WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: 2018 sobo lash

Default 2018 sobo lash

This Oct. I will reach PA/NJ Line. It has taken 10+ years of section hiking. NOW I've got my kitchen-pass and have decided to complete the AT with one big LASH. SO... Without any restrictions WHAT WOULD BE THE IDEAL APPROACH?

I am incline to think going SOBO starting in mid-August 2018 is my first pick. This to avoid temp/hum in mid-Atlantic states and the bugs in Maine. Going Southbound from Maine to PA should provide more Fall colors and temps.

Can you think of 2 1/2 months that might be a better choice. And I really don't care which direction I go. Sooner I make up my mind the sooner I can begin the logistics.... lots of planning as I'm accustomed to using mail drops.

Thanks for for any suggestions. I have used WB so much over the past decade for information and help.

So long as you can handle Maine right off and can cope with the possible weather extremes from mid September on, it's a good plan. Just make sure your in really good shape before you start, like doing a lot of hiking for at least the month prior.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

As a sobo, the Birches at Baxter will be unavailable to you. August is high season in Baxter, you'll need to get reservations. I always suggest sobos stay two nights, the days before and after their climb. I'll write a 2018 version after Baxter's season ends:
    The Sobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2017
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    So long as you can handle Maine right off and can cope with the possible weather extremes from mid September on, it's a good plan. Just make sure your in really good shape before you start, like doing a lot of hiking for at least the month prior.
    Sees lots of your comments... thanks for the response. I am somewhat intimidated but the prospect of Maine/NH but I see lots of folks do it... even those my age. I am in great shape but I will be 66 so it is somewhat subjective. Every year for the past ten have been a real physical test... I've never came back and said it was an easy hump.... they are ALL tough as you age... the verticals stop me in my tracks and I just need to really take my time.

You mentioned weather extremes for Sept. on... I'm hoping to maybe be out of Maine/NH within six weeks... the end of September ???? I could start earlier in August... I have no restrictions... what do you suggest? Living at the beach doesn't allow for any hiking but I'm very committed to working out; however.... I DEFINATELY know that it is NOT the same... my philosophy is to hit the trail in the best shape I can be in. The last several sections hikes from Shenandoah to PA I have averaged 15+ miles with a few 20's thrown in... but honestly those are high mileage for a man my age and I'd rather do less.... which I will have no choice in Maine/NH.... thanks again... happy trails

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    As a sobo, the Birches at Baxter will be unavailable to you. August is high season in Baxter, you'll need to get reservations. I always suggest sobos stay two nights, the days before and after their climb. I'll write a 2018 version after Baxter's season ends:
    The Sobo’s guide to Baxter and Katahdin for 2017
    Thanks Teej.... read your guide last night. Logistically it seems a bit overwhelming but like most things.... it will all work out but I have lived by the principle of PPPPP... thanks.

++ New Posts ++