WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Yep, I've met a few jerks on the trail that needed self validation. Some were thrus some were sectioners but none were trail maintainers. Always say thank you.

I hiked weekends and sections of the southern AT for 10 years. Like many people, I had a fascination with thru hikers and relished getting to talk with them upon the few times I ran into them on the trail. The reality is that I was not an exception. For the ten years I did short term hikes, I would come back to work and talk about my days in the woods. People would listen for a couple minutes and then want to talk about youth sports or yard care. Most folks that don't hike do not really care that you spend a few days in the woods walking and sleeping on the ground.

After coming home from my thru, I have friends, neighbors and people I hardly know seek me out to congratulate me on the "accomplishment". I rarely bring it up, but so many people are just intrigued by the thought of spending months in the woods and hiking over 2000 miles. I find myself getting question after question about my hike. I'm the same guy I was (just a few pounds lighter) when I was hiking on weekends. Most of what I needed to know, I learned from those weekend/section hikes and I sadly have to admit, from this site.

Being an early starter, I can honestly say I never saw a drunk thru hiker, or any thru hiker being an ass. I saw a few losers, who were not thru hikers who were moving on the trail and using the trail culture to benefit their laziness and slothful lifestyle. I don't doubt there are some bad behaviors within the bubble. As a thru, I saw several Lashers and section hikers that knew more than I did and were just better hikers. I also saw some novices who would tested my patience. As a NOBO, by the time we got to Maryland and had to deal with the Flippers and got to ME and had to start dealing with the SOBO's, we were focused on our own group and our shared focus on finishing. While section hikers sometimes could add value by giving information about sections we were about to hike, their perspective was always suspect. The closer I got to Katahdin, the less I asked SOBO's for any information at all. I just wished them luck and admired how well they smelled.

Images

Whenever I meet a thru-hiker as a section hiker, I always dread the inevitable question where I have to indicate I'm a section hiker. I'm always hoping the revelation will not change the mood of the conversations, but so many times it does to my disappointment. Many thru-hikers are really missing out on some great friendships, conversations, etc. when they just wholesale write-off section/day hikers. Any trail time is good time.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carl7 View Post
    Whenever I meet a thru-hiker as a section hiker, I always dread the inevitable question where I have to indicate I'm a section hiker. I'm always hoping the revelation will not change the mood of the conversations, but so many times it does to my disappointment. Many thru-hikers are really missing out on some great friendships, conversations, etc. when they just wholesale write-off section/day hikers. Any trail time is good time.
    Birds of a feather, flock together.

Even on shorter trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl7 View Post

I haven't noticed being "written off". Your hiking cred doesn't mean all that much to the thru hikers you meet.

Understand that thru hikers share a common quest, have been following each other for weeks or months, share the same storms, weird hostel stories, trail personalities, etc. Doesn't matter if you're Colin Fletcher or Andy Skurka, it still doesn't make you part of that community.

I've seen this from both sides. At camp, it's not a problem. We understand each other.

It's all about the walk, matters not where it takes place or how long it takes to get there.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I noticed some thru-hikers weren't eager to let section hikers or weekend warriors into their cliques. Not all of course. But it happened numerous times at shelters, viewpoints, in towns--even at Trail Days.

The opposite didn't seem to be as true. Most non-thrus I encountered treated everyone about the same.

Like elsewhere in life, there is a pecking order on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    We're all Section Hikers. Some sections are just longer than others.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I noticed some thru-hikers weren't eager to let section hikers or weekend warriors into their cliques. Not all of course. But it happened numerous times at shelters, viewpoints, in towns--even at Trail Days.
    Interesting you say that.... I section hiked this year and met a great group of people who embraced me as Tramily! Rock on The Jamison Crew!!!!!

They told me about one of their "members" - a young lady who had to get off the trail somewhere before HF to help a parent. When that gal got back on the trail around HF area, Thru hiker groups did not accept her... She ended up upping her mileage - and hiked 20 plus mile days for weeks in a row until she met up with her original crew 0 and had tears of joy when she saw them.

Oddly enough, I met her just before she caught up to them, and we got along great! Sadly, there are clicks on the AT. Please, try to "be nice." to all.....

That's not a hiking problem but a social problem

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post

The opposite didn't seem to be as true. Most non-thrus I encountered treated everyone about the same.

Like elsewhere in life, there is a pecking order on the AT.
    Sometimes thru hikers won't even let other thru hikers into their cliques. BTDT. It's one of the reasons I quit my attempted thru, way back when.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Sometimes thru hikers won't even let other thru hikers into their cliques. BTDT. It's one of the reasons I quit my attempted thru, way back when.

But if you let everyone in then it's not a clique anymore!

Here's a way not to care... Out hike them , you never see them again.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-06-2017 at 09:36.

Journal Entries

I think the splitting of people into imaginary groups is ridiculous. Everyone who hits the trail is lucky to be out there. Every through hiker is a broken ankle from being a "section hiker" and every one of us are one cancer diagnosis or car accident from the grave. Arrogance is one of the worst of human failings and I believe this entire subject is based off of it.

I'm just a hiker. Do people really get torqued about classification?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    I'm just a hiker. Do people really get torqued about classification?
    Exactly. I think it must depend on the reason you are hiking. If its for the social aspect, then yeah I guess the popularity contest would affect your hike directly. If its about the woods and walking and listening to your own mind ... you wouldn't even notice the it at all, and if you did notice, you wouldn't care at all.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Section hikers should only be allowed to hike during the hurricane season
    Better yet, limit access to the AT to US citizens only from February to November. After all, it's a national scenic trail that we pay for with tax dollars. (I'm kidding, TTT - hopefully you are too...)

I could relate all sorts of stories about these thru hiker cliques. They form, re-form and dissolve in a heartbeat. Very few last the length of the trail, most not even a few hundred miles. They might be just a pair of hikers or a large group. Hikers travel together as long as they can or as long as the group or partner meets their needs, goals, hiking style, mileage, etc.

Mostly they're not even formed consciously... it's just a matter of seeing the same people again, night after night, for days on end at breaks, viewpoints, road crossings, trail junctions, etc. Suddenly someone you've been seeing for a while doesn't appear any more -- either forged ahead, dropped back, or jumped off, for a day or two, or forever. Suddenly someone appears whom you've never met before, just catching up, or perhaps falling back, for whatever reason.

The cliques are fleeting and short-lived, but while they last, the bond is strong, and can't really be shared that much with section hikers. It's not that section hikers are disrespected, more that the thrus are On Their Own Journey at the moment.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEXMAN View Post
    1. They support hostels by paying full price and scheduling their stays
    2. They support a lot of shuttle services
    3. They leave a lot food in hiker boxes
    4. They have knowledge of sections you may have not completed yet
    5. They can give insight to why people get off the trail
    6. Perserverence over many set backs
    7. Experience
    8. Many also play trail angel at the end of their hike with rides etc.
    9. They love the trail
    10. They are nice people
    Cool post. In my personal experience (10 years of sectioning so far):
    1. Yes, gotta have some cash to section and I don't mind using it
    2. Lordy do I know this one...spent lots of money on shuttles, and appreciate the service.
    3. Yep.
    4. Yep, and not just the sections but often times the surrounding area (i.e. what's in town, places to eat and stay, etc.).
    5. Seen a lot of this over the years.
    6. This is probably the biggest one when stretching doing the whole AT out over many years...life often "gets in the way".
    7. Often times in many differing weather conditions and things of that nature (not just the experience from one season).
    8. Gave several rides on my last hike...even gave a dog a ride.
    9. Most of the time...sometimes it sucks
    10. In general most sectioners I have met really love to hike, and aren't out there just to finish the AT.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Interesting you say that.... I section hiked this year and met a great group of people who embraced me as Tramily! Rock on The Jamison Crew!!!!!

They told me about one of their "members" - a young lady who had to get off the trail somewhere before HF to help a parent. When that gal got back on the trail around HF area, Thru hiker groups did not accept her... She ended up upping her mileage - and hiked 20 plus mile days for weeks in a row until she met up with her original crew 0 and had tears of joy when she saw them.

Oddly enough, I met her just before she caught up to them, and we got along great! Sadly, there are clicks on the AT. Please, try to "be nice." to all.....
    The way I look at it, I'm a clique of one.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEXMAN View Post
    Actually I was being serious. As a failed thru hiker who has completed 2026 miles so far, my point of view is every section hiker isn't a novice but we get stereotyped as novices .... that's why I always grow a 2 week beard before I get to the trail ...then I get more trail cred
    Ha ha, I've noticed this with some thrus. My "trail cred" usually is established after about 2 days when I keep up with the same pack of thrus. Not sure if I'm going to be able to rely on this much longer though as I'm slowing down in my "old age".
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++