WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Lightbulb Water Wing Pillow Project

I'm a side sleeper. I've read on another forum some folks use child size water wings as pillows. I purchased 3 on ebay to experiment with.

Has anyone out there modified water wings to meet their pillow needs? Thank you for your input

Journal Entries

I once put a water wing inside of a fleece zip pouch (from a drug store fleece travel blanket. Adding my extra clothes, raingear, and socks. water wing is about 1 oz if i recall correctly.

It made an awesome pillow. Soft against skin, cushy.

But i never actually took it hiking. Who can carry 3.5 oz extra for a pillow?

Point is, a lightweight fleece cover will help make it comfy
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-04-2017 at 09:25.

Images

I have tried it. I need a pillow to sleep, every time. I much prefer my Cocoon Air Core pillow. Roughly same weight.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Images

I have found the perfect shape pillow(thrift store find) but it weighs too much. I covered it with a mesh laundry bag that fits perfect. The curvature of it is perfect for my head. It stays put, no slipping out from under my head. It's easy to maneuver when turning over to my other side. It fits me perfect, that is why I'm on a quest to duplicate it in a blowup, lightweight roll up for compact storage pillow. I want nirvana sleeping comfort

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    . . . The curvature of it is perfect for my head. It stays put, no slipping out from under my head. It's easy to maneuver when turning over to my other side. It fits me perfect, that is why I'm on a quest to duplicate it in a blowup, lightweight roll up for compact storage pillow. I want nirvana sleeping comfort
    I may be that for a small fortune (still less than $50) you can have your dream.
    By far the best ultralight pillow that fits and stays put that I have found!

Length
    14.2 in/36 cm

Width
    10.2 in/26 cm

Height/Depth
    4.7 in/12 cm

Weight
    2.1 oz/60g

Stuffed Size
    2 x 2.8 in/5 x 7cm

Color
    Teal
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I have not, but going to keep this idea in mind.
    I have a nemo Fillo pillow, pretty comfy with the memory foam "topper" but on it's own it's a bit too thin...I'm also a side sleeper. It has bungees for attaching clothing or something to the underside...but honestly I just find the inflatable thing too noisy. I haven't completely given up on it....

Yes, I've been using a modified child's water wing as part of my pillow system for years. I saw the recommendation about using water wings here many years ago, so it wasn't my original idea. I cut the two in half. It was obvious to see where to cut after you inflate them. Both get put into my sleeping bag's stuff sack along with just a few spare clothing items on top of the water wings to provide some puffiness. The the right amount of softness, yet the shape of the water wings cradle my noggin. I am a side and back sleeper and have found this system to be way better than any other commercially available backpacking pillow. It's cheap and worth it so give it a try.

Images

This is what my pillow looks like with and without the mesh laundry bag cover. It weighs 17oz.

Size is 6x16x4

DSCF3685.JPGDSCF3686.JPG

I'm a side sleeper. I've read on another forum some folks use child size water wings as pillows. I purchased 3 on ebay to experiment with.

Has anyone out there modified water wings to meet their pillow needs? Thank you for your input

I blow it up and stuff it inside my clothes bag. Depending on the amount of clothes in the bag how large I need to blow it up. Works well with the Walmart 3 pack dry bags. I think the M size . I'm a side sleeper.

Thom

Images

This is what my pillow looks like with and without the mesh laundry bag cover. It weighs 17oz.

Size is 6x16x4

DSCF3685.JPGDSCF3686.JPG
    Ha! You want to know what that pillow is? In case you ever need another one, it is part of an infant insert for a car seat. Sometimes my nanny knowledge comes in handy.

I found blow up pillows to hard

Images

I know you specifically asked about DIY... but Massdrop has these regularly for $12-14. No real weight penalty(2oz) and I find it very usable. Less air, more air, fold it in half...

https://www.klymit.com/pillow-x.html

Note - Have has some other brands, but they always end up leaking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
    Ha! You want to know what that pillow is? In case you ever need another one, it is part of an infant insert for a car seat. Sometimes my nanny knowledge comes in handy.
    Thanks for that inside info nanny theinfamousj :-) Makes me feel younger to know that it fits me :-)

Got my water wings in the mail today. I cut 2 of them up and will try to configure a comfy arrangement and sleep on it tonight.

Thank you everyone for your input, it's encouraging :-)

Images

The conglomeration I put together yesterday came apart during the night as I slept on it

I put together another pillow today and will sleep on it tonight. Will show you it tomorrow.

size is 10x12x4 weighs 3.5oz which includes pillow case.
    Last edited by zelph; 09-06-2017 at 13:31.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

LOVE the character selection!

Images

My grand children will snatch it up once they see it :-)

Hello Kitty Deluxe arm bands were rated the best out there. Brand name "Intex".

https://www.intexcorp.com/

Images

Last nights sleep with it was not great. Will have to inflate more and maybe make a modification.

zip up your fleece sweater and stuff your clothes inside. fold over the bottom n neck so the stuffing doesnt come out n you will sleep like a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post
    zip up your fleece sweater and stuff your clothes inside. fold over the bottom n neck so the stuffing doesnt come out n you will sleep like a baby.
    And if I don’t carry any extra clothes or an extra fleece pull over?
    What I do carry is an Exped Air Pillow size medium. Guaranteed minimum 8 hours sleep every night.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++