WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cape Breton National Park, Nova Scotia

It's a long way from the AT but very much worth exploring Cape Breton National Park if you ever happen to travel that way. There are dozens of individual trails and hundreds of miles of trails in this park. Flora and fauna are similar to what you'd find in northern Maine and on the high traverses of the AT in the White Mountains of New Hampshire and in Maine. The views are phenomenal. In overall size and wildness, I'd compare it the Adirondacks in New York. There are absolutely no roads running through it.

Sad to say, I didn't get to do any extensive hikes there this time around, but I'm already thinking about a return visit with a focus on hiking.

http://www.novascotia.com/see-do/att...onal-park/1565

I could not agree more! I go there as often as I can, it's a great place to hike.

It is a beautiful area. Not really any long hikes. Shorter day hikes to combine and enjoy.

If you have time and want to combine that with some other backpacking, you can take the ferry from north sydney, NS, and go over to newfoundland. The combined "northern and long range traverse" is a great trail, not overly crowded.
    https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/nl/gro...es/backcountry

And then the east coast trail in newfoundland has about 200 miles of trail, some of it spectacular and remote

The Long Range Traverse limits the number of permits it gives out. We tried to do it, but hadn't reserved a spot ahead of time and were told that there were no permits available for several weeks.

Still, we did some great hikes on Gros Morne and elsewhere in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.

Cape Breton is amazing, went in June. Go to Meat Cove at the northern end, worth the drive and they have an extensive system of trails. A new longer trail is planned, called the Seawall Trail, looks like it will be stunning. The national park is mostly dayhiking, but again, it is truly beautiful. Don't miss Skyline Trail on a clear day.

Cape Chignecto Prov. Park in Nova Scotia is also excellent, has a 20-30 mile loop. Stunning coastal scenery and sea stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
    Cape Chignecto Prov. Park in Nova Scotia is also excellent, has a 20-30 mile loop. Stunning coastal scenery and sea stacks.
    Absolutely! And the fact that it's a loop eliminates the need for a shuttle.

++ New Posts ++