WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    If this were easy to dump on a tray and get something useful out of, I might give it a shot. .

slice it 3/8 thin and then cut them into 1/2 pieces and then dehydrate. I think they will become granolla worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    slice it 3/8 thin and then cut them into 1/2 pieces and then dehydrate. I think they will become granolla worthy.

So,Zelph,are you saying you think it would get flakey and chunky like granola? I've never had a dehydrator but I would think one could dehydrate to the point you want it and then stop-right? Looks like you could then dry it down to like a crispy piece of sweet melba toast.I'd try it if I had a dehydrator(would try it in the oven but might make a mess and I don't want to get in trouble with the Management.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    So,Zelph,are you saying you think it would get flakey and chunky like granola? I've never had a dehydrator but I would think one could dehydrate to the point you want it and then stop-right? Looks like you could then dry it down to like a crispy piece of sweet melba toast.I'd try it if I had a dehydrator(would try it in the oven but might make a mess and I don't want to get in trouble with the Management.)
    It has a lot of sticky molasses in it. It is steam baked in the can so that stickyness is going to remain to an extent. I don't have a dehydrator. I'm just going to let some dry out laying on a piece of paper towel. I'll turn the pieces over every few hours during the day as I walk by them :-)
    I don't think they will get crispy, I think somewhat like a granola bar chewyness. The raisins in it will add to the chewy texture as they dry a little. I say yes to dehydrating to the point that fits your liking.

This is how I cut up one piece of bread today so it will dry out:

PXL_20201216_233454972.jpg...click on the photo and then click on it again and then again to enlarge to see the texture.

This is what it looks like enlarged

Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 5.59.55 PM.png
    Last edited by zelph; 12-16-2020 at 20:01.

I'm thinking I will cut mine in about 5/8ths thick slabs in a ziplock bag.Don't know if I can spread pnut butter or cream cheese on it in the field without having a plate to work off of without making a mess.Note:I have been thru almost 2 cans of this stuff in a week.....

Images

Take a small paper plate for use inthe field.

Take a small paper plate for use inthe field.
    Thanks,I wonder who makes an ultralight plate that will stand up to trail abuse.I've thot about the lid off my coffee
    jug so I might give it a try.

Thanks,I wonder who makes an ultralight plate that will stand up to trail abuse.I've thot about the lid off my coffee
    I saw one or two people over the years that used a frisbee. One guy shared it with his dog. He would eat and then he would feed the dog in it and rinse it out for the next meal.

https://www.rei.com/product/116121/g...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks,everyone,for the plate ideas.For some reason I have always had a problem with food prep of any kind other than adding hot water to a bag.

Images

Thanks,everyone,for the plate ideas.For some reason I have always had a problem with food prep of any kind other than adding hot water to a bag.
    Cut it up before you leave home, store the cut pieces in a Gatoraide jar, works better than a peanut butter jar.

https://www.shoppigglywiggly.com/sho...n_lime/p/34522

Images

Today I opened the Christmas Day can

I took the container of cool whip out of the freezer and put one tablespoon full on each slice. Merry Chrismas!

PXL_20201225_205748142.jpg

I am likely taking some on an upcoming overnighter to Hilliard Falls on the FHT next week sometime.I do hate to open a whole can for just a couple slices though.

Images

Open a can tomorrow, have 2 slices for breakfast for the next few days. Save 2 slices for your overnighter

Images

Got 2 new Swiss Victorinox knives for the B&M. They are extremely sharp. I use the top of the can as a cutting guide for same thickness cuts.

Swiss knives and Swiss Miss hot chocolate and B&M with raisins for breakfast :-)

PXL_20210108_145705847.jpgPXL_20210108_145529604.jpgPXL_20210108_145011302.jpgPXL_20210108_144537140.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got 2 new Swiss Victorinox knives for the B&M. They are extremely sharp. I use the top of the can as a cutting guide for same thickness cuts.

Swiss knives and Swiss Miss hot chocolate and B&M with raisins for breakfast :-)

PXL_20210108_145705847.jpgPXL_20210108_145529604.jpgPXL_20210108_145011302.jpgPXL_20210108_144537140.jpg

Good One,Zelph.I like the way you think outside the box.However,I am avoiding my stash of the canned candy bread goodness because there's ingredients in there that react with all my clothes that makes them shrink for some reason.So it will stay on the shelf until warmer weather arrives and my activities pick up a little.....

Images

I burn off the calories when I shovel snow and walk down to the mail box Eating it has been justified

Getting to the mail box can be a challenge during foul weather.

I burn off the calories when I shovel snow and walk down to the mail box Eating it has been justified

Getting to the mail box can be a challenge during foul weather.

Snow? We had snow here in February of 1973.Nobody moved for just over 2 days until it all melted!I've never seen a snow shovel btw.

Images

I've never seen a snow shovel btw.
    You're living the good life

I was at the local Hannafords Store in North Conway NH. They had both types with and without raisins. I opened a can an sliced it up to freeze. I checked it several hours after putting it in the freezer and its can be eaten right out of the freezer. Its always a hassle trying to find calorie rich winter time hiking food and this seems to be a nice option.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++