WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Siestita View Post
    At home I toast pieces of multigrain bread to use to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Those work well as snack food to consume during the first several days of a trip. And, store brand granola bars or other snack bars sometimes cost much less, per ounce, than do Cliff Bars and so-called "energy bars".
    What's their calorie count per ounce?

I like the recipes in Feed Zone Portables by Skratch Labs...tasty and nutritious portable food.

Usually hit the Costco snack section and stay away form the fancy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    For the best jerky EVER, and at a pretty decent price, try one of the offerings from Luther's Smokehouse. It's the real deal, not the recycled car tire crappy grocery store jerky. NONE of that is good. No, not KRAVE, or Jack Links, or any other brand you'll find on the grocer's shelf, or even at Jerky Outlet. Luther's Smokehouse is the real deal, 100% beef, made the old fashioned way.

About three years ago I was out in the mountains with some yankee friends during which, at one point, we stopped for a quick snack. I broke out the Luther's and offered it up. After one bite, and as the beautifully seasoned sirloin began attacking their taste buds, you could see the scales fall off their city-slicker eyeballs. They had never in their life realized the the true taste of quality beef jerky. REAL beef jerky. The way jerky was meant to be. Very bitable, not leathery, with a strong taste of quality beef, seasoned to perfection. Never a chemically aftertaste as in most all store-bought jerky. Long-story-short they are all now Luther's converts and won't touch the store-bought junk.

Personally, I like their HOT beef jerky, rather than their MILD version. It's actually not "hot" at all .... it's simply more flavorful, seasoned with just a bit more black pepper than the mild version. Of course, skinny-legged-jean-wearing metro-sexuals, who are afraid to eat a cow, might opt for the turkey jerky. Whatever. That's not for me.

You can also opt for the traditional jerky strips, or the "popcorn" sized jerky. I like both. The popcorn-sized jerky simply means that, for convenience, the jerky is already broken up into bite-sized pieces.

www.jerkyusa.com

You can thank me later.
    ****, all jeans are skinny jeans when I stuff my big arse in them! I'll have to give the Luther's a try...I do love the Krave chili lime vs other off the shelf store bought....

PS the link didn't work....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    What's their calorie count per ounce?
    I ended up doing the math on this - not bad, if you google random recipes it comes out to 1 pb&j sandwich weighing 4oz, and having 420 cal. So > 100 per ounce. Not terrible, but not very dense.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    honestly, most snack foods are not cheap. but munch away
    Thats why little debbie oatmeal pies
    2040 cal in box o 12

Hard to beat 1100 cal/$, except by straight vegetable oil

Fudge brownies
    1680 cal/ box
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 09-04-2017 at 07:15.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    ...Hard to beat 1100 cal/$, except by straight vegetable oil....
    I just checked that against gasoline. It surprised me to find it's about the same calories per gallon (31,000+/-). Gasoline is cheaper right now. Walmart's veg oil is almost $5/gal.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I just checked that against gasoline. It surprised me to find it's about the same calories per gallon (31,000+/-). Gasoline is cheaper right now. Walmart's veg oil is almost $5/gal.
    Diesel cars can run on waste vegetable oil. It was a cheap fuel source for some to get used cooking oil from restaurants until they started charging for it. I understand exhaust smells like french fries.

I buy dried figs, raisins, cranberries, roasted shelled peanuts, almonds, walnuts in bulk.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Go to Walmart the day after Halloween. Lots of snacks on sale. Throw em in a freezer and they are good for a year.

Remember GORP Good Old Raisins and Peanuts.

For some bizarre reason I like adding Good and Plenty candy into my gorp. Walmart sells the movie size boxes of candy like that for cheap. Hard to bear Giardellis chocolate baking chips.
    Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Yep. Any holiday really. Walmart, Target, CVS & Walgreens. All those places have huge holiday candy displays and they slash prices the day after the holiday.
    Just to note - Target has (in the past couple years) only done 30% off the day after the holiday on edible items (such as the candy you were likely thinking of) - so that may not be the best place to go, unless you wait a week or so for the better discounts (and then take the trade off of less options left).

No, just save up and buy the best food possible. Avoid sugar and simple carbs ("carbage).

Your hiking creates a lot of inflammation, and adding inflammatory snacks to the diet sets you up for problems. Eat a nutritious anti-inflammatory diet, mainly protein and fat. It also satiates you and avoids problems with "hiker hunger" caused by carb crashes.

Remember that sugar is not food, it is the energy removed from real food. It has no nutrients, is highly addictive, and there is no dietary need for it. Plus it rots your teeth.

Leonidas

Fritos regular or Scoops. 160 calories per 10 scoops.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    That's a good one, edible even if pulverized, can even be added to other meals WHEN pulverized, and they make good fire starters.

That's a good one, edible even if pulverized, can even be added to other meals WHEN pulverized, and they make good fire starters.
    Also not the usual long list of food chemistry products. Fritos are corn cooked in corn oil, and salt. Those are the only ingredients.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Also not the usual long list of food chemistry products. Fritos are corn cooked in corn oil, and salt. Those are the only ingredients.
    I like these for both mentioned reasons. No more pringles for me!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    These are an essential ingredient in many of my trail recipes. Sucks without them.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Go to Walmart the day after Halloween. Lots of snacks on sale. Throw em in a freezer and they are good for a year.
    Remember GORP Good Old Raisins and Peanuts. For some bizarre reason I like adding Good and Plenty candy into my gorp. Walmart sells the movie size boxes of candy like that for cheap. Hard to bear Giardellis chocolate baking chips.
    Good and Plenty is pretty shelf stable and might help counteract raisins in the gut. YMMV for sure on balancing vs. raisins for loosening vs. binding effect. 5# bag between $16/lb or $18/lb between Amazon and Walmart.

As for chocolate in a trail mix, I like Hershey-ets but they are tough to find. Also, its candy shell is slightly more melt-y than Good & Plenty. 5# bag is $24 at an Amazon reseller.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Fig Newton knock-offs
    Also a great idea - the goo holds them together, even if they get flattened you can make a sort of ball out of the remains and eat it that way. Plus fiber.

I watch the stores for protein bars to be on clearance (meaning under 75 cents per 15-gram bar). I watch for jerky to be on sale. I like to pay no more than $1 per ounce... If you are day/weekend hiking or at the beginning of a hike, bring hard boiled eggs. They last a day or two if the shell isn't broken. Cheese is another good one for two to three days out. I make my own GORP... another high protein snack!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++