WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Stringbean and Camps

Yar- nicely done.

Better than cable!!

According to Stringbean's Instagram he hiked 60.3 miles on day 31.

Stringbean ran through our NJ camp last week, at a shelter whose name escapes me. He stopped, said hello, looked fresh & strong & was very friendly. I'm a fan. Go Stringbean, may the force be with you!!!!

Images

Even if stringbean stubs his toe and bails at this point, that is an impressive average over 31 days. Kudos.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Since meeting Stringbean in NJ, I've had a new respect for trail runners and yeah, I've sort of told everyone about him.

Quote Originally Posted by LucyInColor View Post
    Stringbean ran through our NJ camp last week, at a shelter whose name escapes me. He stopped, said hello, looked fresh & strong & was very friendly. I'm a fan. Go Stringbean, may the force be with you!!!!
    It was the Mashipacong Shelter.
    Go, Stringbean, go!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they cross paths near Greylock?

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Did they cross paths near Greylock?
    I can tell you and Chairman... yes they did indeed meet up and talk for a brief bit.
    Can't say when or where though for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I can tell you and Chairman... yes they did indeed meet up and talk for a brief bit.
    I hope we'll see an instagram post about this in a couple of days...

No fist fights? No nothing? Cmon for ratings?! Cmawn!! Kidding of course

Thanks JB, I thought maybe they had missed each other. I bet that was an interesting conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Thanks JB, I thought maybe they had missed each other. I bet that was an interesting conversation.
    They penned a joint letter to Karl and told him to bend the knee.
    Then they made out.

It was kinda weird.

Leonidas

They penned a joint letter to Karl and told him to bend the knee.
    Then they made out.

It was kinda weird.
    I thought the point of the pink thong was to keep it from getting weird?!?!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I thought the point of the pink thong was to keep it from getting weird?!?!
    Things get confusing on these speed hikes. Lack of sleep, lost gear, ravenous hiker hunger, emotional ups and downs.

I'm thinking the pink thong got lost in the shuffle. Thongs are usually good for reviewing splits but maybe there wasn't time to really crack into the details of the hike.

Then again... oft times getting a good look at a pink thong is a precursor to making out.

I'm not sure if it happened in Vermont or Mass but Vermont can get pretty weird... lotta swingers there.

Thought this was worth reposting -- Stringbean's most recent Instagram:

• thestring.beanRECORD UPDATE: My location is revealed!! I am in Maine with 270 miles remaining on day 41. For a quick update, I got wrecked by the Whites. Blown up knees, quads, hammy, the works. I had 3 falls were I landed on part of my face, luckily to be safe there. I ran 1500' down a mountain. It wasn't on the AT so I lost 3 hours. This section puts my hopes in jeopardy, I'll need to average 45 mpd from here on out to break the record, and southern Maine is regarded near as difficult as the whites. Time to carry on!! Now is when I start to make the big push, and I believe I can still finish in under 45 days!! At the very least, this recent spat let me have more time in the Whites, which resulted in a spiritual sunrise experience on Mt Mooselac, a beautiful and solitary (I didn't see another soul) run over Franconia Ridge, the Presis were ��, and loads of support from @kekiracofe who helped me get through some really low moments, as well as loving texts from friends and family. Thank you all! It is still a good day to be alive! Look at previous posts for more deets on the Whites.

He's really doing a good job documenting himself! Also check

https://www.runnersworld.com/appalac...ru-hike-record

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Thought this was worth reposting -- Stringbean's most recent Instagram:

• thestring.beanRECORD UPDATE: My location is revealed!! I am in Maine with 270 miles remaining on day 41. For a quick update, I got wrecked by the Whites. Blown up knees, quads, hammy, the works. I had 3 falls were I landed on part of my face, luckily to be safe there. I ran 1500' down a mountain. It wasn't on the AT so I lost 3 hours. This section puts my hopes in jeopardy, I'll need to average 45 mpd from here on out to break the record, and southern Maine is regarded near as difficult as the whites. Time to carry on!! Now is when I start to make the big push, and I believe I can still finish in under 45 days!! At the very least, this recent spat let me have more time in the Whites, which resulted in a spiritual sunrise experience on Mt Mooselac, a beautiful and solitary (I didn't see another soul) run over Franconia Ridge, the Presis were 🔥, and loads of support from @kekiracofe who helped me get through some really low moments, as well as loving texts from friends and family. Thank you all! It is still a good day to be alive! Look at previous posts for more deets on the Whites.
    So did you, or anyone, follow his recent jump to real time?
    Obviously battling through physical and mental challenges at the moment... but looks like he lost track of things a bit so it's a bit hard to follow.
    I didn't comb through too hard but looks like he missed several days here... 35,39,and 40? Just me or did things go a bit haywire on his posts?

Few days back I privately ran one and 47/48 days looked possible, sub 50 was looking good. 45? not so much.
    Joe's doing amazing, but beating Karl would take the best performance in the whites to date amongst anyone- supported or not.

Not saying anything one way or another... just looking to see if anyone else who is following closer than I has put together his progress?
    There is a 60 to be had up north on the flats to Katahdin but that's super human right off the line kinda miles.
    Karl did the best thus far and he couldn't find it...Here's his start below (the best FKT time I know of up north).
    Just a bit of perspective... I don't see any possible way Joe could best Karl's time, in the whites or on this hike. Hope he doesn't have this so locked in his head he ends up hurting himself trying to pull off what looks highly improbable at this point with 270 to go on day 41.

Joe has consistently been following a linear pace strategy. Sometimes ignorance is bliss...sometimes reality is a bitch.
    Holding on to what he's got left will get him Anish's time. Gunning for Karl at this point and odds are good he'll shoot himself in the foot.
    Date Day Actual Total Miles Actual Location Day Miles
    3-Aug 0 0.0 Katahdin ME
    3-Aug 1 56.0 Jo Mary Rd ME 56.0
    4-Aug 2 100.2 Long Pond Stream 44.2
    5-Aug 3 151.2 US 201 Caratunk ME 51.0
    6-Aug 4 188.2 ME 27 Stratton ME 37.0
    7-Aug 5 233.5 ME 17 Oquossoc ME 45.3
    8-Aug 6 267.2 ME 26 Grafton Notch NH 33.7
    9-Aug 7 298.3 US 2 Gorham NH 31.1
    10-Aug 8 345.4 US 302 Crawford Notch NH 47.1
    11-Aug 9 372.5 Flume Side Trail NH 27.1
    12-Aug 10 408.0 Cape Moonshine Rd NH 35.5

So did you, or anyone, follow his recent jump to real time?
    I've noted missing days in the spreadsheet I'm keeping. I also commented on his Instagram feed when I day was missed, asking for a clarification, or when his daily posted mileage was off which it has been by only a mile maybe once or twice. Here's what I have on him from day 35 on. Day 35 was posted as Day 36. Since in that case it was only one missed day it was easy to extrapolate the Day 36 mileage from the stop mileage on the 35th posted day (mislabeled by Bean as day 36) and the start mileage on Day 37. As for Days 39-41, we don't have much to go on at this point. Just to keep my projections alive, I averaged the mileage between the known points on Days 38 and 42 to a come up with a theoretical mileage for 39, 40, 41.

It will be very interesting to see what other evidence Bean presents at the culmination of his hike. I like the kids, I happened to meet him in TN in July, and I am rooting for this hike to be verifiable. Clearly 3 missing days would be a problem.

35 8/22/17 54.6 1743.4 1,392.90 350.50 to Norwich, VT (Instagrammed as day 36)????
    36 8/23/17 42.2 1785.6 1,420.20 365.40 NO DAY 35 POST on INSTAGRAM ???????
    37 8/24/17 42.2 1827.8 1,466.40 361.40 to Liberty Springs
    38 8/25/17 25.1 1852.9 1,515.60 337.30 to Saco River
    39 8/26/17 21.9 1874.8 1,560.80 314.00 not reported on Instagram - Estimated ??????
    40 8/27/17 21.9 1896.7 1,587.50 309.20 not reported on Instagram - Estimated ??????
    41 8/28/17 21.9 1918.6 1,619.70 298.90 not reported on Instagram - Estimated ??????
    42 8/29/17 41.9 1960.5 1,686.00 274.50 1918.6 E end of Mahoosic Notch to Spurce Mountain

The whole sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++