Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Ziplines in each direction...
    I LIKE this idea!

A pair of towers on both banks with pully lines to augment the canoes.

Wanna-be hiker trash Sarcasm the elf's Avatar
    Images

Can't the almighty thru hikers just command the waters to part for them?
    "This sucks and I love it."

I'd say no to a powerboat and no to any fees to cross. We're already nickel and dimed enough up there by having to pay to set up a tent in the woods. A cheap solution would be to take a collection for a cable type suspension bridge and build it. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just safe. Voila, no wait times and no paychecks for someome to paddle you across. I'd throw in a little as well. Gofundme. Done.
    - Trail name: Thumper

In Sweden they use the thee boat system, with no staff, chickens, or foxes. There is always 1 boat on one side and two on the other (row boats). If you come to the crossing and there's only one boat, you riw across, tow on boat back, cross again, keep going.

Kennebec seems really wide there and the southern bank has no height for a long way back. A bridge would need some towers as others have said. it seems half the wait is to sign documents to take care of the legal requirements. Honestly, I usually b>tch about everything, but thru hikers are out there for 5-6 months. Waiting on the banks of that one river is annoying while you are there, but it quickly fades once you start walking. Just about everyone stays at Pierce Pond Shelter (NOBO) on the way in, so if you can't wait, get up early and get to the river bank early and be one of the first across. I thought waiting 45 minutes at the Kennebec (we got there early) was not one of the real gripes of the trail. There are better opportunities to spend $1M on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    I'd say no to a powerboat and no to any fees to cross. We're already nickel and dimed enough up there by having to pay to set up a tent in the woods. A cheap solution would be to take a collection for a cable type suspension bridge and build it. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just safe. Voila, no wait times and no paychecks for someome to paddle you across. I'd throw in a little as well. Gofundme. Done.
    It actually does have to be quite "fancy". As it would be on the AT most likely at least a portion on National Park Service Land, it has to be handicapped accessible, that considerably raises the cost. Given the long span and the catenary curve of the deck, I dont see a standard cable suspension bridge being viable as the slope would most likely exceed acceptable maximum slope standards for wheelchairs. Sure build a tall enough tower on either end and run enough cables to intermediate points along the bridge and it can be clear span while keeping it level but expect this option is in the 10s of millions dollar range. Far cheaper to route the trail north on the Maine Huts and Trails route and then cross over the river at the Forks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Millions for a bridge. 15K for a used Boston Whaler.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++