WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Woman's 0 Degree Down?

I am not a woman, as I hope many of you are aware, but my sister is. She's on the forum but never visits it. We're looking for a 0 Degree Down for her. She's 5'5" and we're looking to add a potential fleece liner to it as well. Budget is $200 MAX because that'd be pushing it. She'll have my Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Sleeping Pad, after I get my new sleeping pad. Sleeping bag is a must, no quilts. Light weight if possible, she can't carry much. She would also have a wool blanket above and something to go under the sleeping pad.

Suggestions needed, and if you've got experience with it, even better. I'm looking for sleeping bag only. A 5 pound weight limit is fine, she wouldn't be packing in the shelter or anything real heavy.

Winter hiking? Why a zero degree bag? Wool blankets are heavy They will compress the down and make her colder.

Because any other lower limit bag, that we've checked, is far above the price range. And my personal experience with a wool blanket, it's kept me warmer than without.

Hyke & Byke Snowmass 0° bag is $149.99, but then you can use discount code 15ONUS at their web site for $15 off. That's a unisex bag, which means it's probably not at true 0° bag for women, but you'll have $65 left of your $200 budget for a thick fleece blanket (which won't compress the down nearly as much as wool).

Why can't you move your price range? What is a zero degree bag for you, won't be for her. It will be more like a 20 degree bag. It would be more efficient to get a beefier bag and ditch the wool blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenul View Post
    I am not a woman, as I hope many of you are aware, but my sister is. She's on the forum but never visits it. We're looking for a 0 Degree Down for her. She's 5'5" and we're looking to add a potential fleece liner to it as well. Budget is $200 MAX because that'd be pushing it. She'll have my Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Sleeping Pad, after I get my new sleeping pad. Sleeping bag is a must, no quilts. Light weight if possible, she can't carry much. She would also have a wool blanket above and something to go under the sleeping pad.

Suggestions needed, and if you've got experience with it, even better. I'm looking for sleeping bag only. A 5 pound weight limit is fine, she wouldn't be packing in the shelter or anything real heavy.
    As of today, you can find a Kelty Cosmic Down 0F bag for $164.96 at (can we mention retailers? I'm not affiliated with them) - backcountry dot com. 4 lbs 3 oz. 600 fill power dri down. That's a sale, not a normal price.

Should you run into trouble finding a bag that meets your specs without the benefits of a sale price, consider buying used on geartrade or craigslist. Build in the cost and time of washing and drying it with all the careful technique needed for down bags. [or trust that the seller washed it]

In general there is a tradeoff between fill power (correlates with weight) and price, for any given temperature rating. The fact that you can allow for up to 5 lbs of bag is helpful in meeting your price goal.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Kelty Cosmic Down 0F at $164.96 is listed as 4lb 3oz.
    But if you're willing to go over budget by $10, the Marmot Never Summer 0F at $209.21 is listed as 3lb 1oz.
    Campmor has a couple of bags available that are 0F below $200 (but their weight will be more in line with the Kelty mentioned above).
    One example: Mountain Hardware Women's Hotbed 0F at $179.98 is listed as 3lb 13oz.

I would suggest also looking at what Campsaver.com has to offer...(I'd provide links but their website seems a bit hosed right now... isn't formatting correctly or something for me)
    On my phone, I could find a Mountain Hardward Lamina Z Blaze -15F at $194.21 is listed as 4lb 9oz (note, this is synthetic and not down).

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Why can't you move your price range?
    Say that out loud a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenul View Post

I just spent a crapload of hours researching sleeping bags and I will tell you this. You will be extremely lucky to find a bag that will keep you comfortable at 0*. You are going to have to shell out a lot more than $200 (unless you are willing to carry the extra weight). I settled for the Marmot Sawtooth 15. I'd be a fool to think it will keep me warm on a 15* night. Maybe keep me alive, but not let me get a good night's sleep. I'm thinking I could get decent sleep down to 28-32*. I also picked up a liner that is supposed to give another 15* of insulation, but I haven't tried it out yet. Good luck and Happy Trails.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

So she'd like, Warm, Lightweight, under $200 and not a quilt.

i agree with elgibe. It would be more efficient to get a beefier bag and ditch the wool blanket.

Maybe try eBay? I found a Big Agnes Elsie 15 degree bag for about $60 last year. It was a closeout deal - probably a return because it only fit up to a certain height. It was brand new, but about half the price of what it would have cost. It is 3lbs 6 oz. I can use it all seasons - if it's too hot just use it to lay on. I do have a liner too, so that helps with the ranges in temperatures that I can use it at. Plus, it keeps the sleeping bag cleaner. Not sure what you mean by she can't carry much - because a 5 lb sleeping bag is really heavy when you think about what else you have to carry. I'm 5'3 and carry up to 35 lbs fully loaded. I try to keep it at the 30 lb range. I also have back issues. So, whatever the fullest load is she can carry has to include all of her essentials. I just can't afford super light weight gear at the moment otherwise, if she can or you can - maybe look into a higher price point for lighter gear options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++