WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I recently got a long Marmot Radon from sierra trading post for under 300 bucks. 0 degree bag, 850 fill down, and just a few ounces over 3 pounds. I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces as I got it this spring but it was the best value to quality I could find on a new winter bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth & Wasabi View Post
    I recently got a long Marmot Radon from sierra trading post for under 300 bucks. 0 degree bag, 850 fill down, and just a few ounces over 3 pounds. I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces as I got it this spring but it was the best value to quality I could find on a new winter bag.
    Thank you for being the only one to actually reply to the post the way it was meant to. I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenul View Post
    Thank you for being the only one to actually reply to the post the way it was meant to. I'll look into it.
    I dont think anyone could really understand the question, if there was one.

U can find a good used 0* quilt, just missed one here that was for sale...did you specify where winter is? How cold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HG Burrow 0* NWT Down Quilt

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my question/help for you is simple. I need a $300 winter sleeping bag suggestion, a possible 65L Bag that's reliable and affordable. $300 for a sleeping bag is insane to me. Possible clothes that would help me in a winter situation. What I normally use is too bulky when packed. A possible DIY under quilt that'll help me keep my booty warm if I hang. And I'm sure other things I'm forgetting. I've got a tarp, hammock, and cook kit managed already as well as a saw, knife, and axe. Some things are worth the weight and needed. I also have some base layers I'll be bringing as well. The really bulky stuff is just my coat and my pajama bottoms. Never had a good bag so always needed them.

I realize not a lot of that made sense. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Thats his question

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenul View Post
    Never answered my question---If you say you're doing alot of winter camping trips---What bag are you using for these trips???

[QUOTE=Arsenul;2165878]

I have $300 I am willing to spend on a sleeping bag that needs to be a long version. I have a Big Agnes Q Core sleeping pad I'm content with. My cook kit as well is well thought out through experience and I like it based off that. So my question/help for you is simple. I need a $300 winter sleeping bag suggestion, a possible 65L Bag that's reliable and affordable. $300 for a sleeping bag is insane to me. /QUOTE]

If you are winter camping with a hammock, I'd recommend an Underquilt such as an Incubator by Hammockgear. It will compress and keep you warm.

Another option is to use a DIY Peapod. If you are familiar with Shug on YouTube, this is what he uses in Minnesota winters. If you haven't checked out his channel, I'd recommend it.

Personally I wasn't sure if winter hammock camping was for me, so I just modified an existing 0* sleeping bag to work as a PeaPod. I added an extender to give me some more room. Below is a link to a video by TZBrown over on Hammockforums where he shows adding an extender to an existing synthetic bag.

https://youtu.be/dGnnLJgp88s

Finally if you aren't on Hammockforums, come check it out. There are often people that meet locally (called group hangs) and that is a great way to pick up ideas on winter hammocking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++