WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default New pack recommendations

I almost bought a ULA circuit this morning but got cold feet when I realized that its top weight rating is 35 lbs. My usual weekend backpacking trip weight is about 28 lb but on longer trips and on other occasions I can go up to 40 lbs. I would like anything I buy to be comfortable up to 40 lbs because I carry that much when I hike with my wife. Other than the max weight rating the circuit is perfect for my needs. Here are my criteria...

a) 3 lbs or under but 3.5 would be ok-ish
    b) same carrying capacity as the circuit - a little bigger is OK
    c) XL waist strap with 38 inches of padding - same as the XL circuit (as far as I know nobody else has this)
    d) XL waist strap with big pockets like the circuit
    e) possibility of getting XL shoulder straps - mine are short on me on all of my packs (as far as I know nobody else has this)
    f) shovel pocket or expanding mesh front pocket
    g) $250 or less but I could stretch to $300 if it was "perfect"
    h) waterproof would be nice but not necessary.

I know that the catalyst is probably the best alternate choice considering what I want, but I don't want huge. The catalyst is really way too big for me. Zimmerbuilt would get me exactly what I want but I would guess he's out of my price range.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Edit: Disregard, I somehow missed your last paragraph about the catalyst.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Edit: Disregard, I somehow missed your last paragraph about the catalyst.
    I've got a few packs. My gregory baltaro fills the huge category nicely but its really heavy. I'm afraid there may be nothing that fits the bill. The waist belt and strap length issue is something that only maybe ULA and a custom pack co. would offer. That's the point of the post though - to see if there's something I've overlooked. I really like the seekoutside unaweep but the hip belt comes up short on two counts and the price is painful since its not perfect for me.

Journal Entries

I put the upper end of my circuit at 28-29. I carried 31-32 once with a 6.5L water carry with 5 days food, and it sucked. But..my torso is a tad short so when it sags, it sucks sooner, if that makes any sense.

Ive seen plenty of catalysts with little in them. They dont look any bigger than circuit when half empty.

If you want 40 routinely and comfortably, thats conventional pack territory.

The right pack will make the weight feel lighter, than trying to carry it in a lightweight pack without structure and belt to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    . I really like the seekoutside unaweep but the hip belt comes up short on two counts and the price is painful since its not perfect for me.
    I don't understand what your contention with the Unaweep is? I have one...its the best hip belt on any pack I own. You have to buy hip pockets separately, but they're huge.

I almost bought a ULA circuit this morning but got cold feet when I realized that its top weight rating is 35 lbs. My usual weekend backpacking trip weight is about 28 lb but on longer trips and on other occasions I can go up to 40 lbs. I would like anything I buy to be comfortable up to 40 lbs because I carry that much when I hike with my wife. Other than the max weight rating the circuit is perfect for my needs. Here are my criteria...

a) 3 lbs or under but 3.5 would be ok-ish
    b) same carrying capacity as the circuit - a little bigger is OK
    c) XL waist strap with 38 inches of padding - same as the XL circuit (as far as I know nobody else has this)
    d) XL waist strap with big pockets like the circuit
    e) possibility of getting XL shoulder straps - mine are short on me on all of my packs (as far as I know nobody else has this)
    f) shovel pocket or expanding mesh front pocket
    g) $250 or less but I could stretch to $300 if it was "perfect"
    h) waterproof would be nice but not necessary.

I know that the catalyst is probably the best alternate choice considering what I want, but I don't want huge. The catalyst is really way too big for me. Zimmerbuilt would get me exactly what I want but I would guess he's out of my price range.
    I'll never understand the logic you just expressed concerning the Catalyst. The compression system and roll top closure put the Catalyst in day pack volume. When you need the 40 pound capacity it's there when you need it. The Catalyst definitely handles 40 pounds comfortably.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Six Moon Designs Fusion 50 or 65. Their load rating is whatever you can fit in the pack. In other words, it was designed to be a load hauler. I believe it checks off your criteria with exception of XL shoulder straps but they do list the length of their straps. If you have a 22 inch torso or greater this pack wouldn't be a good fit but aside from that, give it consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    I don't understand what your contention with the Unaweep is? I have one...its the best hip belt on any pack I own. You have to buy hip pockets separately, but they're huge.
    Hard to evaluate anything by looking at pictures. I have a 43 waist. The unaweep goes to 42. If it's like most backpacks it accommodates a 42 by making the hip straps longer, not the padding. No good pictures on the website. I sent the a question about the padded length of the xl hip belt and so far haven't gotten an answer. I have an issue with having go pay extra for the pockets since the pack is so expensive. That's my opinion, others might welcome paying extra for something that is usually included. They do seem huge but in a deep direction rather than length. Again, looking at a picture online makes it hard to tell. But it looks like it would be difficult to get things out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I'll never understand the logic you just expressed concerning the Catalyst. The compression system and roll top closure put the Catalyst in day pack volume. When you need the 40 pound capacity it's there when you need it. The Catalyst definitely handles 40 pounds comfortably.
    Wayne

You don't know what other packs I already have. The catalyst gets me a much lighter huge pack. I have a Gregory baltoro, 70L 5.5 lbs, and a Lowe alpine contour which holds 90 L and weighs nearly 7 lbs. if someone else was paying for it I would love to have a catalyst but spending 260 to get a lighter pack that will do the same load/volume as one I already have takes some convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Six Moon Designs Fusion 50 or 65. Their load rating is whatever you can fit in the pack. In other words, it was designed to be a load hauler. I believe it checks off your criteria with exception of XL shoulder straps but they do list the length of their straps. If you have a 22 inch torso or greater this pack wouldn't be a good fit but aside from that, give it consideration.
    I bought a first generation fusion 50 about 3 months ago for half price. Youre right about load capability. The first generation pack is way off on volume, though The 50 L claim should be more like 36 to 40. The largest waist belt is a little too small, although I like it otherwise. The shoulder straps are too short. The shovel pocket is small and weird shaped as are the side water bottle pockets. I like the pack and I use it for overnights but it has a number of serious flaws. That's probably why they redesigned it and sold the originals at a very deep discount.

Simply call ULA...Chris is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Perfect usually comes with a bigger price tag. If an extra $100 gets you there isn't it worth stretching the budget?

Journal Entries

For 40 lbs to me that is external frame. Pack weight about 5-7 lbs to be expected. External may be heavy and old school but it is far more comfortable to carry heavy loads.

I'm about 200 miles away from katahdin and I've carried my Circuit the whole way. I'm a 6'3 dude and all my stuff is XL, and I've made it work fine.
    I totally understand your cold feet but realistically if you can't get your load below 35 with food you need to rethink what you want to carry.

Maybe check out Granite Gear? Or get the same osprey that 90% of your hiker buddies will have and it'll be good. Eventually you'll get used to it either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Perfect usually comes with a bigger price tag. If an extra $100 gets you there isn't it worth stretching the budget?
    I agree with that 100%. I haven't found perfect though and probably wont. The big issue is the waist belt size. I really like the unaweep at least from looking at the pictures and reading the descriptions. The waist belt doesn't appear to be long enough (important issue) and the separate hip belt pockets available don't appeal to me. I could make my own pockets and that issue is easily solved. I could make my own hip belt also but I really dont want to do that. Pockets are easy - hip belts, not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I'm about 200 miles away from katahdin and I've carried my Circuit the whole way. I'm a 6'3 dude and all my stuff is XL, and I've made it work fine.
    I totally understand your cold feet but realistically if you can't get your load below 35 with food you need to rethink what you want to carry.

Maybe check out Granite Gear? Or get the same osprey that 90% of your hiker buddies will have and it'll be good. Eventually you'll get used to it either way.

I could make the circuit work fine if I was thru hiking, but I'm buying it to fit a niche in my pack "collection" and with its weight limitation it doesn't quite fit. When you have a bunch of packs you can afford to be picky.

packs I own

1. lowe alpine contour - 90L weights 7 lbs
    2. REI ridgeline - 65L (pre-flash model) weighs 4.5 lbs
    3. Gregory Baltoro - 70L weighs about 5.5 lbs
    4. Six Moons fusion 1st generation) 50L weighs about 2 lbs - really more like a little less than 40L
    5. JanSport Scout 63L weighs about 4 lbs - was going to use the frame to built a custom pack similar to the unaweep but haven't done it (yet)

I love backpacking and gear and I bought everything above either at a clearance sale or used. The lowe is only used these days as a loaner, but its huge volume served me well at Philmont. One of the kids got sick one day and I took nearly half of her gear. The pack weighed nearly 70 lbs but it carried it comfortably. Anyhow I'm looking for something like the circuit with a suspension like the catalyst. Maybe it doesn't exist. The current fusion is close but not quite what I wanted due to the weird (smallish) shovel pocket.

My 3 day loaded pack weight is about 30 lbs. I use a hammock and that gear tends to be slightly heavier and bulkier. I estimate that a hammock and associated gear gives you at least a 1 lb penalty. With the gear I've chosen its closer to 2 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Simply call ULA...Chris is very knowledgeable and helpful.

I have talked with him. He helped me choose the different sizes (hipbelt, straps, bag). I don't see how he can help me with the fact that the circuit has a 35 weight limit. I can almost always be well under 35 lbs, but what gave me cold feets is many many comments I found that the circuit becomes uncomfortable in the high 20's. My loaded pack weight is ALWAYS in the high 20's which would mean that it would almost always be uncomfortable with my typical load.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post

Oh, one more thing - hike on! 200 miles left awesome. I live about 50 miles from Springer.

You don't know what other packs I already have. The catalyst gets me a much lighter huge pack. I have a Gregory baltoro, 70L 5.5 lbs, and a Lowe alpine contour which holds 90 L and weighs nearly 7 lbs. if someone else was paying for it I would love to have a catalyst but spending 260 to get a lighter pack that will do the same load/volume as one I already have takes some convincing.
    Have you actually seen and or used the Catalyst? I bought mine last year to take the place of a 63 liter Jensen Pack and a 90+ Dana Design Terraplane.
    Suffice to say the Catalyst and the Jensen are about equal in terms of capacity, comfort and function. Nothing I own or have used can touch the Terraplane.
    The advertised volume of the Catalyst is optimistic in my opinion. I'm not sure that the Circuit would suit your needs even if the load capacity was 40 pounds. The Catalyst has adequate volume for a 1 week trip September trip in the San Juan mountains of southwestern Colorado.
    Take a drive up to Mountain Crossings and see for yourself.
    My granddaughter has the Catalyst now. I measured as a medium. Given the adjustable hip belt, I could use a large from ULA. I would also get the S straps.
    On the other hand, one of the Unaweep packs would replace both of my current packs.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I have talked with him. He helped me choose the different sizes (hipbelt, straps, bag). I don't see how he can help me with the fact that the circuit has a 35 weight limit. I can almost always be well under 35 lbs, but what gave me cold feets is many many comments I found that the circuit becomes uncomfortable in the high 20's. My loaded pack weight is ALWAYS in the high 20's which would mean that it would almost always be uncomfortable with my typical load.
    Everyone's different but I've carried nearly 35 out of MTR to Whitney on JMT and with any pack the less weight is more comfy...if it works for most trips I don't think can go wrong with circuit....Ive had circuit, gorilla and prophet...highly recommended circuit as I had several friend who aren't UL that bought and all happy with it. You will eventually lighten your load so the circuit is good starting point.....just my $.02.....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++