WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Crowdsource Request: Help Convert Time to Miles/Elevation - Anish and Joeycamps FKTs

We need some help documenting the Anish and (current) Joeycamps FKT hikes. This post summarizes the steps involved that have been discussed in other threads. If you want to help, here's what you can do:

1. Go to this spreadsheet and pick any elapsed time "pin" entry for Anish or Joeycamps where the mileage, elevation, etc. have not yet been entered -- where only the elapsed time has been entered so far.

2. Reference this map to get a visual reference for the "pin" you have chosen: https://mapalist.com/map/638124

3. Use another reference like AWOL or the Guthook app to determine a SOUTHBOUND mileage and elevation for the pin you have chosen.

4. Enter that mileage into the corresponding space on the spreadsheet.

5. Enter other data including "source," "source pub date," and "notes" if possible.

5a: BONUS: If using a digital resource, link your "Source" entry to a published screenshot.

6. Pat yourself on the back for participating in this crowdsourcing effort.

Images

I'm sorta torn on this----shouldn't it be up to the individual hiker to keep track of his/her time themselves?

that way they know what speed they are hiking at....

or is this just a way to verify their records?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    I'm sorta torn on this----shouldn't it be up to the individual hiker to keep track of his/her time themselves?

that way they know what speed they are hiking at....

or is this just a way to verify their records?
    These hikers are/were absolutely keeping track of their own time and miles.
    This effort is to establish mileposts for the GPS pings sent out by these hikers automatically from their GPS Spot (or similar devices). The GPS pings do not contain AT mileposts (obviously). We want mileage to appear with the pins on this map: https://mapalist.com/map/638124, and the best way we figured out to do it was to manually look at the map and then get a mileage from another AT data source such as AWOL or Guthook. I think Guthook works best because it offers a visual mapview analogous to the mapalist map. I'm confident that my work is accurate to 1/10 mile so far.
    This is a totally voluntary crowdsource effort, mostly just for the fun of it. Please feel zero pressure to participate.

Images

Here's a utility to map lat,lon to trail,mile: http://bighike.net/calc

That'll be very helpful. Did you just create that? Thanks. But we need lat,lon to enter... That data does not seem to available at https://mapalist.com/map/638124. I'm sure Matt Kirk has that.... Maybe he can release it at some point.

Somebody is working on the spread sheet now and using the bighike/calc -- but where are they getting lat/lon? Am I missing something?

Disregard my initial instructions.... it turns out there is a much easier way to get the mileage than manual looking at guthook or whatever.... We're getting it done...

Glad there are a lot of smarter people than me around ;-)

Images

We just need to convert 2d, 23h, 50m => 2:23:50 to get really fine grained line graphs. Edit: Column M is a converted duration that could be used as the X axis in a graph.

Last edited by Linesman; 08-19-2017 at 16:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    We just need to convert 2d, 23h, 50m => 2:23:50 to get really fine grained line graphs. Edit: Column M is a converted duration that could be used as the X axis in a graph.

Yeah, we'll convert. Let's hold off until we get all data entered. A carrot for us.

About your calculator: If the lat/lon hits directly on a landmark, the calculator returns the the Landmark but no mileage. I know I can click on the landmark to get the NOBO mileage and then subtract to get SOBO, but it would be nice not to.... I know, I know, beggars can't be choosers.

I'm willing to keep working on this, a few pins at a time, over the next few days/weeks.

I too am looking forward to seeing what we can do to visualize the data.

Thanks for your work... Fun, I guess.

Whatever happen to the honor system?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Whatever happen to the honor system?
    This is not at all about verifying... we just want more data to crunch and mileposts on our maps.

Images

Column K assumes 60 hour per day. I want a few of those. Yes, not helpful but my Excel skills are declining.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    Column K assumes 60 hour per day. I want a few of those. Yes, not helpful but my Excel skills are declining.
    Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Linesman View Post
    Good catch.
    Your arithmetic for your conversion from nDnHnM was off. I think I've corrected it. Nice job parsing the digits from what Matt gave us. I've added some columns to do split time/mph etc..... About halfway through Anish's hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Your arithmetic for your conversion from nDnHnM was off. I think I've corrected it. Nice job parsing the digits from what Matt gave us. I've added some columns to do split time/mph etc..... About halfway through Anish's hike.
    Nice, table's looking good. The calculator should be giving miles every time now.

Yeah, looks good. Thanks. What is this coded in?

Images

Node.js. I added cumulative elevation gain to the output. Probably a more interesting metric than plain elevation.

We can probably write a formula to sum only positive values in a column. We could run that and compare to your total. Would be interesting to see the difference.

This whole effort is a very good example of the computer science concept of "heuristics." I've been looking for an example to help explain the concept to my students and this just might be it. There is no real exactness to the hike tracking and our related data and models, only various approaches that seek as much exactness as possible given the tools and data available...

I think the sheet is current. Anish's hike is entered. All mileage has been determined using bighike.net/calc. Now we just enter Camps as pins appear on https://mapalist.com/map/638124

++ New Posts ++