WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

"Making Florida safe again"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Not the water
    Trees down is problem
    Trail can be impassable
    I remember being on trail in MA a week after hurricane Irene struck. All the Sobos were shuttling down because VT was essentially impassible due to downed trees and washed out crossings.

To my great surprise, the many blowdowns in MA had already been cleared by the time I got there. To this day I have no idea how the MA maintainers did so much work in a single week.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Irma is a rude party crasher. I wish we could ignore her, but mostly I wish that she would turn east and go for a long, northward swim in the Atlantic until she tires into oblivion. It COULD happen, y'know.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Well, it looks like the AT will be spared for the most part. Some of it will likely end up here in NE eventually as it moves up the Ohio river valley.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I remember being on trail in MA a week after hurricane Irene struck. All the Sobos were shuttling down because VT was essentially impassible due to downed trees and washed out crossings.

To my great surprise, the many blowdowns in MA had already been cleared by the time I got there. To this day I have no idea how the MA maintainers did so much work in a single week.
    My hunting lease has a 3 mile loop atv trail on perimeter.
    After a hurricane 15 yrs ago or so, it took us 3 weekends - 6 full days- of 10-12 people working with chainsaws and atv winches, and a few tractors to get it passable. Probably 150-200 or so trees down on the trail, some that required big saws because the root ball of tree was next to trail and it toppled onto it. 36-48" diameter. Big trees.

Hurricanes absolutely destroy trails.

Gotta love the media...

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    A weather analyst was discussing the storm with a radio host. He pointed out that both the Tampa Bay area and Miami could flood out just like New Orleans and Houston, depending on the track of the storm. He attributed this to inadequate and out-of-date hurricane preparations.
    Wrong. I was informed by a landscaper yesterday who heard it from a guy that certain world governments to go unnamed (Russia) can fire a laser by satellite into the ocean thereby causing a hurricane and then lead them likes dogs on leashes into target cities. They are in league with the richest 1% of America's power elites, corporations, the Illuminati, Skull and Bones, and the CIA in an elaborate profit scheme that centers around how insurance companies pay out where large scale disasters occur, where relief is delivered, taxes, tax breaks, funding, donations, blah, etc., etc. Which seems more realistic when you think about it.

Perhaps not as much issue with the MA section?

In terms of the more "populated" areas where damage was more severe, it seemed to be areas in the NY Catskills/Schoharie Valley and then the Adirondacks, plus areas in VT like Wilmington, which is not far from the trail - don't remember hearing much about areas in MA (but that could just be the news stations covering the worst spots, since there were several of those)?

Images

Sucker. All of that is just disinformation to keep you from suspecting our reptilian overlords.
    Horse flies suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Curious G View Post
    Wrong. I was informed by a landscaper yesterday who heard it from a guy that certain world governments to go unnamed (Russia) can fire a laser by satellite into the ocean thereby causing a hurricane and then lead them likes dogs on leashes into target cities. They are in league with the richest 1% of America's power elites, corporations, the Illuminati, Skull and Bones, and the CIA in an elaborate profit scheme that centers around how insurance companies pay out where large scale disasters occur, where relief is delivered, taxes, tax breaks, funding, donations, blah, etc., etc. Which seems more realistic when you think about it.
    Sucker. All of that is just disinformation to keep you from suspecting our reptilian overlords.

Reposted because I couldn't figure out how to edit.
    Horse flies suck.

Well the professional weather prognosticators and turd-casters on TV have managed to miss it again. They were hoping for mayhem and catastrophe and got nothing for their money. Right now, on the weather channel, they are scrambling to explain why the anticipated destruction is not occurring. One weatherman a few minutes ago still would not throw in the towel and was so bold to exclaim that "it (massive destruction) was right around the corner and could happen at any minute."

Lesson to remember ... when it comes to Atlantic coast hurricanes, listen to the old timers that have a few scores (that's 20 years for you millennials) of hurricane experience under their belt. I've been reading hurricanes since Helene and Alma, and Ella in 1958. Never was any reason (for me) to evacuate for a single one over the years (except maybe Dora in 1964). I said very early this past week that Irma would, most likely, make a westerly turn and head up the west coast of Florida and gradually dissipate as it traveled northward. Guess who was right? My yankee friends told me I was silly to stay and hastily evacuated the area. "Go ahead," I said. "I'll keep an eye on your property until you get back." I drove by the interstate a couple of days ago and I don't think there has been so many yankees fleeing since Bull Run, or maybe Vicksburg. Sad. All over media hyping an unfounded catastrophic event.

The media hypes these hurricanes to get people to evacuate and move out. They want footage of empty grocery store shelves, backed up interstates, lines at gas stations, babies crying, congested evacuation shelters, and Coopers Hawks in taxis. That, my friends, means $$$ to the networks. Sad, but true.

So, here I am again, out on the coastal marshes by myself, on the hallowed grounds of the deep South. It's really kind of quiet and nice to be alone like this; however, short-lived. By next Tuesday the transplants will, once again, start returning and talking loudly about how they barely escaped death. I'll just nod my head and turn a deaf ear.

I take it you moved from Georgia, then?

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    Well the professional weather prognosticators and turd-casters on TV have managed to miss it again. They were hoping for mayhem and catastrophe and got nothing for their money. Right now, on the weather channel, they are scrambling to explain why the anticipated destruction is not occurring. One weatherman a few minutes ago still would not throw in the towel and was so bold to exclaim that "it (massive destruction) was right around the corner and could happen at any minute."

Lesson to remember ... when it comes to Atlantic coast hurricanes, listen to the old timers that have a few scores (that's 20 years for you millennials) of hurricane experience under their belt. I've been reading hurricanes since Helene and Alma, and Ella in 1958. Never was any reason (for me) to evacuate for a single one over the years (except maybe Dora in 1964). I said very early this past week that Irma would, most likely, make a westerly turn and head up the west coast of Florida and gradually dissipate as it traveled northward. Guess who was right? My yankee friends told me I was silly to stay and hastily evacuated the area. "Go ahead," I said. "I'll keep an eye on your property until you get back." I drove by the interstate a couple of days ago and I don't think there has been so many yankees fleeing since Bull Run, or maybe Vicksburg. Sad. All over media hyping an unfounded catastrophic event.

The media hypes these hurricanes to get people to evacuate and move out. They want footage of empty grocery store shelves, backed up interstates, lines at gas stations, babies crying, congested evacuation shelters, and Coopers Hawks in taxis. That, my friends, means $$$ to the networks. Sad, but true.

So, here I am again, out on the coastal marshes by myself, on the hallowed grounds of the deep South. It's really kind of quiet and nice to be alone like this; however, short-lived. By next Tuesday the transplants will, once again, start returning and talking loudly about how they barely escaped death. I'll just nod my head and turn a deaf ear.

SEVERE DAMAGE at the YUPPY Club down from my house...Atlantic Beach Country Club....

I remember being on trail in MA a week after hurricane Irene struck. All the Sobos were shuttling down because VT was essentially impassible due to downed trees and washed out crossings.To my great surprise, the many blowdowns in MA had already been cleared by the time I got there. To this day I have no idea how the MA maintainers did so much work in a single week.
    Irene did major damage in Vermont, however. Mostly due to flooding and several rivers running over their banks. Downtown Brattleboro was underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post

I hope yur car don't start

Yeah, this is just totally normal...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Yeah, this is just totally normal...
    yup, just a bunch of sensational TV for dough.

Nothing to see here, obviously...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Nothing to see here, obviously...

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++