WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Massachusetts section hike in October

I'd like to hike Massachusetts this October starting about Oct 14. Since the weather might be pretty cold I am thinking of doing day hikes with shuttles. Like to do abut 15 miles a day. Any advice on this plan? Thanks.

Sure it possible. See the ATC list for shuttle providers, plenty of road crossings to start and end at. Temps will be chilly, but not cold every day. Nights will dip below freezing on occasion, but not every night. Upper Goose Pond Cabin will close on October 22nd (last stay on the 21st). Plenty of tenting options near the cabin available all year round. No bugs, little mud.

Cosmo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

What is your definition of "pretty cold?" My advice would be to camp at night, that is my absolute favorite time of year to camp in CT and MA. Temperatures are normally in the 60's - 30's with the occasional night where it might dip into the 20's, it is normal to see frost but not snow and it makes for cool mornings and mild afternoons.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If you really do want a shuttle, I will mention that Dave Ackerson shuttles out of North Adams, MA and I highly recommend him. His contact info is below:

Whiteblaze also has an excelleny list of A.T. shuttle providers. The link is below.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/shuttles-2016.php
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Thanks for the advice!

++ New Posts ++