WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A comment on the Maine maps. The biggest issue with Maine is if you need to go off trail to get to civilization. Unlike the majority of the AT, it can be a couple of days especially if you go the wrong direction to get to civilization. Cell coverage is not great to non existent and usually its only up on the ridgelines so any sort of navigation via cellphone will probably not work. The maine maps generally give you enough overview so you can navigate the logging roads to get out to major highway where you can hitch.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    A comment on the Maine maps. The biggest issue with Maine is if you need to go off trail to get to civilization. Unlike the majority of the AT, it can be a couple of days especially if you go the wrong direction to get to civilization...
    I wouldn't hike Maine or in the Whites again w/o maps & compass. And if one isn't well versed in land navigation, a course of instruction would be wise.

It is sweet to sit on exposed ridge, munching on a granola bar, with a map properly oriented in front of me, the names of visible rivers, valleys, towns and mountains exposed to me.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Take the data book and just let every town you come upon be a surprise. Its part of the adventure.

LDog. Great suggestion. I probably will do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Take the data book and just let every town you come upon be a surprise. Its part of the adventure.
    +1

The data book is all you need, and fits handily in a ziplock in a cargoshort pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by kibs View Post
    my first solo NOBO on AT begins next May. what would you bring with you to get you critical info on local towns along the way without bringing too much reference material?
    a smart phone with some prior downloaded “heads up” on towns ya plan to hit...otherwise wingfootit!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Off the Whiteblaze front page - this guide has a bunch of info: https://whiteblazepages.com/
    My wife and I have used it for three section n hikes.

The PATC maps were great —but they discontinued the app

I’m still sorry I didn’t buy more of them.

Guthooks just gets better.

I use the old new stand-by as well (AWOL).

The data book wasn’t that useful.

It has been fun to compare them in use.

however. I want a way to buy the discontinued PATC map apps for the rest of the trail.
    Last edited by Ethesis; 11-04-2017 at 14:18.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++