WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GSMNP Crevasse

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    glitch
    contour lines would run parallel and get closer together as the terrain got steeper

on both sides
    not go down into a fold

looks like a map was scanned with a fold in it and wasnt completely flat
    The topography data there is lidar based, not from a scanned map. I do suppose there could be some data processing errors, tho I somewhat doubt it. (For example, in one of the areas I generally hike the lidar data says there are three 150 foot deep, small, steep sided pits. They are not real. I'm far from a lidar expert, but I suspect is that instead of a plane-ground-plane bounce, those areas are seeing a plane-water-canopy-water-plane bounce, and thus making it appear the ground is two tree-heights below where it really is. Oh, there are plenty of small ponds in this area, and the three pits are in fact just three of the shallow ponds.)

Clearly that's not the explanation for the anomaly in the GSM, but I suppose there could be some other reflective material in the surface there.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by centerfieldr162 View Post
    Replying quick as I'm leaving work but will respond more in depth when I've got time to not worry about beating the shipyard traffic. I'd be up for both hikes. I have been interested in guyot's peak for quite some time. I could squeeze a day off work and make a long weekend for one trip at a time.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Given that I have ZERO off-trail experience, I don't think trying to find some unknown spot on the side of a mountain is the best place to start.
    But Mt. Guyot seems like a much more reasonable place to start... especially if others would like to go too.
    So I think I'll crank up a new thread to see who might be interested in a trip.

==Old Thread==

I have remained curious about this feature. Well, it's just a data glitch. Sometime in the last 6 years there's been updated lidar data, and, while the "ravine" shows at low resolution, zoom in and it disappears. It's just not real.
    --
    EJS
    (Ed. S)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++