with Gregory Bald and Gregory Ridge trail. From the spring, you can rejoin Gregory Bald trail by simply walking strait uphill from the spring (the actual trail is at the bushes on the east side of the spring).

If you are approaching BC13 from Wolf Ridge or Gregory Bald (Parson's Branch side), your water source is about 1/4 mile down the Gregory Bald trail from the camp site. Compared to Moore Spring, this water source is a minor seep. It's remarkably quite reliable even when it's been a while since any rain has fallen... but it's still a small seep. Water collection can be difficult when you don't have a pump-style water filter. This water source is the reason why it took until the Sawyer Mini came out before I converted from a pump filter to a Sawyer.

The water source for 113 is basically in the middle of the camp site. The campsite spans a small valley with camping spots on both sides of the valley. Where the trail crosses the valley, there is a pipe. If the water isn't flowing, simply follow the valley downhill for 100' or so and you should find water.

There's a water source at Mollies Ridge, a sign points the way. It too is a small seep located not far from the shelter. It's been a while since I stayed at the shelter, so I don't remember many more details. While this is one of the first water sources to run dry at some of the GSMNP campsites, recent rains should be enough to keep it from running dry for now.

I find it strange you're including Mollies Ridge Shelter for a Twentymile section hike. If you're starting at TwentyMile Ranger Station, Mollies Ridge is either an out-and-back hike that (IMHO) isn't worth it, or you have to make a loop that requires you to eventually pass BC90 and then climb the steep ridge Shuckstack Fire Tower sits on.

Now if you started at Fontana Dam, I could see a loop that goes up the AT, and heads out to BC13 as an out-and-back that is worth it, then Mollies Ridge to Eagle Creek returning to the dam on Lakeshore Trail.

Images

plenty of rain lately so plenty of water....

you'll not only see the springs that are mentioned but you'll probably see other seepages as well......

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I find it strange you're including Mollies Ridge Shelter for a Twentymile section hike. If you're starting at TwentyMile Ranger Station, Mollies Ridge is either an out-and-back hike that (IMHO) isn't worth it, or you have to make a loop that requires you to eventually pass BC90 and then climb the steep ridge Shuckstack Fire Tower sits on.

Now if you started at Fontana Dam, I could see a loop that goes up the AT, and heads out to BC13 as an out-and-back that is worth it, then Mollies Ridge to Eagle Creek returning to the dam on Lakeshore Trail.
    Thanks for the excellent info.

I plan to start at TwentyMile Ranger Station and head up Wolf Ridge Trail the first day and staying at campsite 13. Second Day, head to Mollies Ridge Shelter. Third day, backtrack a bit south on AT to campsite 113. Fourth day, hit Shuckstack tower then head back on the Twenty Mile trail back to the Ranger's station.

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi Veloce View Post
    I plan to start at TwentyMile Ranger Station and head up Wolf Ridge Trail the first day and staying at campsite 13. Second Day, head to Mollies Ridge Shelter. Third day, backtrack a bit south on AT to campsite 113. Fourth day, hit Shuckstack tower then head back on the Twenty Mile trail back to the Ranger's station.
    Hopefully this will make HooKooDooKu's directions a little easier to understand. The red circle is the seep he mentioned. It can be a bit muddy.

Moore Spring is better quality, but the side trail isn't marked as such. Where I've drawn blue circles, mark the ends of the parallel trail. There are small signs at each end that say "no horses beyond this point." The west end (closest to CS 13) is after you've crossed Gregory Bald and passed through the azalea thicket into the woods. The east end is almost exactly across from the Gregory Ridge Trail. Follow this parallel trail and you will find the old shelter site and the spring.

Image3.jpg

Images

but the side trail isn't marked as such.

someone has carved out "h2o" and an arrow on one of the signs at the intersection..

its not a trail thats marked on the map, but its easy to follow....

is after you've crossed Gregory Bald and passed through the azalea thicket into the woods.

this way----coming down from the bald-----is a little harder to follow.............but it follows a drainage and leads right into the spring.....

Thanks for the excellent info, Johnacraft and TNhiker.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Now that we know the details of your hike...

Climbing Wolf Ridge, you can find water a short distance up the side trail that leads to Campsite #95. I think there is at least one other major water seep between #95 and Parson Bald. But these water sources are miles from campsite #13. However, I've found that sometimes I'm so sore after making the climb, really don't want to then have to hike the nearly quarter mile down hill (about 100' in elevation change) to get water and have to hike back up to the campsite... so I've climbed Wolf Ridge and hauled just enough water up to #13 to last me until I could get to Moore Spring the next day.

If you use the #13 water source, it is located a little less than quarter mile down Gregory Bald trail from the intersection sign at the edge of camp. Your first sight of the water source might be a mud bog on the left side of the trail, but the cleanest water will be from a seep on the right. Actually, there are two seeps located about 40' apart separated by a hump in the trail. While water is usually flowing better from the 1st seep, I have found that the 2nd seep sometimes has a better water flow.

On your second day, rather than hiking down to the water source for #13, make sure you already got enough water from the night before to tide you over until you can reach Moore Spring. As noted above, the unnamed trail is marked by a sign saying "No Horses" and is located 0.8 miles from the camp (the distance from camp to the Gregory Bald survey marker is the same distance from the survey marker to the side trail). Should you miss it, you'll have no problems finding the trail at the intersection with Gregory Ridge, but waiting until there will add about a half mile to your trip.

Here's a screen shot from my Google Earth data showing some of the mileages. CS #13 is the teepee on the left, the bald area in the middle is Gregory Bald.
    GregoryBald.jpg

Thanks, HooKooDooKu, for the great info and advice. I usually use Aquamira to treat water, but will take along a filter pump due to the source for #13 being a seep.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks, HooKooDooKu, for the great info and advice. I usually use Aquamira to treat water, but will take along a filter pump due to the source for #13 being a seep.
    Unless water levels are REALLY LOW... the water source at #13 doesn't requires a pump. For the longest time, I was afraid it did, and that delayed my transition from a Sweetwater pump to the Sawyer.

But today, if I find myself heading to #13 approaching from the Wolf Ridge side, I take my Sawyer Mini. The good news is that this "seep" is coming off a hillside when you look to the right of the trail (when facing down hill). It might take a little while, but because it's still "falling water", you should be able to fill a bladder and leave the pump at home.

#113 MIGHT be a different story during a time of low water. The only time I camped at #113 was during a time of low water. The pipe that would normally be the water source was dry. But you simply had to walk down the valley for about 100 yards from the pipe to find flowing water. However, there the water is basically flowing along the ground and not "falling" like it is at #13. At that time, I was still using my Sweetwater pump, and collecting water was as simply as finding a small depression in the ground where the water was running. Since switching to the Sawyer Mini, I have not faced a similar challenge.

++ New Posts ++