WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Aqua Mira and gut bacteria

Howdy,

So I was on trail a couple weeks ago when an Irish woman came to the shelter where I was eating my dinner. She had apparently never seen Aqua Mira before, so she asked me all about it and I explained how it worked. Then she asked, "But if you put it in your water to kill the bacteria, and then you drink the water, doesn't it kill the (good) bacteria in your gut?"

I had honestly never given that a moment's thought.

Does it?

I know I could ask Aqua Mira, but I would expect some corporate white-washing from them. I'm hoping someone here has science from chemical/medical/public works experience that's relevant.

Thanks.

Doesn't the wait period give the reaction time to run it's course?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Wow, our culture has progress pretty far. Dis the greedy corporations and trust the "experts" on the internet.

BTW the same compound is used in public water systems, so it's ok because the guberment approved it. Ask your congress person, they'll give you the straight skinny.

Toons. What are you going to do?
    Did you ask the Irish lady what happens to the good bacteria when you toss down a shot of Jameson?
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

In short, no.

Aqua Mira works by being an oxidant. It'll pretty much destroy anything organic until it's consumed.

In your water, assuming that you didn't start out with really turbid stuff, there is very little organic matter, and some of it is the nasties that you don't want to drink.

As soon as it hits your gut, there's enough organic matter around that it'll pretty much be gone in seconds to minutes, and there will be plenty of your gut bacteria left over.

It's not like antibiotics, which are specific poisons to bacteria, and which pretty much stick around until either your liver destroys them or you excrete them. Those can indeed mess up your gut flora.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Aqua Mira works by being an oxidant. It'll pretty much destroy anything organic until it's consumed. As soon as it hits your gut, there's enough organic matter around that it'll pretty much be gone in seconds to minutes, and there will be plenty of your gut bacteria left over.
    So it doesn't affect the gut bacteria because it gets "used up" on all the other organics it first encounters in your digestive tract?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but doesn't it then depend on quantity of food in your system/amount of treated water drunk in X amount of time? If you use Aqua Mira for 90% of your water drunk over a 3-6 month period (assuming there's some municipal water from time to time), you're bound to consume during periods of an empty stomach, diarrhea, excessive thirst, etc.

I wouldn't assume ideal conditions, especially on a prolonged backpacking trip. So perhaps I should alter my question a little by asking if Aqua Mira *could* damage gut bacteria?

Like I said. Toons. What can you do with them?
    There's no doubt in my mind that the FDA had some input prior to the product being offered for sale to an unknowing public.
    Wayne

My personal observation is that Iodine had gastric effects. Without TMI, loose as a goose is pretty good description.:rolleyes Others I talked to had the same issues. I and others switched to AQ and the issues went away.

You know what will really mess up your gut?
    Giardia.
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brian.spigel View Post
    So it doesn't affect the gut bacteria because it gets "used up" on all the other organics it first encounters in your digestive tract?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but doesn't it then depend on quantity of food in your system/amount of treated water drunk in X amount of time? If you use Aqua Mira for 90% of your water drunk over a 3-6 month period (assuming there's some municipal water from time to time), you're bound to consume during periods of an empty stomach, diarrhea, excessive thirst, etc.

I wouldn't assume ideal conditions, especially on a prolonged backpacking trip. So perhaps I should alter my question a little by asking if Aqua Mira *could* damage gut bacteria?
    I'm not assuming ideal conditions. You're likely getting the same stuff from your water tap, unless you're drinking from a home well. Lots of municipal water systems use chlorine dioxide, or mixed oxidants. I strongly suspect that your gastric mucus alone is enough organic material to reduce all the chlorine dioxide to chloride.

If you want to be sure, after you've given the Aqua Mira the full contact time, throw in a pinch of powdered lemonade mix. There's enough citrate and Vitamin C in there to neutralize the oxidants - that's why it kills the taste of iodine- or chlorine-based treatments. DO NOT DO THIS without giving it the full contact time, because then it'll be ineffective at killing the nasties.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

After a thru-hike, I always assumed that some but not all good gut bacteria was gone and some yogurt or probiotics might be a good idea. Beyond that, I don't think about it. It's been my water treatment of choice since 2009.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

And what about bleach.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries

Am creates 4 ppm clo2
    In a liter, thats......wait for it...0.004 g.
    4 mg.

If you drank enough to hurt you....no doubt it would do bad things. But your gastric juices alone are enough to consume it.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by brian.spigel View Post
    I know I could ask Aqua Mira, but I would expect some corporate white-washing from them. I'm hoping someone here has science from chemical/medical/public works experience that's relevant.
    You trust the product enough to use it, but don't trust the company enough to answer a question about their product? If you're that worried, use a filter if you trust one. Otherwise, you're left with boiling water or going untreated.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    You trust the product enough to use it, but don't trust the company enough to answer a question about their product? If you're that worried, use a filter if you trust one. Otherwise, you're left with boiling water or going untreated.
    It didn't occur to me until after I started using it.

Aqua Mira has two bottles that are mixed together shortly before the water is consumed. Is it not possible to mix them together beforehand and just carry one bottle instead of both?

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Aqua Mira has two bottles that are mixed together shortly before the water is consumed. Is it not possible to mix them together beforehand and just carry one bottle instead of both?
    The chemical compound formed by mixing the two parts will only last a certain amount of time before it is no longer effective. I don't know how long that is, so it's better to follow the instructions.

My thinking is that it may be sold separately as it has an undetermined store life, but mixed together it might have enough longevity to last long enough to do what its meant to do.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    For a limited time, yes.
    Many people will premix enough for a couple liters in a 3 ml dropper. Sealed up tight, it lasts at least 24 hrs. In my experience, it will last a couple days that way . But must keep it sealed, and dark, away from uv.

There was similar product to Aqua Mira that was based on mixing a days worth of product into a bottle to be used during the day. This cut out the 5 minute mix step but added some complexity in planning water use during the day. The CLO2 breaks down pretty quickly so a new batch had to be made every day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++