WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Left the house without fuel once. Thank goodness for 24hr Walmart! Left my folding stool this last trip. It was to be my first outing with it and have been nice to have too!

Left my trail runners once.. Man I was not happy once I realized that and had to turn the car around

It is good to use a checklist.

Checklist
    1. Cigarette lighter
    2. Cigarettes
    3. Bottle of vodka
    4. 3 x cans of tomato juice
    5. box of extra small condoms
    6. backpack
    7. collect clothes from laundry
    8. buy food (lots)
    9. shoes
    10. passport

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Checklist
    1. Cigarette lighter
    2. Cigarettes
    3. Bottle of vodka
    4. 3 x cans of tomato juice
    5. box of extra small condoms
    6. backpack
    7. collect clothes from laundry
    8. buy food (lots)
    9. shoes
    10. passport
    Thank you. I'll use this list.

At one time or another - pocket knife, map(s), lighter(ability to start a fire), appropriate food for the length I'll be out between a resupply, sunglasses/reading glasses, bug juice/tick prevention, and basically winging it without properly preparing logistically - not reviewing the hike on a map, water availability, alerts(trail closures, etc), winging obtaining a permit if it was needed, not matching gear like shoes, apparel layers, or rain gear to the hike. You should go through all your gear setting it all up and checking it all out pre hike so you have no on trail surprises in this category.

Ooh, I remembered one!
    On a cold weather outing (I'm from Florida, so anything below freezing is cold) I forgot chapstick. That trip is when I figured out I could use the Vaseline cotton ball fire starters on lips and fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I forgot my spoon once, forgot to pack enough snacks once, forgot rain gear once, forgot toilet paper once...do you see a pattern?
    "..once.."
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Images

I always forget to forget several unnecessary items.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    This may sound goofy but before I leave for a trip I mentally imagine myself setting up camp, cooking dinner, etc. It helps me mentally go over all of the gear I'm going to need and remember if I forgot something.
    I do the same thing and not just for backpacking.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

This summer on July 2nd, I stayed at Elisa Brook shelter after it rained 4 inches in two hours. The next morning I walked away and left my $180 Packa hanging on the outside of the shelter.

For the next eight days I walked through the Whites with no rain wear.

How dumb is that?

Left for my through hike and forgot 1. a pen/pencil to write in my journal/notepad with. 2. a small journal/notepad to write in 3. lighters!!! did not bring on plane and forgot.

The small journal was surprisingly not available in the gift shop as I expected.

I forget��

There's less risk of leavingsomething at home or at a CS IF:
    1) DO NOT bring a large kit
    2)Have one general basic kit from which you work that is easily amendable
    3)Store gear organized into categories like packs, shelters, sleep system, food, trail hygiene, cookware and fuel, apparel with sub apparel categories, etc. This makes it easier to grab needed items. If need be post an essentials checklist in your gear storage area
    4)Keep a tidy pack generally repeatedly packing all items the same
    5)Keep a tidy camp. Keep your
    stuff together. Extra due deligence required if you're in a group?
    6)at all CS's triple check for anything you may be forgetting

There's less risk of leavingsomething at home or at a CS IF:
    1) DO NOT bring a large kit
    2)Have one general basic kit from which you work that is easily amendable
    3)Store gear organized into categories like packs, shelters, sleep system, food, trail hygiene, cookware and fuel, apparel with sub apparel categories, etc. This makes it easier to grab needed items. If need be post an essentials checklist in your gear storage area
    4)Keep a tidy pack generally repeatedly packing all items the same
    5)Keep a tidy camp. Keep your
    stuff together. Extra due deligence required if you're in a group?
    6)at all CS's triple check for anything you may be forgetting

Do not drug or drink when backpacking.

I'm sure I've forgotten any number of things over the years. But, I generally pack with a list and double check it, so I have never left behind anything vital.

However, since my packing lists include "first aid kit" as a single line item, it is not uncommon for me to head out with some items missing from inside my little emergency kit that I forgot to replenish following a previous trip. Never fear though, for anything truly vital, I always have more than one way of solving the problem, even if the alternative is a pain in the back side.

Forgot chap stick? Put sun screen on my lips.
    Forgot band-aids? I use duct tape or athletic tape.
    Forgot sunscreen? I use chap stick or various cloth coverings.
    Forgot spare batteries? I pull out my little emergency backup light.
    Forgot toilet paper? Good. That's just smart. I hate the stuff. Water works so much better.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Last trip I forgot to test my Sawyer Squeeze water filter. When I went to use it I couldn't get any water through it...well maybe just a few drops, but it would have probably taken an hour to filter a liter at that rate. It worked fine on my previous trip and I had only used it with clear water, so it shouldn't be clogged. Anyway I tried to back flush it with a Smart Water bottle with the squeeze top, but no mater how hard I squeezed, no water would go through. Fortunately I was able to share a friend's filter, so no real issue. When I got home I tried to back flush it with the syringe, with not much luck. I ended up soaking the filter in water overnight and that did the trick. After that I was able to back flush it and it worked like new. Not sure what the issue was.

Anyway, two things not to forget:
    1. Test your filter before you leave.
    2. Backup method for water purification (aquamira, tablets, etc.)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tak2w View Post
    Last trip I forgot to test my Sawyer Squeeze water filter. When I went to use it I couldn't get any water through it...well maybe just a few drops, but it would have probably taken an hour to filter a liter at that rate. It worked fine on my previous trip and I had only used it with clear water, so it shouldn't be clogged. Anyway I tried to back flush it with a Smart Water bottle with the squeeze top, but no mater how hard I squeezed, no water would go through. Fortunately I was able to share a friend's filter, so no real issue. When I got home I tried to back flush it with the syringe, with not much luck. I ended up soaking the filter in water overnight and that did the trick. After that I was able to back flush it and it worked like new. Not sure what the issue was.

Anyway, two things not to forget:
    1. Test your filter before you leave.
    2. Backup method for water purification (aquamira, tablets, etc.)
    Sounds like some "crud" got caught when you used it and forgot to back flush it. Remember that it filters down to .1 microns. By soaking it, you basically hydrated the filter and "crud" so as to make back flushing possible.
    Blackheart

I got to the trailhead once and realized that i would soon need to be digging a cathole. I then realized I hadn't packed my trowel/tp etc. I decided to look around in my car for alternatives and there was my poop kit on the seat since I had brought it with me on a day hike the weekend before. Phew. That was a relief.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++