WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First aid kit

Wow - it looks like we could you a forum just for this question *haha*

Thank you so much. I was afraid of over-packing, but also of under-packing.

One thing I picked from a survival guide was (seriously) something which has no weight really, but can be used to transport water - a condom!
    First I giggled, but actually if you are in an emergency situation that is not a bad idea actually. Unused of course.

I am compiling a list of essentials using your suggestions, I got a Swiss Army Knife, the big one - love it!
    Bandages and bandaids are a no-brainer, I did not think of a small mirror! Makes sense if you have an injury to your eyes or so.

Ok, sitting down now and going through everything to make sure I will only take what makes sense...

Thank you again! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny2000 View Post
    One thing I picked from a survival guide was (seriously) something which has no weight really, but can be used to transport water - a condom!
    ..:-)
    You may try this out and taste the water carried this way beforehand.
    Condoms usually are treated with spermicides, which taste very bitter.

I suspect, that many survival books are filled with nonsense tipps and tricks, which nobody ever really tried out under serious conditions.

If you are looking into a way to carry extra "emergency" water you might as well use ziplock bags (which you will carry anyway).

I have FAK list much like those suggested on here. I also carry Kinesio tape in 6inch lengths and a small roll of that tape; I then make notes, after some YouTube tuition, on how to strap ankles, knees, hands to cope with any sprains,twists etc; better than carrying support ankle, knee bandages; can be used for hot spots on feet as well.

Two safety pins - no needles for sewing as most of the stuff is synthetic.
    Tweezers - ticks, or if I feel the urge to pluck my eyebrows
    Baby powder for humidity. Nothing beats it
    Epsom Salts and Bicarbonate of Soda - multi uses from brushing teeth, removing smells, treating insect bites, to taking a foot bath or soaking sore muscles
    Small Magnesium oil rub bottle
    Slow Magnesium tablets
    Med-Lemon
    Deep Heat and an organic based muscle gel that repels insects
    Immoduim for 2 doses
    Some bandaids of varies sizes that are kept in pants pocket
    No alcohol wipes as my hand santitizer is 45% alcohol proof
    ibuprofen and curcumin
    Advil
    Bandage plaster thing
    Mosquito wipes and patches - they also burn well if you make a fire.
    Vicks vapour rub x 2 - it covers most bases
    Throat lozenges
    small scissors/nail clippers/emery board/tooth picks/ear buds/lemon grass incense sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    If you are looking into a way to carry extra "emergency" water you might as well use ziplock bags (which you will carry anyway).
    Even better, the dry bags you use to keep the water out of your gear can also be used to carry water. The thinner bags will ooze some, but should be good to transport a significant quantity of water from source to camp. The expensive dry bags should be able to hold the water overnight. I've got one cheap 8L bag that I'll use to carry dirty clothes; for "slosh-washing" (hand agitating) those dirty clothes; and for bulk transport from water source to camp. You should always have one dry bag that can be put to use for carrying water without too much inconvenience. For me, it's the dirty clothes sack.

+1 on this one. Multiple uses. It's also very light. Just make sure to buy the kind that is packaged in a mylar zipped bag. This keeps the air out of it and will not glue the tip shut.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    You can also add a small tube of quick-drying cyanoacrylate(SuperGlue) for long-lasting wound closure. Also does double duty for gear repairs...just sayin...
    Chris
    [email protected]
    978-804-1131
    Shuttle services to/from Boston Logan or Manchester, NH airports to/from all points in MA, NH, VT, and ME.

Bahaha - good point! :-)

I think the ziplock bag wins!

I did a search on super glue use on wounds, I have tried it on finger cracks and similar and it does work, however not meant for that use. Here in the UK you can get a product called Liquid Skin for minor cuts and abrasions which is safer to use.
    The risk with superglue, remember you might be using it one handed, is that you spill some and stick your fingers together or to whatever you touch. Superglue is useful to have with you for gear repairs.

My first aid kit is pretty basic.
    Ace Bandage
    few band-aids
    antibiotic ointment
    Ibuprofin
    Benedryl (sleep aid)
    Moleskin

I use the Wet Ones for general cleaning of hands and body, but also used on a bloody toe once. They supposedly kill 99.9% of germs. The trekking poles, I have used as crutches when my knee hurt terribly. Small knife with sharp point has first aid possibilities. As mentioned, cordage and bandannas can be used as first aid. I don't know that nail clippers are first aid or grooming, but long toenails can cause a first aid situation - so for trips longer than a week, nail clippers should be included.
    Some have listed multiple NSAIDs in their kits - be careful, according to Doctors and Pharmacists, you shouldn't mix NSAIDs. So Tylenol and one of the others listed, because Tylenol is the only one that isn't an NSAID (or so I understand - I could be wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Some have listed multiple NSAIDs in their kits - be careful, according to Doctors and Pharmacists, you shouldn't mix NSAIDs. So Tylenol and one of the others listed, because Tylenol is the only one that isn't an NSAID (or so I understand - I could be wrong).
    From here:
    The FDA recommends that you consider the following:

• If you use ibuprofen occasionally, there is only a minimal risk that the ibuprofen will interfere with the effect of low-dose aspirin.
    • If you need only a single dose of ibuprofen, take it 8 hours before or 30 minutes after taking a regular (not enteric-coated) low-dose aspirin.
    So basically you can start taking aspirin 8 hours after your supply of ibuprofen runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    ...So basically you can start taking aspirin 8 hours after your supply of ibuprofen runs out.
    The anti-platelet effect of low dose aspirin is irreversable and occurs within 30 minutes of taking the dose. Just take your Daily Aspirin 30 minutes prior to or 6 hours after your Ibuprofen dose.

Everybody will have different needs but I think a FAK should address the following situations. Minor cuts & bites, blisters, diarrhea, allergic reactions, minor pain, wound treatment, stomach acid, and tick/splinter removal. Many good suggestions above.

What I don't see is treatment for major trauma that probably would require external help for evacuation. It's impossible to anticipate and carry everything needed even with a group dedicated to mountaineering. As a stop gap, I carry a blood clotting preparation such as QuikClot. It's a heavy component of the FAK, but will be highly valuable if and when the day it is needed.

What I use the most are Aleve, Bacitracin ointment, and Leukotape. Even with my lightest set of gear options, I would always have these on hand.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Laxitive
    anti-diahretic
    pain killer
    clean guaze
    duck tape
    soap & water

This think is the best I've ever used to remove ticks.
    https://www.tickedoff.com/
    Bought one years before I ever had a need to use it. When I did I was amazed at how much better than some other gadgets I've tried over the years...and way better than tweezers
    I liked it so much after that one time I ordered a bunch more, for all my first aid kits, my truck, one for home, one for son's scout kit......

And gorilla glue, that snot will fix just about anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++