WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Just for fun: compare difficulty of LT app gap to whiteface to AT thru the whites

Ok completely just for fun. I recently hiked the LT and the section from Waitsfield/Appalachian Gap to Whiteface Mountain I found pretty challenging. It's about 50 miles and you climb up Burnt Rock Mt, Mt. Ethan Allen, Camel's Hump, Mt. Mansfield, Madonna Peak and of course Whiteface Mt in this section. There were a lot of times I was like the trail goes that way? Really?!

I've hiked some on the Whites but not the entire AT through the Whites. The Presi traverse that I did though I don't recall as many moments where I had to scramble and grab onto roots and make jumps etc. as I did during that LT section. Certainly there were some tough sections there too. Maybe it's recency bias.

Ok so have at it whiteblaze! Which is more difficult? The 50 miles of LT that covers Camel's Hump and Mt. Mansfield or the AT thru the NH Whites? To make it even you can compare the hardest 50 miles of the AT thru the Whites.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

That section of the LT is the "Readers Digest" version of the Whites or Maine.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There are some short stretches of LT where you could die from a single mis-step. That is rarely true on the AT. LT is not nearly as well maintained as the AT.

++ New Posts ++