WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear Shakedown Hike Results

Took all my new gear out for a shakedown this week. Gear all worked fine, but I personally learned many things. I hiked several miles out and back on the Old Loggers Path in northern PA. Here is what I gleaned from the experience.

1. Do not over-estimate your physical condition. At 62, I can no longer breeze through the woods like I did whenever I was a youngster.
    2. Do not under-estimate the conditions of the trail you are about to hike.
    3. Unless you plan to feed Seal Team 6, there is no need to fill a Zpacks Bear Bag to the hilt for a couple of nights on ANY trail.
    4. If you are hiking alone on an obscure trail, give thought to being in an area with zero cell service.
    5. Take way more toilet paper than what you think you'll need.
    6. "It's only a couple of ounces" may be the most devastating words ever uttered.
    7. 38 lbs is too many.
    8. If you exceed the maximum recommended load by the pack manufacturer, do NOT expect it to perform properly.
    9. Falling, with a too-heavy pack is one thing. Getting back up is something else entirely.
    10. You may need a backhoe to dig a cathole in PA.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Ah yes, Sounds like me after my first 10d hike thru Shenandoah NP after 20 years of not backpacking -- there is much truth in your words, I foresee a journey down the path of ultralight backpacking YouTube videos and forums grasshopper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Journal Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by zig-zag man View Post
    Took all my new gear out for a shakedown this week. Gear all worked fine, but I personally learned many things. I hiked several miles out and back on the Old Loggers Path in northern PA. Here is what I gleaned from the experience.

1. Do not over-estimate your physical condition. At 62, I can no longer breeze through the woods like I did whenever I was a youngster.
    2. Do not under-estimate the conditions of the trail you are about to hike.
    3. Unless you plan to feed Seal Team 6, there is no need to fill a Zpacks Bear Bag to the hilt for a couple of nights on ANY trail.
    4. If you are hiking alone on an obscure trail, give thought to being in an area with zero cell service.
    5. Take way more toilet paper than what you think you'll need.
    6. "It's only a couple of ounces" may be the most devastating words ever uttered.
    7. 38 lbs is too many.
    8. If you exceed the maximum recommended load by the pack manufacturer, do NOT expect it to perform properly.
    9. Falling, with a too-heavy pack is one thing. Getting back up is something else entirely.
    10. You may need a backhoe to dig a cathole in PA.

Repeated here for ten thousandth time.

Out of curiosity
    Did you not believe what you read....and just had to find out for self?

Or did you just not read what others say?

No secrets
    Trail is rocky and steep
    Even younger people in good shape dont want to carry more than 25 if can avoid it
    Why make things hard on self, if dont have to?

Im sure you had fun though, and thats what counts most.
    But it can be funner when its easier.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-09-2017 at 08:18.

Images

​Congrats on a successful hike!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Repeated here for ten thousandth time.

Out of curiosity
    Did you not believe what you read....and just had to find out for self?

Or did you just not read what others say?
    I apologize for being repetitive. And I haven't read every WB post. I just joined a couple months ago. I have learned a lot here. Perhaps I didn't apply all of it. But thank you for tolerating my inexperience. I can appreciate how difficult it must be for you.
    zig-zag man

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    ​Congrats on a successful hike!!!
    Thanks....
    zig-zag man

Images

Nothing compares to hands on experience...

What did you think of the Old Loggers Path?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Falling and getting back up are skills like any other. The more you do them, the better you get at them Learning how to fall without getting hurt and how to get back on your feet even with a 60lb winter pack are good skills to learn.

You are smart enough to go out and test your skills and gear out so you are far ahead of those who show up at Springer with price tags flapping as they read the instruction manual for their tent. The more you go the more you'll learn about yourself and your gear. I still learn on most every trip I take. Be safe, but have fun with the learning process.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DrL View Post
    Nothing compares to hands on experience...

What did you think of the Old Loggers Path?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Apparently they had catastrophic flooding of epic proportions last October. I live 3 hours south of there, so I was unaware. Anyways, a lot of the trail infrastructure was washed away, so the trail itself is in pretty rough shape. It took me 7 hours to hike 6.5 miles, and I set up camp on unlevel ground in the dark. Got up and hiked back out the next day - for a total of 13 miles hiking. Today I feel like the guy whose parachute failed to deploy but he survived the fall. But I learned some important lessons, and I'll make the necessary adjustments before heading back out. The trail was blazed very well, it's just that it has fallen into general disrepair since the flooding.
    zig-zag man

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zig-zag man View Post
    I apologize for being repetitive. And I haven't read every WB post. I just joined a couple months ago. I have learned a lot here. Perhaps I didn't apply all of it. But thank you for tolerating my inexperience. I can appreciate how difficult it must be for you.
    Im not chastising you for posting, dont take it wrong way.

Just asking that you could spend any time , at all, on this board and not have the #1 takeaway that lighter is better is interesting.

Some people truly must learn everything for themselves.

Some are open to learning from others experiences instead.

A few show up, ask advice, and then refuse to accept it, maintaining it doesnt apply to them. It ends up being a sideshow to watch them go fail. They have reasons they need 45 lbs stuff, they truly believe they can hike on $500, etc. Or use chinese $25 tent, or $30 pack.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-09-2017 at 10:08.

WB is a wealth of hiking tips, gear talk, up to date trail info etc.

however, most people don't live on the internet.

we have all made mistakes, and from these we learn MUCH better than navigating text on a screen.

good job on your shakedown! I can't wait for next chance to get on trail. Soon as Irma passes I'll get back out there.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Im not chastising you for posting, dont take it wrong way.

Just asking that you could spend any time , at all, on this board and not have the #1 takeaway that lighter is better is interesting.

Some people truly must learn everything for themselves.

Some are open to learning from others experiences instead.

A few show up, ask advice, and then refuse to accept it, maintaining it doesnt apply to them. It ends up being a sideshow to watch them go fail. They have reasons they need 45 lbs stuff, they truly believe they can hike on $500, etc. Or use chinese $25 tent, or $30 pack.
    Well, now I know.
    zig-zag man

Quote Originally Posted by tour-kid View Post
    WB is a wealth of hiking tips, gear talk, up to date trail info etc.

however, most people don't live on the internet.

we have all made mistakes, and from these we learn MUCH better than navigating text on a screen.

good job on your shakedown! I can't wait for next chance to get on trail. Soon as Irma passes I'll get back out there.
    Cool beans, tk. Happy Trails!
    zig-zag man

++ New Posts ++