WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Science, Solitude And The Sacred On The Appalachian Trail - WAMC

WAMC

Science, Solitude And The Sacred On The Appalachian Trail
    WAMC
    That's because I'm walking the Appalachian Trail — alone. And while I am, without doubt, scared of being eaten by a bear, I'll be out there looking for that most precious of possibilities: solitude. Solitude can be hard to find in the modern world ...

and more »

More...

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up I know the feeling

When I hike the A.T., meeting even one person for a few seconds is almost a disappointment --it spoils my sense of solitude. Not that I hate people -- quite the opposite, I post here BECAUSE I am committed to reaching out to others -- but I recognize the joy (in the C.S. Lewis sense) of the solitary journey.

One thing the writer of that article needs to know: sometimes you DON'T get solitude when you're on the A.T.!
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/ent...ou-live-Part-1

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

You can't expect solitude on any trail - they're all meant for other people to use. Not just you.

I have a feeling his week of hiking on the AT won't be quite what he seems to be expecting. Although, even as popular as the AT has become, you can be alone for much of the time. You might even have a vista all to yourself for 15 minutes.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    When I hike the A.T., meeting even one person for a few seconds is almost a disappointment --it spoils my sense of solitude. Not that I hate people -- quite the opposite, I post here BECAUSE I am committed to reaching out to others -- but I recognize the joy (in the C.S. Lewis sense) of the solitary journey.

One thing the writer of that article needs to know: sometimes you DON'T get solitude when you're on the A.T.!
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/ent...ou-live-Part-1
    If solitude is an important quality of your hike (and it certainly is for me), then the AT may not be the best choice of trails.

++ New Posts ++