WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Segment 22 - Any ability to drive in

Doing dome hiking on segment 22, and curious if any of the 4 wheel roads relatively good for vehicles such as Highlander... perfect world would like to do a 5-6 mile hike to vehicle then finish 2nd day (as opposed to backpack). I see a county road 56 but no idea if its easily drivable, if so it would be perfect. I know we could backpack and many do, but person Im hiking with has some back issues which dont bother him with lighter daypack but much tougher on him with full backpack.

Also, is road that comes up to end of segment 22/beginning of 23 passable. Even if we did backpack that would be our exit...

Thanks for any info!

Images

Default driving 22

We drove up to the yurt in section 22 last year from Lake City. We took an old 4x4 Tahoe and made the trip with no problem, although it was rough in places. I would not take a nice car up there. Spectacular trip for sure. ANGEL APPLE

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manzana View Post
    We drove up to the yurt in section 22 last year from Lake City. We took an old 4x4 Tahoe and made the trip with no problem, although it was rough in places. I would not take a nice car up there. Spectacular trip for sure. ANGEL APPLE
    Thanks for the info. Just hoping to get about 5 miles in so we can split 5 miles and 12 miles over 2 days.

In the shadow of Segments 22 and 23 between Lake City & Silverton.

If you drive from Spring Creek Pass, there is a 4WD road that shares the trail for the first couple of miles before it splits south from the trail. It rejoins the trail on the west side of Jarosa Mesa for a couple miles. It can be confusing in the area because of multiple 4WD roads and trails so having the Guthook App is helpful. The other way to drive in is up Sawtooth Road (very rough road) which also gets you to the west side of Jarosa Mesa below Tower Mountain (Antennas). You can also loop around on the road and get to the CT Yurt area (mile 8.7) from the road west of Jarosa Mesa.

++ New Posts ++