WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default sleeping pad cover for quilt?

I have a 20 degree quilt I'm gonna use this fall and was wondering what you guys use on the pad. It seems that will be very uncomfortable on the skin if you dont have a shirt on.
    Thanks

Images

I always sleep in a sleeping bag liner with my sleeping bag splayed open and over me like a quilt. Solves the issue you mention and keeps my sleeping bag cleaner.

http://www.seatosummitusa.com/travel...ng-bag-liners/

Images

I concur. Either I am in my sleeping bag liner or my sleeping bag is in the liner. Sleeping bag liners are the way to go.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stilllife View Post
    I have a 20 degree quilt I'm gonna use this fall and was wondering what you guys use on the pad. It seems that will be very uncomfortable on the skin if you dont have a shirt on.
    Thanks
    Why wouldnt you have a shirt on?

I prefer to wear a baselayer. Don't want to be in a liner. Defeats the purpose of a quilt.

Leonidas

If it is 20*, I would imagine I would have a shirt on. Regardless, I wear at least a merino t-shirt and shorts when I use my 40* quilt. I believe BA makes pad covers for the purpose you have mentioned though.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    I concur. Either I am in my sleeping bag liner or my sleeping bag is in the liner. Sleeping bag liners are the way to go.

Correction: Or my sleeping PAD is in the sleeping bag liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I prefer to wear a baselayer. Don't want to be in a liner. Defeats the purpose of a quilt.
    Explain? They don't seem mutually exclusive.

I believe a liner is required with a quilt.
    Because, 1) you don't stick to the pad and 2) reduces drafts since you can't zip a quilt up tight.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the ideas. I typically sleep nude unless its cold enough that I need a base layer of merino on. I'm really a bag person anyway but bought a quilt for my hammock and thought I would try it in the tent. May have to try the silk liner.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Thanks for the ideas. I typically sleep nude unless its cold enough that I need a base layer of merino on. I'm really a bag person anyway but bought a quilt for my hammock and thought I would try it in the tent. May have to try the silk liner.
    If you sleep nude, I strongly suggest you make sure you don't have any allergy issues with silk! My dad found out the hard way with silk boxers! Never had any issues before, but that much silk on sensitive parts... just sayin'

Garlic
    Images

If it's too warm to wear my shirt to bed, I put the shirt on top of the pad and sleep on that.

(This is one of those things I thought I'd never have to describe.)

Right. When I get to camp, I wipe down with a Sham-wow, making myself "clean". That allows more freedom, being less confined from a liner.

Have you tried sleeping on your pad? Just put it on the floor at home and try it.
    I don't think it's as bad as folks make it out to be. In high summer I sleep in my shorts and no shirt right on my pads. Neo-Air and Exped brands.

If I'm in the middle of nowhere, not too big a deal- but decent to have shorts on at least so you're decent enough if you gotta get up for some reason.

A little hot water and doc bronners peppermint cleans the pad up just fine if you're worried about odor. When it's so hot I wouldn't wear a shirt to bed- it's usually so hot that a liner gets just as sticky/annoying.

The other trick for those who hate liners but insist on a sheet- is to simply put the pad into the liner (or make a fitted sheet).

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Right. When I get to camp, I wipe down with a Sham-wow, making myself "clean". That allows more freedom, being less confined from a liner.
    +100

Sham-wow is multi-use and half (or less) of one is plenty. Wrung out, it is very lightweight and dries quickly.

Also agree with JB... just sleep on the air mat, it ain't that bad! Sometimes I think people just aren't tired enough, lol.

But as usual I'll add the disclaimer that I am — thankfully! — a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal in that regard... the rustling noises and stickiness don't bother me in the least.

I use a fitted sheet for my sleeping pad (neo-air) ... I have several quilts for different temperature ranges ... and sometimes add a liner to bridge the ranges between the quilts ... but I always have the sheet on the pad regardless.... I prefer not to use the liners because I WANT to control my "drafts" so that I don't get too warm, sweat, and then get chilled. (which is why I use the quilt rather than a bag to begin with.)

Journal Entries

If I slept nude my back would be the last thing I worried about sticking to the pad

I always sleep fully clothed and on a bare pad. Usually don't take my hiking clothes off at all between towns. Sometimes I take my pants off if they're kind of damp from sweat and I'm hot and itchy
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-06-2017 at 10:16.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    . . . I always sleep fully clothed and on a bare pad. Usually don't take my hiking clothes off at all between towns. . .
    At home, I can't stand wearing cloths of any kind to bed.

When hiking solo, I generally just empty my pockets and lay down on my mat, and pull my bag or quilt over me and go to sleep. Cloths against the slippery nylon of my pad, quilt and/or bag move without becoming a tangled mess (unlike inside sheets). Wearing cloths to bed also makes getting up to go pee or getting up and breaking camp much easier.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++